DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Keeping Eyes on the Drone

Given your speciality you may have some clues why with the Epson moverio AR glasses I can see the projected display from GO4 without my reading glasses perfectly (I am squinting to focus on the iPhone screen).
Wow! I just Googled that too $700 at B And H photo-almost the cost of my Mavic Air. Here is their blurb (one attachment for description of these glasses from B and H web site)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 6.04.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 6.04.06 PM.png
    217.7 KB · Views: 18
agreed-yes- of coruse- not everyone has the more expensive iPhone and the others have the regular LED displays

Wow! I just Googled that too $700 at B And H photo-almost the cost of my Mavic Air. Here is their blurb (one attachment for description of these glasses from B and H web site)
I don’t think the price has anything to do with the subject of my curiosity. I would like to understand how the projected image can be perfectly clear where ordinarily I need reading glasses to read text without straining.

My solution is to use polarized clip ons over my prescription glasses. The clip ons are cut out over the close up area of my glasses. When I am looking up at the drone in the sky, I see through the polarized lenses and the bright sky does not make my pupils contract. When I look down at the screen, I am just seeing through the close up part of my glasses and not through te polarizers.

Attachments

• bob2.jpg
    bob2.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 20
They're only good for 1,800 ft! You cant see beyond that. This has been discussed in earlier thread and isnt helpful for most of us who fly beyond that
I have attached three different strobes on my Mavic Zoom. You can clearly see the drone in the daylight.
adorama-ebay-top.jpg

Firehouse Technology ARC Blue. $34-36. Well
worth it. Available on ebay. Very bright.

Stobes like the FHT, or a few other brands, but FHT ARCIIs are brightest by far.
Too bright ?
Maybe.

They have ARCIIs (4 leds), Duals (2 leds), others are a mix or red / blue or red / white in public safety series ARCIIs.
There are also a couple of housed models like the 'Spark' strobe.
Google Firehouse Technology strobes, go to their own website to see all the range and order, Amazon etc don't list them all.

I have my duals on front arms (red and green as per nav setup), and one ARCII on rear in red / white.

View attachment 83582 View attachment 83583 View attachment 83584 View attachment 83585

By FAR, the white leds are most visible, so if wanting total VLOS I'd just get a white ARCII and place it on the back, or underneath, if possible on the back slightly down is good.

Google strobes here on the forums (all forums search) there are a dozen or more recent threads with various makers and options, loads of pics.
I'm thinking of getting some strobes for my Mavic Air , just for daytime flying . Do you see the flashing in any photos or videos taken by the drone ?

I'm thinking of getting some strobes for my Mavic Air , just for daytime flying . Do you see the flashing in any photos or videos taken by the drone ?

I’ve not tested properly re that, but feedback from other members using FHT ARCIIs say no affect whatsoever.
Even flying in very dark conditions.

I would think if heavy fog, or dust etc, there’s HAVE to be some sort of visibility if filming and ARCIIs hitting the fog / dust, but could be not, and who flies to n those conditions.

If you are going for VLOS, go for the ARCII white, they are brightest by far or brands / colours.
Red is supposedly next, followed by blue or green.
The standard navigation setup is white rear, left front red, right front green, and ARCIIs are available in those with 4 same colour leds.
AFAIK, the public safety series are either (2 of each colour led) combo red/white or red/blue.
I have one ARCII in red/white and it’s bright !!
Alternates red white in turn, some pics showing each caught lit up daylight, along with the std rear green status light on my M2P.

41835b86ff4d51426244e7e660bd2ae5.jpg

bfd485dea9b808063c6a7c653894a720.jpg

82dc9f9ccce287bc95fff89f690ad47f.jpg

67d9779d90881d26b2f9546493d15be9.jpg

I’ve got FHT Duals for the front arms in red and green, and a few others of theirs.
They are all good.

I have a visual contact issue when I am flying my MA. My issue is not being able to keeping my eyes on the drone when flying. If I wear my polarized prescription sun glasses I find it hard to actually see the polarized iPhone screen, let alone find the drone in the sky (light or cloudy). Anyone else experience having difficulty finding the drone in the air, if so, how do you overcome this?
Get some sort of eye surgery, deal with the issue, or sell your drones and quit.

I don’t think the price has anything to do with the subject of my curiosity. I would like to understand how the projected image can be perfectly clear where ordinarily I need reading glasses to read text without straining.
I had one for a few weeks before returning it for multiple reasons. I wear glasses and they fit under inside the goggles without problems. I was able to see the display clearly. My issue was that I couldn't see both the display and the drone due to the extreme bright light where I am (central Texas). Even with the dark shields, I could see either the drone or the display but not both.

Too bad, really. It's an awesome device and can help with the VLOS issue for most people.

I have a visual contact issue when I am flying my MA. My issue is not being able to keeping my eyes on the drone when flying. If I wear my polarized prescription sun glasses I find it hard to actually see the polarized iPhone screen, let alone find the drone in the sky (light or cloudy). Anyone else experience having difficulty finding the drone in the air, if so, how do you overcome this?

Lord knows if that 12 oz drone crashes into someone or something, lives will end...<rolling eyes>...

I say fly the thing VLOS.

LOS(t) logic: The larger the drone, the easier it is to see, which makes it safer... Ergo, the M600 Pro is safer than the Mavic Air....<rolling my eyes so hard I may never get them out of the back of my head>....

D

I know these lights help me out a lot. I am in the processing of documenting a project where the constructors are building a shopping mall, gas station, and a warehouse on a lot that use to be a junk yard. it is about 3000 ft (1000 yards) long. and two football fields wide, right next to a private airport. Very interesting project. I have been video taping the project for a few weeks now. i..e (lots of big construction vehicles) from removing of the top soil, and now the plumbing is going in. I expect to be video taping this project for the next several months. the Fire House light arc 4, are very useful on this project. especially in an very open field. I can tell you this, that at a distance I cannot see the drone, just the lights flashing, especially when the sun starts to come up and when the sun is going down.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaVVT