DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Knick in Mavic 2 Props

Desertjock

Reactions
Hi everyone, as this is my first "damage" event and only just started droning, I need some advice. When landing on my landing pad, one of the props hit one of the pegs I had used to stop the pad blowing away. It caused a knick in the prop about a millimeter wide and depth. Could I still fly with this or should I change the prop? Please see photo.
Any help would be very much appreciated. I havent flown with it yet in this state!!
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3371.jpg
    IMG_3371.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 49
@Desertjock Hi everyone, as this is my first "damage" event and only just started droning, I need some advice. When landing on my landing pad, one of the props hit one of the pegs I had used to stop the pad blowing away. It caused a knick in the prop about a millimeter wide and depth. Could I still fly with this or should I change the prop? Please see photo.
Any help would be very much appreciated. I havent flown with it yet in this state!!
Thanks
if you have a good supply of props then just change it for a new one, apart from the slight damage at the tip look underneath where it attaches to the motor and check that the three lugs are still attached to the prop,you could have broken one of them off when the prop impacted the peg
here is a tip for you to prevent it happening again get some lead fishing weights they come with a small loop on them for ledgering use 4 and cable tie one to each loop of the landing pad where th pegs would normally go this will keep it from blowing away and it can still be folded up as normal

if you have a good supply of props then just change it for a new one, apart from the slight damage at the tip look underneath where it attaches to the motor and check that the three lugs are still attached to the prop,you could have broken one of them off when the prop impacted the peg
here is a tip for you to prevent it happening again get some lead fishing weights they come with a small loop on them for ledgering use 4 and cable tie one to each loop of the landing pad where th pegs would normally go this will keep it from blowing away and it can still be folded up as normal
Thanks old man mavic, that is great advice. It was a stupid mistake that I wont make again!! Off to the angling store!! If it's not shut due to the Coronavirus!!

By the way, where in Wales are you. I'm 2 miles from the welsh border in shropshire!!

Reactions: old man mavic
OMM gave you great advice. I will add a caveat to his suggestion and suggest you get the fishing weights with the epoxy coating on them so you aren't always absorbing lead when you touch the weights. I actually did this modification to my landing pad last year. I found some flat epoxy coated 3oz weights on Amazon. I then ordered some very large snap swivels/clips to attach the weights to the loops in the landing pad. Works like a charm! 3 of those weights on the pad, and I have yet to have the pad blow anywhere. They lay flat and they stay attached even when I fold up the pad and put it back in the bag.

Thanks old man mavic, that is great advice. It was a stupid mistake that I wont make again!! Off to the angling store!! If it's not shut due to the Coronavirus!!

By the way, where in Wales are you. I'm 2 miles from the welsh border in shropshire!!
i am in a village called Llanbradach its about 4 miles from Caerphilly

I have flown with nicks in a prop before but have also drove
with a chunk of rubber cut out of a tire before also .
I would keep and I do keep spare props and change it .
Thing cost to much to chance it . I fly over water most of the time so ain’t no getting it back if it goes down.
Tip..take the tip of the prop and kind of flex it to see if there’s a hairline crack. Have found them before that way and couldn’t see it unless I checked it that way.

By the way, while I would replace that prop if possible, you can take a very fine file/emery board to it and gently minimize the nick and smooth it out. That way you can keep the prop as a spare in case of an emergency out on the road. Never know when you might have a mishap on a shoot and be in need of a prop to get you through the mission/job.

OMM gave you great advice. I will add a caveat to his suggestion and suggest you get the fishing weights with the epoxy coating on them so you aren't always absorbing lead when you touch the weights. I actually did this modification to my landing pad last year. I found some flat epoxy coated 3oz weights on Amazon. I then ordered some very large snap swivels/clips to attach the weights to the loops in the landing pad. Works like a charm! 3 of those weights on the pad, and I have yet to have the pad blow anywhere. They lay flat and they stay attached even when I fold up the pad and put it back in the bag.
Thanks Bulldoggboyz, great advice!! Happy flying!

By the way, while I would replace that prop if possible, you can take a very fine file/emery board to it and gently minimize the nick and smooth it out. That way you can keep the prop as a spare in case of an emergency out on the road. Never know when you might have a mishap on a shoot and be in need of a prop to get you through the mission/job.
Thanks again, I was thinking of doing that but wasn’t sure.

I have flown with nicks in a prop before but have also drove
with a chunk of rubber cut out of a tire before also .
I would keep and I do keep spare props and change it .
Thing cost to much to chance it . I fly over water most of the time so ain’t no getting it back if it goes down.
Tip..take the tip of the prop and kind of flex it to see if there’s a hairline crack. Have found them before that way and couldn’t see it unless I checked it that way.
Thanks Dirkclod, great advice!

Have read a lot here folks doing that and worked fine.
Personally I carry 2 sets of new props with me in my bag at
all times or at least 1 set. Is just a old habit and is really
overdoing it but is what I do. If I change 1 prop I change them all to a new set. I guess everyone has their own habits and that is great. I’m just set in my ways. It is a little costly
but I’m not taking no chances with props.
I sure can’t afford to buy another drone cause I need that
money for toilet paper.?
?

Have read a lot here folks doing that and worked fine.
Personally I carry 2 sets of new props with me in my bag at
all times or at least 1 set. Is just a old habit and is really
overdoing it but is what I do. If I change 1 prop I change them all to a new set. I guess everyone has their own habits and that is great. I’m just set in my ways. It is a little costly
but I’m not taking no chances with props.
I sure can’t afford to buy another drone cause I need that
money for toilet paper.?
?
totally agree Dc change them all ,then when you get home you can give them the once over its called peace of mind

Reactions: dirkclod
My advice is:
  • Always have plenty of spares and carry them with you
  • Never ever use a damaged one -- throw it away
  • Replace the spare ASAP with new away after you use it so you always have plenty
Doesn't the M2P come with 2 spares? Doesn't matter — when I ordered my Mavic, I ordered more spares. I have 6. This is not cost prohibitive given the cost of the drone and everything else (batteries, case, filters, tablet, etc.).

Chris

Last edited:
I check my props thoroughly before every flight. I would never fly with any detectable damage. For me, it is not worth the risk versus the cost. The props are the single most important item keeping the drone in the air.
i agree the props and the battery as well thats why i dont skimp on those two things

Thank you all for the advice!! Yes, props and batteries are what keeps the very expensive machine airborne so I ordered another set last night. So I have the spare set from the combo kit and one in the post ( that’s if postmen are not banned here from delivering in the UK because of Coronavirus!! ) The world has gone mad at the moment!!
Happy flying gentlemen!!

Thank you all for the advice!! Yes, props and batteries are what keeps the very expensive machine airborne so I ordered another set last night. So I have the spare set from the combo kit and one in the post ( that’s if postmen are not banned here from delivering in the UK because of Coronavirus!! ) The world has gone mad at the moment!!
Happy flying gentlemen!!
your telling me (the world has gone mad) have you seen the latest anyone 70 or over is going to be advised to self isolate and not leave their home as they are the most at risk from the virus and we, im 73 are being told that if we do go out we must not use food outlets, or supermarkets in fact anywhere there are others ,its going to be imperative that i find the most isolated places to fly i can going to be on the forum a lot that,s for sure

your telling me (the world has gone mad) have you seen the latest anyone 70 or over is going to be advised to self isolate and not leave their home as they are the most at risk from the virus and we, im 73 are being told that if we do go out we must not use food outlets, or supermarkets in fact anywhere there are others ,its going to be imperative that i find the most isolated places to fly i can going to be on the forum a lot that,s for sure
Me too!! Armageddon is just around the corner!!!

what we should do is get them to close down the isle of white and make it an isolation area ,then all us 70 plusses can go there and fly to our hearts content
to be allowed to enter you will need to be the right age, have a drone or drones,and promise to stay put till your given the all clear

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard