DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC thru Kittyhawk unavailable in Hawaii, can I get a confirmation?

scubaddictions

Reactions
All,

Had a very frustrating day trying to practice getting LAANC authorization for an upcoming project. I've successfully received authorization through Kittyhawk last November. Today I went back to the same location, same equipment, and for the life of me could not get to the point of requesting authorization. Had the drone connected and viewable within Kittyhawk, WiFi connected via cell-phone tethering. The button to 'Get Authorization' just did not exist in the app. Eventually dropped back and punted, switched to Airmap, setup account on the fly and used it multiple times in various locations to receive LAANC authorization.

When I got home I started hammering on the problem with Kittyhawk, updated app, then did a full uninstall/reinstall. Now, when I open the map within Kittyhawk I noticed that the entire background is a pale red. Zooming out I see the red encircles all the Hawaiian islands, and it appears to be related to a DOD NSUFRs. (National Security UAS Flight Restrictions) Prior to the update/reinstall the map background wasn't red but the NSUFRs was present. See image below:

kittyhawk.jpg

I can't find anything about this flight restriction online. I can't think of anything happening here in Hawaii that would shut down the ENTIRE island chain. Plus, Airmap had no issues today at all. If I zoom out, scroll over to a mainland LAANC airport and select a grid square, sure enough I get the button to 'Get Authorization'.

Can I please have someone open up Kittyhawk and verify if they get this same restriction as depicted above? My gut feel is they've got a glitch in their database. I'll be e-mailing support now.

Thank you!

Ryan

Can I please have someone open up Kittyhawk and verify if they get this same restriction as depicted above? My gut feel is they've got a glitch in their database.
I can confirm seeing the same apparent error in Kittyhawk, while AirMap does not show the errant, statewide NFZ. I’ll be researching, too, trying to figure this out.

D1AFEFF8-8769-4254-B277-E2E16C4BE5A0.jpeg

0B5865D5-0E8D-4C6B-A104-946036A9899F.png

I think RIMPAC is in August, but it's pretty strange indeed.

Hello everyone. Did Kittyhawk reply to you guys? I am having the exact same problem, but in the other side of the US. Puerto Rico and USVI are under this weird DOD NSUFRs. I have a flight tomorrow that requires authorization, but alas, can't get any. Tried Airmap, but the grid dissappeared completely. It has been like this for days. Emailed Airmap yesterday, but haven't gotten any replies. Looks like I'm screwed. ☹

Screenshot_20200603-033753_Kittyhawk.jpgScreenshot_20200603-033811_Kittyhawk.jpgScreenshot_20200603-033901_AirMap.jpg

I did get responses from Kittyhawk, but they weren't particularly helpful. Got a response on May 7th and on the 15th, basically said they're aware of the formatting error and will get it "corrected as soon as possible". Meanwhile here we are nearly a month later..... and nothing has been done that I can tell. If your pin drop is accurate on the Airmap image above it appears that would be a 0' grid square anyway. Pretty bad that Airmap shows no advisories for the area around the airport at all.

I'd advise you to contact Kittyhawk/B4UFly as well, just so I'm not the only one letting them know their problems are still ongoing.

Reactions: Ansia
I did get responses from Kittyhawk, but they weren't particularly helpful. Got a response on May 7th and on the 15th, basically said they're aware of the formatting error and will get it "corrected as soon as possible". Meanwhile here we are nearly a month later..... and nothing has been done that I can tell. If your pin drop is accurate on the Airmap image above it appears that would be a 0' grid square anyway. Pretty bad that Airmap shows no advisories for the area around the airport at all.

I'd advise you to contact Kittyhawk/B4UFly as well, just so I'm not the only one letting them know their problems are still ongoing.
I am friends with my local FSDO personnel. I spoke with them this morning. They are aware and are working to get it up and running again. As for the pin, that wasn't my flight area. Just the area I was when I took the screenshot. Thanks for the reply.

Within Airmap it seems to let me proceed with applying for LAANC despite not showing the grid or advisories. You might try that as well, if it goes through and is approved you would still be covered. Also, if there's any chance your FSDO contact can also apply pressure on the Kittyhawk/B4UFly people that may hold more weight than a few users in the field. B4UFly is supposed to be the official FAA page.

If these are indeed errors in the LAANC database, you guys could always try applying for an Airspace Authorization specific to where you want to fly by going here: FAADroneZone

I have both recreational and commercial authorizations in the Class D airspace of an airport near me - where I often need to fly - and as of now, although the FAA has published a UAS Airport Facility Map (UAS AFM) upon the airport, it is not LAANC serviced. In both of my authorizations, I simply have to check the most current UAS AFM and stay below all published ceilings. Both of my applications were approved within 24 hours as well, so it's a system that works.

I wonder if this is why Airmap is having difficulties.

Within Airmap it seems to let me proceed with applying for LAANC despite not showing the grid or advisories. You might try that as well, if it goes through and is approved you would still be covered. Also, if there's any chance your FSDO contact can also apply pressure on the Kittyhawk/B4UFly people that may hold more weight than a few users in the field. B4UFly is supposed to be the official FAA page.
Not for me. This is the biggest Airport in Puerto Rico. It's allowing me to fly.... I finish the process and it tells me I am not required LAANC authorization. Lost my flight today. I'll try dronezone and hope I have authorization for tomorrow or Friday.
Screenshot_20200603-154854_AirMap.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mupps64