DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Kp factor and when not to fly

Dreamflyer

Reactions
Hello everyone, just wanted to ask the forum , is the kp factor 4 in weather app really influencing my mini’s flight, even with more than 12 satellites locked on?
thanks and happy flying

I'm not aware of any level of Kp factor that has ever been proven to negatively affect a DJI drone.

Hello everyone, just wanted to ask the forum , is the kp factor 4 in weather app really influencing my mini’s flight, even with more than 12 satellites locked on?
thanks and happy flying
If the KP-index is ever high enough to have any effect on your drone, the drone would probably be the last of your concerns.
The whole KP-index "issue" is a myth when it comes to drone flying.

Back in the EARLY days (before the First Phantom) a High KP INDEX would make min # of Sat acquisition take a lot longer. On low KP days we'd wait maybe 5-10 seconds. On days when KP was very high it could take 30-60 seconds especially on my Blade 350QX (both 1 & 2 but Version 3 didn't seem to have any KP issues at all). Since getting a Phantom 3 I don't think I've even checked the KP Index at all. If it gets high enough to cause problems with today's equipment we definitely have BIGGER problems than UAS flight.

Have to ask, what is KP an accronym for? Didn't find it in the list.

Have to ask, what is KP an accronym for? Didn't find it in the list.

From Google:

The Kp-index The Kp-index is the global geomagnetic activity index that is based on 3-hour measurements from ground-based magnetometers around the world. Each station is calibrated according to its latitude and reports a certain K-indice depending on the geomagnetic activity measured at the location of the magnetometer.

For for the actual term KP:
The Kp-Index - derived from the German “Planetarishe Kennziffer meaning “Planetary Index” - is a measure of geomagnetic activity in the Earth’s atmosphere.

It used to be talked about a lot back in the early days. UAV Forecast still reports it and flags it above 5.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spencergotty