DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Kittyhawk does NOT support Mavic Air 2 and Mavic Mini

Fishhiker

Reactions
I used KittyHawk to get LAANC approval yesterday for a neighborhood flight. I was checking out all the screens of Kittyhawk and saw that it could sync with your Drone and log all our flights and a host of other information on the aircraft and batteries. I could not get KH to recognize the Mavic Air 2 or the controller. So I shot off a qucik email to Kitthawk supprt and they emailed back this morning.
Kittyhawk does not support the Mavic Air 2 or the Mini but hopefully will in the future.
Bummer

Your title may confuse some people, then. I encountered this issue with my Mav Mini too. I was granted authorization but never was able to take off.

I didn't know Kittyhawk could communicate with the quads. I have seen Airmap show up as a potential app to control my M2, but I assumed that was to fly it with Airman and had nothing to do with unlocking the DJI geofencing.

DJI geofencing and FAA approval to fly in controlled airspace through LAANC are two separate functions.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Your title may confuse some people, then. I encountered this issue with my Mav Mini too. I was granted authorization but never was able to take off.
In addition to getting LAANC approval, you also may need to unlock the geozone in the app. You can do this with the self unlock within the app as long as you have internet connection.

In addition to getting LAANC approval, you also may need to unlock the geozone in the app. You can do this with the self unlock within the app as long as you have internet connection.

Thats what I kept reading online.. but it never worked for me. Although I didn’t see my authorization in my DJI Fly app until the following day when I was in my own neighborhood. Do you have to click on it to activate the authorization?

I’ll try again and update back here with my findings.

Reactions: Capt. Paradise
This whole process seems a bit confusing and unsynchronized. Sounds like a pilot has to switch between apps (and have a internet connection while in the field) to perform any flight not in the middle of nowhere. I am about to purchase my first drone and find all of this chatter a little unnerving..... can anyone clarify in simple non-remote pilot terms? Much appreciated!!

Reactions: A.O.
Thats what I kept reading online.. but it never worked for me. Although I didn’t see my authorization in my DJI Fly app until the following day when I was in my own neighborhood. Do you have to click on it to activate the authorization?

I’ll try again and update back here with my findings.
After you get the LAANC auth in Kittyhawk and you know you have permission to fly, you will need internet connection with the fly app. When in the locked geozone area, just try to take off. You will get a message saying you’re in a locked geozone and it will give you one of two options (and I haven’t figured out why I get one sometimes and the other other times). But one will simply ask you to check boxes saying you take full responsibility of flying there and then click agree and you’ll be good to go. The other thing that can happen is you get an option to self unlock the geo zone. You’ll click yes and it will have you enter your phone number. It will text you an auth code that you copy and paste into this process and then it will unlock it.

After you get the LAANC auth in Kittyhawk and you know you have permission to fly, you will need internet connection with the fly app. When in the locked geozone area, just try to take off. You will get a message saying you’re in a locked geozone and it will give you one of two options (and I haven’t figured out why I get one sometimes and the other other times). But one will simply ask you to check boxes saying you take full responsibility of flying there and then click agree and you’ll be good to go. The other thing that can happen is you get an option to self unlock the geo zone. You’ll click yes and it will have you enter your phone number. It will text you an auth code that you copy and paste into this process and then it will unlock it.
Correct. I figured this out later and tested it last weekend. I submitted authorization through DJI and unlocked them from the DJI FLY app. I don’t believe Kittyhawk works with the Mav Mini directly, but always a good second thing to have authorized just incase.

Thanks all for the clarification and lesson.... it still leaves me somewhat disappointed that the workflow of flying a mission could be so cumbersome. Thanks again!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty