DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Kynance Cove. Possibly the most beautiful cove in Cornwall, if not England

Thanks for the kind comments. I originally contacted RNAS Culdrose via private message on their Facebook page, as they control the Predannack NFZ. They gave me an email for the Chief Petty Officer running their Air Traffic Control. After swapping emails and giving him details of my planned flight, he emailed me authorisation which I then sent on to DJI under their usual process to get them to unlock the geo zone. The ATC were really helpful
That’s wonderful thank you. how far in advance did you have to get authorisation?? I’m heading down in September so thinking of planning a flight, just wondering about weather planning in advance.

The longest time was the Facebook Page giving me the Chief Petty Officer's email. That took about 3 weeks. Forgive me, but I'm not prepared to pass it on as I'm not sure if it was confidential or not. Once I had his email, he replied within a few days with what was required. I then gave him a date 2 weeks in the future so that he had time to reply & I had time to send it on to DJI. So it was a case of looking ahead on weather apps & keeping fingers crossed there were no unexpected changes. Also, when you're planning your flight, he told me the best hope of gaining permission was to fly on Saturday's or Sunday's, as Predannack Airfield is rarely used at the weekends

Well done!! Is that one place a hotel? (@ the end of the cove with deck chairs) If so, nice place to put one!

Reactions: Jeremy Clark
The longest time was the Facebook Page giving me the Chief Petty Officer's email. That took about 3 weeks. Forgive me, but I'm not prepared to pass it on as I'm not sure if it was confidential or not. Once I had his email, he replied within a few days with what was required. I then gave him a date 2 weeks in the future so that he had time to reply & I had time to send it on to DJI. So it was a case of looking ahead on weather apps & keeping fingers crossed there were no unexpected changes. Also, when you're planning your flight, he told me the best hope of gaining permission was to fly on Saturday's or Sunday's, as Predannack Airfield is rarely used at the weekends
That’s amazing thanks for your help. I wouldn’t dream of asking for it, I’d rather get it myself as then everything’s done above board. Once again amazing footage mate!

Stunning Footage! How did you manage to get authorisation to film? And how long did it take
Thanx very much Farid. I originally contacted Culdrose Naval Base Facebook page by DM. They gave me an email for the ATC Chief Petty Officer at the time. He suggested to me to plan a flight either on Saturday or Sunday’s as Predannack Airfield is rarely used at weekends. I had to provide him with details of my drones and details of the flight (dates, times and distances) and he was then able to give me a letter of authorisation to send on to DJI for the geo unlocking. They were really helpful. Took about a week of emails backwards and forwards once I first heard from him.I actually had a permission to fly there again about 6 weeks ago, but I caught Covid so couldn’t go. I want to fly there again, this time with the tide out, but am waiting for there to be less tourists! If you check the comments above, you’ll see someone else asked for the same details. Unsurprisingly, lots of people want to fly there cos of it‘s beauty. A word of warning….. if you get the DJI unlock details, unlock before you walk all the way down to the cove. I went all the way down then couldn’t get an internet signal so had to go all the way back up to the top to get a signal and be able to unlock.

Last edited:
My latest clip is from Kynance Cove, on the Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall. In my opinion, the absolute jewel of the Cornish coast. I chose to film just as the sun was setting, so the tide isn't fully out, & I will return again in future to capture the views with the tide fully out.

I must take the opportunity to thank RNAS Culdrose for granting authorisation to film in the Predannack Flight Restriction Zone.

Filmed with Mavic Air 2 & Mini 2 (for some reason, the Geo Unlock wouldn't work with my FPV).

I hope you enjoy :)

Beautiful video, beautiful location.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll