DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lady Drone Pilot - Questions about Drone Videos on Youtube

Ladydrone

Reactions
Ok - have not been fly drones long - started with Spark - when DJI started including remote as promo - Then I got a great deal on a customer returned Mavi Air Flymore package. So now I have two drones - Three if you count my spouses Yuneec Breeze. (Side note the only drone I have crashed so far is the Breeze seems everytime I take it up it drifts to close to something and done she comes).

Ok here are a few stupid questions I have about drone videos on youtube.

1. Why does everyone who first gets a drone want to see how far they can fly it before they loose connection and have to return home?

2. Follow up to question # 1 - Why do they love to fly over water or some other area that if it does have to land before it gets home your odds of loosing it go up astronomically?

3. Do I need glasses - because when I fly my spark or mavic air - at anything over 3 football fields away I really can not see it - I figure I do because I know all you tubers follow the line of sight rule which means that when we fly your drone a mile a way obviously the youtube flyers can still see it?

4. Am I confused about the height rule - I thought it was 400ft but when I watch a lot of youtube videos seems like it must really be 400 meters?

Ok - these are not serious questions just poking some fun at the some of the videos I watch - really appreciate all I have learned from forums and youtube.

1. Some people have no common sense.
2. See question #1.
3. No. People who are flying that far away can't see it either.
4. In the US and several other countries, the height guideline for hobby flights is 400 feet above the ground. Note that in the US, this is a GUIDELINE. It's not a law (currently). Having said that, many flyers routinely do not follow this guideline.

Reactions: MrRobville
You are right of course. We have been flying in Singapore and several countries in Europe this summer, and we set the limits in the controller. However VLOS is a tough one. We fly with a spotter and so far have been pretty good... but.... I think this remains the most difficult regulation and the one that is going to push us to get certified. It’s not that hard really and it opens up all kinds of possibilities.

They
Ok - these are not serious questions just poking some fun at the some of the videos I watch - really appreciate all I have learned from forums and youtube.

Mainly they want to get hits on YouTube and love themselves. They are the ones that will ruin it for everybody else.

Reactions: Lastrexking
I doubt very much you are going to get an idiot to reply to you. Idiots tend to believe they are always right and everyone else is wrong. I have no understanding why someone would want to fly miles away at silly altitudes and complain about 15 minutes of battery life in a drone that you can put in your pocket.

The new Mavic 2 can fly an amazing 8km away. WHY???

It would be nice to hear from someone who thinks that is a good thing, perhaps someone from DJI can explain why they have produced a drone with such capabilities.

Technology is always ahead of governments and regulations.

It's about the same, as asking why Ferrari makes cars capable of 350 kph speed, while there are 120 kph max limits.

Technology is always ahead of governments and regulations.

It's about the same, as asking why Ferrari makes cars capable of 350 kph speed, while there are 120 kph max limits.

I don't quite agree with this, I have a BMW K1600GT, with 160BHP and a top speed around 150mph (240KPH). I don't drive it at 150mph, if I did I would kill myself or someone else very quickly.

So, I ride my bike with that in mind and hopefully in a common sense way, I am no slouch either when I take it on the road.

Technology has given me a powerful and very fast machine, but I understand my boundaries with it.

On this forum, there is constant (whinging) of flight distance, far outside the boundaries of VLOS and DJI adding more fuel to the fire by launching the. Mavic 2 with 8km flight distance.

If I was caught speeding at 150mph a nice man ( probably in a uniform) would explain the fine system and how I won't be riding my bike for a while.

Reactions: sfessen
I don't quite agree with this, I have a BMW K1600GT, with 160BHP and a top speed around 150mph (240KPH). I don't drive it at 150mph, if I did I would kill myself or someone else very quickly.

So, I ride my bike with that in mind and hopefully in a common sense way, I am no slouch either when I take it on the road.

Technology has given me a powerful and very fast machine, but I understand my boundaries with it.

On this forum, there is constant (whinging) of flight distance, far outside the boundaries of VLOS and DJI adding more fuel to the fire by launching the. Mavic 2 with 8km flight distance.

If I was caught speeding at 150mph a nice man ( probably in a uniform) would explain the fine system and how I won't be riding my bike for a while.
Yes but you are not asking BMW to apologize, why made your bike capable of a speed that is illegal.
Why are you asking DJI to apologize?

I think you are missing my point, the responsibility will always exist with the user.

I know my bike will do 150mph but I choose to use the machine in a responsible way. I have fallen off motorcycles and I know it hurts.

If I really wanted to ride at 150mph I would take the bike to a race track, in that environment it is within the law.

In relation to DJI, I am not asking for them to apologize, but to explain the contradiction of promoting a 8km flight distance (for their Mavic 2) and their own recommendation of VLOS.

In the case of Drone Pilots who complain that their machine will not achieve the latest flight distance advertised by DJI, I think these pilots should be challenged by pilots who act in a responsible way.

At present, there is no closed air space for Drone Pilots to test the limitations of their equipment, so instead they "Fly in an open space" which basically means that they hope nothing is above, below, to the sides or behind them when they can no longer see their machine.

In my opinion, this behavior will eventually bring more controls for all of us.

Well that is the same Sir, that BMW say your bike can do 150, but recommend 80.....
The range thing that DJI say, is nothing really to do with the actual range, but thae fact that its technology can 'hold' on to the signal in corrupted RF environments for longer, I believe.

First of all 'asking to explain' is the same with 'asking to apologize'.

Beyond this, DJI doesn't promote 8 km flight distance, but the ability of ocusync 2.0, to transmit signals in this range, in optimal conditions and in FCC mode. It is the same with your BMW example, the manufacturer promotes the ability to run with 250 kph.

Regulations are not made, because some users brake the regulations. It's not even logical.

Breaking the laws and regulations, is a high risk task, and drone users doing so, know the consequences.

I would suggest all, try to follow the rules, and in the same time, act for unfair rules to change (if there is any).

Well that is the same Sir, that BMW say your bike can do 150, but recommend 80.....
The range thing that DJI say, is nothing really to do with the actual range, but thae fact that its technology can 'hold' on to the signal in corrupted RF environments for longer, I believe.

We are going to differ on this so lets agree to differ.

The range thing is not advertised (or promoted) as a "Hold signal" technology but rather the "Range of the Mavic 2"

I am curious as to how DJI (who are reading these posts) promote, "Explore more of the world smoothly and safely with 8km, 1080p live video 2"
and "Fly your drone with VLOS".

upload_2018-8-27_11-48-7.png
If BMW or Ferrari did the same thing they would say, "Explore more of the world at 150-200 mph and safely" but we recommend driving within your local speed limits.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daly_mail