DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC with Airplane Mode set? U.K. flyer!

twickers14

Reactions
Hi everyone. Am about to venture into LAANCsville for the first time and I am wondering how, if my iPhone is set to Airplane Mode, the Authorities can get hold of me while I am flying should they need to? As I understand it I shall have to give my U.K. mobile number when I seek approval to fly here in Naples FL Controlled Airspace but we are advised to have Airplane Mode switched on when we fly-I always do and if that’s on how do ATC contact me while I’m flying to warn me about something needing my air space? I may have this all wrong but am keen to comply everywhere.

I would find an alternate phone # for contact in case of emergency and have that phone on your without reservation. While it's HIGHLY unlikely they will ever need to call you, if they do it's VERY important they reach you. In fact, I would venture to say using an unreachable phone # would be a violation of your agreement and potentially liable if that is an incident.

For the record, I have been doing this a LONG time and I never EVER fly with it in Airplane mode. Fact of the matter is I usually use an iPad but at times when the iPad is dead (oops) I fly with my iPhone and never put it into Airplane mode but I don't answer phone calls during flight either.

I would find an alternate phone # for contact in case of emergency and have that phone on your without reservation. While it's HIGHLY unlikely they will ever need to call you, if they do it's VERY important they reach you. In fact, I would venture to say using an unreachable phone # would be a violation of your agreement and potentially liable if that is an incident.

For the record, I have been doing this a LONG time and I never EVER fly with it in Airplane mode. Fact of the matter is I usually use an iPad but at times when the iPad is dead (oops) I fly with my iPhone and never put it into Airplane mode but I don't answer phone calls during flight either.
I don’t recall there being a requirement to have a cell phone on you while flying to use LAANC. My understanding was the only reason they ask you for a phone number was to text you confirmation that your flight is approved.

Reactions: twickers14
I don’t recall there being a requirement to have a cell phone on you while flying to use LAANC. My understanding was the only reason they ask you for a phone number was to text you confirmation that your flight is approved.
You need to read the full text sent to you in the confirmation. They state that you must be able to answer the number you submit during the time of your drone operations. Here is an example:
5C38E1DC-18B6-4EED-ABD2-1F99503B796A.jpeg

Reactions: BigAl07

Have just got it sorted (posted a quick update) and left Airplane Mode off throughout. Thanks for pointer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J