DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC and Coastal Carolina Regional Airport (EWN), New Bern, NC

JAW

Did I Just Back Into That Tree?
Reactions
Does anyone know why LAANC is not available at EWN? It's available at every airport with an IFR approach within 50+ but not here. I'm surrounded by Class D airspace that a local 107 pilot has been manually granted authorization to fly with a 200' ceiling so it's not like there's a blanket ban on drones.
TIA!

You can find a list of airports covered by LAANC here:

Reactions: JAW
You can find a list of airports covered by LAANC here:
Thanks! But EWN is not on the list which is why I asked.

So, you have the current list... and you're asking if EWN is on the current list? I'm lost.

I have the current list and EWN is NOT on it. I was asking if anyone knows why.
Authorizations to fly below 400' for 107 pilots have been granted but only through the manual process.

While I don't think EWN would be pleased if a bunch of people call and ask why they aren't on the list, that is likely the only way you're going to find out.

Reactions: JAW
I have the current list and EWN is NOT on it. I was asking if anyone knows why.
Authorizations to fly below 400' for 107 pilots have been granted but only through the manual process.
Skyward has EWN in its LAANC system. Not sure why, but here's the map:

Reactions: JAW and BigAl07
Skyward has EWN in its LAANC system. Not sure why, but here's the map:

View attachment 78030
I'm not physically in NC right now but on the way. I checked the FAAs list and EWN was not on it. It's certainly good news if it is.......I live right on the fringe of Class D and it would be great to get an authorization as a recreational pilot. Thanks for the update!

UPDATE (for those who care):
1. As mentioned above by @Keule, Skywatch shows LAANC available at EWN.
2. Airmap now shows LAANC as "coming soon" but only for 107 pilots.
4. The FAA's list of LAANC enabled airports still does not show EWN.
3. I sent an email to the airport operations manager at EWN. I forget I met him once at a Christmas party last year. He replied promptly:

Hi Joshua,
Unfortunately, I don't have any additional information than what is available on the FAA's public website. As you are probably aware, LAANC is in beta test. I have not received any update from the FAA on their LAANC implementation schedule. So, I don't know when EWN will be added. Here is a link to the applicable website:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/programs_partnerships/data_exchange/laanc_facilities/
In the meantime, recreational drone flyers who wish to fly in airspace currently not covered by LAANC have to use the manual process to apply for authorization. Info can be found at the following link:
FAADroneZone

Thanks for your interest and best of luck.

Regards,

Ed Martin
Airfield Operations
Coastal Carolina Regional Airport
(W) 252-638-8591
(C) 847-715-8801

Bottom line is I'll have to wait for tomorrow's roll out of recreational LAANC to see what the situation is.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mupps64