DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Keep your drone in view at all times?

It now makes sense why people are re-building and hacking.... when/if these restrictions and extra costs are implimented.... I will do the same.
I will fly my drone fly the way it was designed to be flown, NOT the way revenue crazed power freeks want me to.

Reactions: v8juice and Mike357
Sorry for trying to keep our hobby accessible in the future.

Well it is not the case!
VLOS can be hundreds of meters in the right conditions. Your backyard argument is critically flawed and is a strawman argument to condone breaking the most basic of rules associated with droning.
So I guess that you have never once exceeded the speed limit or you completely come to a complete stop at every single stop sign. Stop trying to preach about ruining the hobby believe me I try and fly as safe as possible, never trying to do anything dangerous, who wants to crash and destroy their expensive investment or even worse possibly hurt someone, but just because I don't always fly VLOS doesn't mean that I condone some of the moronic things that some people have put on this forum. I still think that for the most part people are always looking to push the boundaries, as long as you are flying over desolate areas or water what is really the big deal. As I said in my first post I never go above the 400' mark as I believe it may pose a threat to manned aircraft and stay away from any landing helicopters. I think that 98% of us fly safe even by pushing the boundaries and 2% are morons that could actually hurt someone. Fly safe, enjoy.

Nice way to excuse yourself from obeying a very simple and basic law of our hobby.
Build up that strawman and tear it down again and again if you want. It doesnt worry me that you have bring such wobbley excuses to the argument.

I was waiting for the rub. And here it is...

Thanks for that.

What law there are no laws just recommendations, show me where the LAWS are then maybe I will follow them, until I see LAWS by the FAA instead of recommendations I will keep on flying the way I have been. the actual manned aircraft have a floor i believe, I'm sure the can't fly below I'm no pilot so I don't know for sure but the 400 foot height limit is there for that particular reason. I have no idea why there would be a VLOS if your flying in no mans land so be happy in your back yard cause I don't believe what I'm doing is going to ruin the hobby there are a lot of nuts doing stupid things with their drones, I'm not one of them.

Reactions: Mike357
In the US for hobby flight it's the law. Do most people abide by it? I'd say not even close. Does this mean it should be ignored? No.

I think I understand what you mean to say, nevertheless...
Like more then one Mavic Pilots site members have stated...Need to be clear if Laws, Guidelines or Standards. In the past I was corrected :rolleyes:.
All of which, correct or not, agree or disagree, are for safety reasons.

Actually, F.A.A. Distances are stated as "Guidelines" not law. Should check with state and local to know if could be "law" in your area.

FAA Safety Guidelines

• Fly at or below 400 feet
  • Be aware of airspace requirements and restrictions
  • Stay away from surrounding obstacles
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol

Reactions: Blades
It is ridiculous to bring up because I've seen/met/known people who say "I have NEVER flown out of VLOS" yet I've seen the footage they've posted that shows the drone behind a tree/building/structure or below a canyon rim or out of view because of treelines/sun. So I can appreciate the novelty and pride of saying "I have never flown out of VLOS" but in most practical cases, with a drone like the MP, that has such long range, speed, and advanced capabilities - just as much as you'll have pilots/operators who are negligent and abuse rules, you have those who care more about perception and technicality yet don't realize themselves that guidelines are B&W and if you are looking around to bring you MP back and you're like "oh, there she is, she's coming back right there" or if you have flown behind tree, or tree line or around an object then YES, you too sir/ma'am have lost VLOS. NOW let's see the discussions/comments about degree of VLOS lost and those who'll come to defend their honor. OR - the classic hidden justification that isn't a justification but in all aspects of the term will be a justification. Fly Safely My Friends, Cheers...

I think I understand what you mean to say, nevertheless...
Like more then one Mavic Pilots site members have stated...Need to be clear if Laws, Guidelines or Standards. In the past I was corrected :rolleyes:.
All of which, correct or not, agree or disagree, are for safety reasons.

Actually, F.A.A. Distances are stated as "Guidelines" not law. Should check with state and local to know if could be "law" in your area.

FAA Safety Guidelines

Yes guidelines - FAA has already been told by Congress that it CANNOT create law and/or regulate hobbyists' UAS's & RC Model planes.

FAA Safety Guidelines

If you are stating that VLOS is a recommendation and not a law, you are incorrect. Under section 336 VLOS is part of the definition of a UAV under hobby flight. If you are not within VLOS then you are not flying a UAV that qualifies under hobby flight.

upload_2017-8-8_9-33-36.png
upload_2017-8-8_9-33-59.png

I just don't think the VLOS "suggestion" will hold up. Big companies like Amazon and similar online shopping outlets have too much influence and are unlikely to abandon their drone delivery plans. It's a new world and the FAA will adapt.

If you are stating that VLOS is a recommendation and not a law, you are incorrect. Under section 336 VLOS is part of the definition of a UAV under hobby flight. If you are not within VLOS then you are not flying a UAV that qualifies under hobby flight.

View attachment 19301
View attachment 19303

I'm not seeing where "Law" is specified? Only rule and guidelines.
What am I missing? Is everything under FAA considered "Law?"

Flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft
The Special Rule for Model Aircraft (P.L. 112-95, Section 336) (PDF) provides the definition and operating rules for flying a model aircraft.

Note: Model aircraft operators that comply with all of these operational requirements during flight do not have to register their UAS with the FAA.

Model aircraft operators must follow these rules to fly under this Rule:

• the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use
  • the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization
  • the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization
  • the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft
  • when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower [when an air traffic facility is located at the airport])
A model aircraft is defined as an unmanned aircraft that:

• capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere
  • flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft
  • flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

Flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft
The Special Rule for Model Aircraft (P.L. 112-95, Section 336) (PDF) provides the definition and operating rules for flying a model aircraft.

Note: Model aircraft operators that comply with all of these operational requirements during flight do not have to register their UAS with the FAA.

Model aircraft operators must follow these rules to fly under this Rule:

• the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use
  • the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization
  • the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization
  • the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft
  • when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower [when an air traffic facility is located at the airport])
A model aircraft is defined as an unmanned aircraft that:

• capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere
  • flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft
  • flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

Looking up definition of law I understand what you may be stating. And so the key is if ..."enforced by penalties?"

law
noun
  1. 1.
    the system of rules that a particular country or community recognizes as regulating the actions of its members and may enforce by the imposition of penalties.
    "they were taken to court for breaking the law"

What I quoted was Section 336 from the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012. This is law from Congress, not from the FAA. It's congress's legal instructions to the FAA that the FAA is required to follow.

Edit: and binding to those people in the US.

Last edited:
What I quoted was Section 336 from the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012. This is law from Congress, not from the FAA. It's congress's legal instructions to the FAA that the FAA is required to follow.

Edit: and binding to those people in the US.
Understand. Thanks.

I use it for photographs and video. No chance in hell I am going to just stare at it in the sky. I'm watching the screen all the time because I want the pictures.

VLOS posters are full of it!

I use it for photographs and video. No chance in **** I am going to just stare at it in the sky. I'm watching the screen all the time because I want the pictures.
Technically you might still be in VLOS. VLOS does not mean you need to be watching it every moment. It just means it needs to be within that distance.

I doubt that the recommendation that you ignore has a on or off switch depending where you are. Not everyone is flying in no-mans land.

Good! keep it that way and stop criticising those of us that take the recommendations seriously.
BTW im in Australia where it is law and until a court case recently? it was also considered law where you live.

How do you know it's the law in the USA when you live in Australia. Where is so called law that states by law you must always have VLOS??

FAA

[ Visual line-of-sight (VLOS) only; the unmanned aircraft must
remain within VLOS of the remote pilot in command and the
person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS.
Alternatively, the unmanned aircraft must remain within
VLOS of the visual observer.

At all times the small unmanned aircraft must remain close
enough to the remote pilot in command and the person
manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS for those
people to be capable of seeing the aircraft with vision
unaided by any device other than corrective lenses.]

Obviously to promote your useless argument you will claim nothing can limit your freedoms.

Im using a cheap chinese device with my mavic and cant see jack on the screen in sunlight, meaning i NEED to keep visuals.

Am i full of it when i say i only fly VLOS?

Seems ignorance is growing strong in this thread.

Recommendations!

I am a new user/flyer and clearly have not followed the rules of keeping the Mavic in sight. In fact, until I read this, I was not aware that it was actually against the law to fly it out of site.

I am confused. Why bother to put maps on the app if I must keep the Mavic in view? Why allow it to fly so many miles away (and market that feature) when doing so breaks the law? I also would not be able to fly very high. How many of you can see a Mavic at 200 or 300 or 400 feet? I sure can't even if it is very near by horizontally.

It's the same as having speedometers on cars that show numbers well beyond the legal speed limit. Just because the capability is there, doesn't mean it should be abused.

It's the same as having speedometers on cars that show numbers well beyond the legal speed limit. Just because the capability is there, doesn't mean it should be abused.
Ah, but like the Mavic cars are built to a specification for use in most countries of the world. Some countries have roads without speed limits so the car is built to allow such speeds. I guess the Mavic is also built in the same way - but with software limiting certain actions in certain countries. That's my take on it anyway!

It is extremely difficult to always fly LOS with a machine like the mavic because of its small size and range abilities. Most of the times I start my flight and move on to 300-400 meters away while looking at it as it goes away. The moment I check my screen there is a 20% possibility that I will recognize the mavic on the sky again. Sad but true...

Canada, 500 meters (1500feet) horizontally and 90 meters vertically from operator... trust me at those ranges I cannot "see" the Mavic, but legally it is still within VLOS for someone with very good eyes or someone who does not take their eyes of it during flight....:):rolleyes:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan