DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Laggy Live Video on Phone?

bmoore1118

Reactions
So i love the 4k video that is coming out of this very small camera but i am having one issue.

When I am flying i have a phone attached to the rc remote. most of the time the live video is very smooth. There are some times when i am trying to pan or use the gimble that the live footage skips a little or is laggy. When i play it back on the computer or download it to my phone the video is fine.

Also I have read online that putting the phone on airplane mode and only have the gps turned on. If I am using the rc controller would i need wifi on my phone turned on? Also there is the usb connector on the side of the drone but also a usb on the bottom. WHat is the difference?

Is there a reason for this?

Last edited:
It sounds like your mobile device is lagging. You can find some tips for making your mobile device run better in these guides:

If I am using the rc controller would i need wifi on my phone turned on?
No.

Also there is the usb connector on the side of the drone but also a usb on the bottom
Are you referring to the remote controller?

Both ports can be used. A lot of people like to use the bottom USB port because it's not as fragile as the Micro USB port on the side.

If you switch from the Micro USB port to the USB port, make sure you unplug the cable from the Micro USB port first. The USB port cannot be used when a cable is plugged into the Micro USB port.

Reactions: kjcbid54
So i love the 4k video that is coming out of this very small camera but i am having one issue.

When I am flying i have a phone attached to the rc remote. most of the time the live video is very smooth. There are some times when i am trying to pan or use the gimble that the live footage skips a little or is laggy. When i play it back on the computer or download it to my phone the video is fine.

Also I have read online that putting the phone on airplane mode and only have the gps turned on. If I am using the rc controller would i need wifi on my phone turned on? Also there is the usb connector on the side of the drone but also a usb on the bottom. WHat is the difference?

What phone are you using? One of the best ways to speed up DJI Go 4 is turning off “cache video automatically” which is in the main settings of DJI Go 4. You’ll now only have the video on the SD card and it won’t automatically show up on your phone but saves a huge amount of battery and processing by turning that off.

The Mavic remote has 2 ports that a device can be connected to it. The micro USB port (the be you are use to using which is Alonso how it is charged) and the regular USB port on the bottom of the remote. Both work in the same way but with the regular port on the bottom you don’t need to use a special cord. It works with any common cord that you would use to charge your device. It does need to be data capable though so no cheap cables you get at a gas station or something like that.

The Cable that came with your mavic you are use to using is kinda nice because it fits flush with the remote and has a 90 degree angle to stay out of the way but besides this has no benefit over a regular cable. People with tablet mounts or bigger devices have to use this anyway.

You can also find 90 degree cables for your device on amazon and that’s what I prefer anyway. I like not having to remove the cable to charge the remote because I then tend to lose it lol.

Try using another cable, that’s a common issue and they do go bad rather quickly.

Your device doesn’t need to be connected to WiFi once you have the map downloaded so once it comes off just put your phone into airplane mode. GPS if your device has it is always active and can’t be turned off without turning the whole device off.

Thank for all of these tips. I think i have some fixes. Airplane mode should help a lot. I usually have wifi and bluetooth on all the time. Also I had the cache on for videos and photos. Being new to drones, do I need to have gps on my phone turned on or is the gps in the drone?

I know on other djis drones have a transmission quality setting. Does the air have that?

Thank for all of these tips. I think i have some fixes. Airplane mode should help a lot. I usually have wifi and bluetooth on all the time. Also I had the cache on for videos and photos. Being new to drones, do I need to have gps on my phone turned on or is the gps in the drone?

I know on other djis drones have a transmission quality setting. Does the air have that?
You cannot change the video transmission quality on the Air. It is already set to 720p max, so quality on the mobile device is much less than actual recording on the SD card. I personally find that video lag on my mobile device is usually due to actual radio transmission strength. The antenna on the Air are in the front legs that fold down. We are usually flying away from the controller. When the drone is panning, this can temporarily block the radio signal from one of the antennas that will create a little lag in the video transmission. I not claiming this to be fact, but more of a theory based on my understanding of how the Air is designed. I am used to the occasional lag now and have trained myself to let go of the stick immediately if lag occurs and I'm flying close to an object. If I'm in wide open air space, the lag is usually so brief that I'm not bothered by it.

Just finished my PfCO course in the UK, and it was suggested that we put the phone in to airplane mode when connecting to the controller and flying your drone. This is so there is no distractions whilst flying your drone. Cheers

I think I have found my issue on this topic. My phone was never in airplane mode and the cache video setting was on for 2 gigs of data.

Please report back on if turning off cashe and setting to airplane mode make a difference. I dont see the relationship to those settings and how they effect video signal, but I would like to hear other people experiences.

I never had any issues with video signal. The issue i was having was when I would hit the record button for video and try to pan and move the live view on my phone would laggy, get stuck and snap back. I think most of that was with the phone trying to cache video at the same time. I always had a low quality video in the app when i was done flying.

I never had any issues with video signal. The issue i was having was when I would hit the record button for video and try to pan and move the live view on my phone would laggy, get stuck and snap back. I think most of that was with the phone trying to cache video at the same time. I always had a low quality video in the app when i was done flying.
Gotcha, sorry I misread the original post. Thanks for clarifying for me.

Reactions: bmoore1118

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salvator419