DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

KP Index

Simone L

Reactions
I have read that KP index readings of 1-4 is good for sUAS flight. And that at 5 a sUAS pilot might have difficulties.

For you experienced pilots, do you NOT fly at a KP index of 5? What are your thoughts please?

Guess everyone is different and seen this brought up a lot over the years.Seen lots that believe in it.
Me i pay it no mind and has never affected me.

For you experienced pilots, do you NOT fly at a KP index of 5?
From my experience, I completely disregards it. Doesn't seem to have an effect on my flights.

Guess everyone is different and seen this brought up a lot over the years.Seen lots that believe in it.
Me i pay it no mind and has never affected me.
I suppose longer distance flights might be more affected since it’s a disturbance in radio signal that’s a possibility. Just a guess on my part.

I suppose longer distance flights might be more affected since it’s a disturbance in radio signal that’s a possibility. Just a guess on my part.
Well I used to do distance test but quit after I got my first MP
and saw what it would do.and never had any issues. To me it’s kinda like a myth like having to recalibrate your compass everytime you fly.
Do or use what ever makes you confident. ?
JMO

Did some quick research and here is what I found.

Kp index is an indicator of geomagnetic storms in the ionosphere. According to NOAA (NATIONAL OCEANIC AND ATMOSPHERIC ADMINISTRATION) “The principal users affected by geomagnetic storms are the electrical power grid, spacecraft operations, users of radio signals that reflect off of or pass through the ionosphere, and observers of the aurora.”

In the case of drones I believe that the only thing affected is GPS. I was able to find a scientific paper that analyzed the effect of these geo storms on GPS signals and it concluded that it affected the RMS positioning accuracy. The numbers ranged from 0.393m to 1.051m from a mild to a severe magnetic storm. With no storm the number is 0.167m.

You can draw your own conclusions but I think it will have minimal to no affect on drone flying. Worst case is that you can lose the connection to individual satellites so that if you ensure you have the minimum number of total satellites your probably OK.

if your interested you can read the paper here. Assessing the Performance of GPS Precise Point Positioning Under Different Geomagnetic Storm Conditions during Solar Cycle 24

Hey @sar104, being a physicist you might find the paper I referenced in the above post interesting, or maybe not.

Reactions: Simone L
Well I used to do distance test but quit after I got my first MP
and saw what it would do.and never had any issues. To me it’s kinda like a myth like having to recalibrate your compass everytime you fly.
Do or use what ever makes you confident. ?
JMO
As a newbie I am going slow, practicing patterns of flight and reading everything I can. This forum is so helpful. Thanks!!

As a newbie I am going slow, practicing patterns of flight and reading everything I can. This forum is so helpful. Thanks!!
Yes you should and yes it is. What I posted are my views now and others will disagree I’m sure. I just go by my test
and read in other threads which I have read in no telling
how many in PhantomPilots and here over the years.
Never take just one members opinion and go by that on anything.
Do a search on whatever topic and read. You will learn.?
And being a native of Chapel Hill you can pretty well put that
in your pipe and smoke it.?

Reactions: Simone L
Hey @sar104, being a physicist you might find the paper I referenced in the above post interesting, or maybe not.

Yes - as you can see from those data, the effect on GPS at the level of accuracy needed by these kinds of equipment is negligible at most latitudes, and that the radio comms link is not going to be affected at all. At very high latitudes it is possible that GPS signals could be affected enough to trigger ATTI mode at very high KP values. But mostly, as @dirkclod said, this whole thing is a myth, probably propagated to sell apps.

For you experienced pilots, do you NOT fly at a KP index of 5? What are your thoughts please?
Despite the very large numbers of drones flying in all kinds of conditions, there still hasn't been an incident where even a single drone has been affected by high Kp index conditions.

Did some quick research and here is what I found.

Kp index is an indicator of geomagnetic storms in the ionosphere. According to NOAA (NATIONAL OCEANIC AND ATMOSPHERIC ADMINISTRATION) “The principal users affected by geomagnetic storms are the electrical power grid, spacecraft operations, users of radio signals that reflect off of or pass through the ionosphere, and observers of the aurora.”

In the case of drones I believe that the only thing affected is GPS. I was able to find a scientific paper that analyzed the effect of these geo storms on GPS signals and it concluded that it affected the RMS positioning accuracy. The numbers ranged from 0.393m to 1.051m from a mild to a severe magnetic storm. With no storm the number is 0.167m.

You can draw your own conclusions but I think it will have minimal to no affect on drone flying. Worst case is that you can lose the connection to individual satellites so that if you ensure you have the minimum number of total satellites your probably OK.

if your interested you can read the paper here. Assessing the Performance of GPS Precise Point Positioning Under Different Geomagnetic Storm Conditions during Solar Cycle 24
Wonderful information. Thank you so much for the in-depth reply. Very interesting and informative. ✌?

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ygdrasil