DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Keep your drone in view at all times?

I live in a heavily forested area in northern Ontario and if I fly straight up I have LOS. If I go more than 20-30 yards in any direction after attaining altitude, I have no LOS. No big deal. I have great FPV!

Irresponsible? No.
irresponsible? Yes.
VLOS is not only a rule about eye sight. It also means that the antenna has an unobstructed line of 'sight' to the receiver (mavic). Any obstruction can cause the mavic to loose link. Many many drone users lost their bird after launching it on an open spot in a dense forrest.

Not judging anyone here right now but just to clarify the term VLOS as many people just seem to interpret VLOS to their own needs.

Visual Line Of Sight means that the controller antenna can 'see' the receiver at all times, without any obstruction. Of course it also means that you always must be able to see the drone without visual aids. It doesn't mean that you can never lose it out of sight. The map and radar is there to quickly get an idea of where the drone is relative to your position, just in case you lost sight. Main thing is that the drone remains controllable because of the unobstructed line of link (sight).

Max VLOS range is determined by the visuality of the drone, if you lose sight after 150m than that's the max VLOS distance. 500m is the absolute maximum range in most countries, but only for bigger drones. In VLOS you are required to be able to determine the heading and judge the flying condition and behaviour from where you stand. So just to be able to see it as a tiny dot against the sky is considered well beyond VLOS.

Reactions: Masheen
I flew out from the top of Bluebell hill yesterday and was able to see the mavic at just over 5000 feet away, a tiny black dot to be sure but I could still see it even after looking down at the screen to check the distance and image. My eyesight used to be very good when I was younger but I'm now 60 years old. The drone code here in the United Kingdom says below 400 feet and within visual line of site. There is a suggestion that says this is 500 metres, but I would definitely argue that if I can see my mavic and determine that it is nowhere near other objects then I am following the rules. Telemetry and video feed are there to judge the heading flying condition and behaviour of the aircraft.

Reactions: Mavman and Masheen
Telemetry and video feed are there to judge the heading flying condition and behaviour of the aircraft.
nope, if telemetry and video feed drop out you should/must be able to determine heading and flight behaviour with the naked eye.

Mavic shows distance & height data on the remote. As long as you can see the aircraft then you can tell if it is moving left or right from you, and whether it is moving away from or towards you by using distance data on the remote. So long as you know how to fly your aircraft return is very easy and safe. If you lose remote connection then is there really any difference if it's 500 meters or 1500 meters, you've still got to rely on RTH working correctly.

Hopefully, and I have observed screen shots on this site, attempts at long distances are made over water, ares of wilderness or sparse population.
If something go wrong, only lost is the drone. Something to keep in mind if attempting long flights.

Under normal operating conditions the Mavic is capable with the push of an icon to RTH. Your not even required to push the icon, Maverick will turn itself around and return to home. It obviously has more flight intelligence then I. Trust Mavic abilities and fly safe.

Reactions: Mike357
Not judging anyone here right now but just to clarify the term VLOS as many people just seem to interpret VLOS to their own needs.
Sounds like your needs for this post.
Sec. 336 of Public Law and FAA interpretation of that law state only eyes on aircraft. There is no mention of VLOS pertaining to RC/aircraft "line of sight".
In VLOS you are required to be able to determine the heading and judge the flying condition and behaviour from where you stand.
Can you indicate where these "requirements" are stated? I have not seen this, except in regards to AMA nightflying guidelines for fixed wing aircraft.

irresponsible? Yes.
VLOS is not only a rule about eye sight. It also means that the antenna has an unobstructed line of 'sight' to the receiver (mavic). Any obstruction can cause the mavic to loose link. Many many drone users lost their bird after launching it on an open spot in a dense forrest.
IMO, only irresponsible if you will lose control and hurt somebody else. NOT irresponsible if you are only risking your own personal property.
Please post your references to VLOS as the law applies to sUAS's, especially for hobby use.

IMO, only irresponsible if you will lose control and hurt somebody else. NOT irresponsible if you are only risking your own personal property.
Please post your references to VLOS as the law applies to sUAS's, especially for hobby use.
Sorry, not familiar with AMA hobby rules. I'm a pro certified up to 25Kg MTOM. The full deal. The rules in my country may be stricter than US. So go ahead and beat me.

How can you say not irresponsible, you don't know beforehand that your drone won't hurt someone else, especially when you don't have it in VLOS.

I'm done here.

Reactions: MrsTreat
I Always want to keep my mavic in sight. You can't see what happening around your mavic by just flying on the camera.
Few days ago, some birds where really interested in my mavic, coming real close to it. I put it in sport mode and took off.
With only camera view, i would never noticed the birds.

Reactions: Lake_Flyer
I Always want to keep my mavic in sight. You can't see what happening around your mavic by just flying on the camera.
Few days ago, some birds where really interested in my mavic, coming real close to it. I put it in sport mode and took off.
With only camera view, i would never noticed the birds.

The reverse can be true as well. Very often I can't see an obstacle with my eyes, but the camera feed helps me see it.

Bottom line, VLOS is a dated guideline for a time before reliable fpv and RTH, and those that seek to preserve it seek to neuter the hobby.

Make no mistake, FPV IS the hobby, and if we don't have that this hobby loses much of its appeal.

Drones empower normal people to feel like they can fly like birds. Why should the government/ private commercial lobbies have a monopoly on this incredible experience?

Bottomest line - just fly safely, don't annoy people, and use good judgement. No amount of regulation for average citizens is going to stop the determined from using any basic technology as they will. If you tell me you could still see it, who am I to second guess you. ;)

Sorry, not familiar with AMA hobby rules. I'm a pro certified up to 25Kg MTOM. The full deal. The rules in my country may be stricter than US. So go ahead and beat me.

How can you say not irresponsible, you don't know beforehand that your drone won't hurt someone else, especially when you don't have it in VLOS.

I'm done here.
No worries. I say not irresponsible in the case of the guy flying around his house in the secluded wooded area.

The Mavic is pretty much out of sight at 300 ft. I think the Mavic's cost and capability are overkill if you don't fly it.

Why buy a sports car and cruise at 35mph? There are areas where you can stretch your legs safely.

Reactions: Toruk Makto and Rnl

Visual Line Of Sight means that the controller antenna can 'see' the receiver at all times, without any obstruction. Of course it also means that you always must be able to see the drone without visual aids. It doesn't mean that you can never lose it out of sight. The map and radar is there to quickly get an idea of where the drone is relative to your position, just in case you lost sight. Main thing is that the drone remains controllable because of the unobstructed line of link (sight).

Max VLOS range is determined by the visuality of the drone, if you lose sight after 150m than that's the max VLOS distance. 500m is the absolute maximum range in most countries, but only for bigger drones. In VLOS you are required to be able to determine the heading and judge the flying condition and behaviour from where you stand. So just to be able to see it as a tiny dot against the sky is considered well beyond VLOS.
I refere u to my previouse posts

Flying FPV is in fact IFR flying.
As soon as aviation authorities have finally decided upon IFR (instrument flying rules) for drones, things will be different and it will become normal to limit drones to VLOS distances which can't be unlocked unless an IFR rating is proven. Right now, DJI won't yet do this, purely marketing wise. Getting an IFR rating will be quite expensive, involves a very serious training and the drone must have extra equipment such as transponder and strobes.

That's how the future will be, thanks to irresponsible FPV flying by amateurs.

I refere u to my previouse posts
In most countries a spotter does not extend the legal VLOS distance unless you have a rating to fly BVLOS.

Only under Part 107, not hobby use.
Thanks for info...I think people like to ignore this issue cos it makes EVERYTHING in this thread defending this rule 'POPPYCOCK'!

Reactions: Mike357
The Mavic is pretty much out of sight at 300 ft. I think the Mavic's cost and capability are overkill if you don't fly it.

Why buy a sports car and cruise at 35mph? There are areas where you can stretch your legs safely.
Well said

Flying FPV is in fact IFR flying.
As soon as aviation authorities have finally decided upon IFR (instrument flying rules) for drones, things will be different and it will become normal to limit drones to VLOS distances which can't be unlocked unless an IFR rating is proven. Right now, DJI won't yet do this, purely marketing wise. Getting an IFR rating will be quite expensive, involves a very serious training and the drone must have extra equipment such as transponder and strobes.

That's how the future will be, thanks to irresponsible FPV flying by amateurs.
It now makes sense why people are re-building and hacking.... when/if these restrictions and extra costs are implimented.... I will do the same.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair