DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Land with front end facing uphill, or downhill?

johnmeyer

Reactions
Yesterday, the only place to takeoff & land was from the hiking path, and the place I wanted to photograph was where the path was continuously going up. I found the most level spot I could and completed the mission, but it got to me wondering:

When taking off and landing from ground that is not level, should I face the drone uphill (with the drone's longer legs facing uphill), or should I face it downhill?​

I chose to face uphill, but am wondering if that is the safest direction that will provide the best propeller clearance.

When taking off and landing from ground that is not level, should I face the drone uphill (with the drone's longer legs facing uphill), or should I face it downhill?
Either could be fairly risky depending on the grade of the hill. Landing on unstable ground could cause the drone to tip and the props to strike the ground.

Another option would be to hand catch and release.

I am spooked by hand launch and catch. I got my fingers caught in my little Hubsan drone and that was not pleasant. The props on a Mavic 2 Pro could do serious damage. I do have a chainmail anti-cut glove I could wear, and I could wear safety goggles, but the whole operation seems to have more risk than reward.

The props on a Mavic 2 Pro could do serious damage.
Yes, it could definitely be dangerous. Either way you go, you're going to have to risk damage to yourself or your drone. If you don't want to take the risk, then don't operate from unlevel ground.

I am spooked by hand launch and catch. I got my fingers caught in my little Hubsan drone and that was not pleasant. The props on a Mavic 2 Pro could do serious damage. I do have a chainmail anti-cut glove I could wear, and I could wear safety goggles, but the whole operation seems to have more risk than reward.

Hand catching is an essential skill of a drone pilot. If it makes you nervous then that’s even more reason to do it. There are plenty of situations I have taken off not anticipating the need for a hand catch landing but then turned out to be required by the time I came in to land. The more you practice the more confident you will be when it unexpectedly becomes the difference between losing the drone and a safe landing.

.. I do have a chainmail anti-cut glove I could wear...
Depending on the type of metal it is made of, it may throw off the Mavic compass causing unexpected movement while trying to catch it.

I also always hand launch and land. My MP is so stable in a hover that I can easily and safely reach up and grasp it in front of the downward sensors and shut it down. I grasp it above my head so I stay out of the plane of rotation and I feel pretty safe in doing so.

I have modified my FMC bag to hold my RC/tablet so I can control my MP with one hand which makes it much easier.

I've faced similiar situations already in my very short period of piloting a Mavic drone (~ 3 weeks).
I've watched good tutorials (like the one @msinger posted) on hand catching and hand landing and it really is something you should be capable of.

I want to be as light as possible with my drone and avoid a dedicated landing pad etc. Sometimes, it's fine to launch from the ground, when starting on an even and clean surface but sometimes it's not, especially in nature. With the Mavic being so stable, you should really try in small steps. It's doable and if you follow some basic rules, safe.

Basically for landing
  1. Bring the drone above head/eye level, probably 1 m
  2. adjust its orientation so that the back faces you, parallel to your left/right (whatever hand you want to use)
  3. stretch out the hand palm as far and as high as possible for a convenient and secure stand, preferably over your head, below the bottom centre of the drone
  4. carefully bring down the stick for downward movement ... sometimes, the drone will recognise your hand as an obstacle and will move up a bit (that can already happen in 3. if the distance from the drone to the hand is narrow)
  5. Keep pressing the stick carefully down and the drone will reduce its distance to your hand palm slowly
  6. Land it in your palm while pressing the stick down for engine shutdown
You can also support 6. with some grip with your fingers if the drone does not perfectly land in your palm but don't grab higher than the line, where the battery compartment starts. I recommend to do it with some power grip of your thumb palm against the drone.

Probably get a lanyard just in case, because you stretch out one hand and with the other slowly bringing the stick down for landing. ;)
Happy and safe flying.

Last edited:
Yesterday, the only place to takeoff & land was from the hiking path, and the place I wanted to photograph was where the path was continuously going up. I found the most level spot I could and completed the mission, but it got to me wondering:

When taking off and landing from ground that is not level, should I face the drone uphill (with the drone's longer legs facing uphill), or should I face it downhill?​

I chose to face uphill, but am wondering if that is the safest direction that will provide the best propeller clearance.
I just took a good look at the propellers on my Mavic 2 and it seems like the rears (the lowest) are virtually parallel to the ground so as long as the ground is flat it shouldn’t make any difference. I would be concerned if the ground is uneven though.

To answer your question, facing uphill would be the best choice to land since the forward props have a greater ground clearance than the rears.

I guess I need to try a recovery by hand.

Definitely give it a try and see if you like it - it could not be simpler or easier. My M2P has never taken off or landed anywhere that wasn't my hand - this guarantees that it keeps completely clean of debris found on the ground (dust, sand, etc.) and you never have to worry about what the terrain is like, if your props will clip the grass, if your landing pad will blow away, etc.

I'm finding it hard to think of a reason to ever take off / land using the ground.

I've watched several "how to" videos on hand launch/retrieve. I'll put on some safety glasses and a anti-cut glove (for use with my mandolin) and see if I feel comfortable doing it.

I have to agree, now that I've been faced with the problem I described in my original post, that I can forsee a lot of circumstances where this will be the only option, so I guess I'd better learn how to do it.

Reactions: Smalls
Hold your hand out flat - and use it like a landing pad. Keep fingers extended - do not try to reach around the body with your fingers - or you will get an unwelcome manicure. Just my 5 cents worth. Practice makes perfect.

I've watched several "how to" videos on hand launch/retrieve. I'll put on some safety glasses and a anti-cut glove (for use with my mandolin) and see if I feel comfortable doing it.

I have to agree, now that I've been faced with the problem I described in my original post, that I can forsee a lot of circumstances where this will be the only option, so I guess I'd better learn how to do it.

You will be just fine, it is an extremely slow and gentle process to both launch and land by hand. The drone moves so slowly and precisely that there is no way your hands will touch one of the props unless you purposely do so or are somehow grossly negligent.

To take off, simply hold the drone out in your hand and use the swipe to take off function - as soon as the props fire up, it will very gently pull upwards and you can simply remove your hand from under the bottom of the drone and it will just sit there in the air, waiting your instruction. To land it, bring it overhead and hold the left stick all the way down. Once it gets close to your outstretched hand, the downward sensors will prevent it from landing for 3 seconds, so keep holding the left stick all the way down. After 3 seconds, it will descend very gently until you grasp the bottom of it (always grab it rather than landing it on a flat palm so that you maintain full control at all times). 1-2 seconds after you grab it, the props will shut off, with you still keeping the left stick all the way down. It couldn't be easier, and you won't have to worry about the terrain or landing pads or landing gear ever again.

After you grab it, turning the drone 90 degrees will also kill the props, but you should never have to do that as it would be for emergencies only.

Reactions: Lazaro68

You forgot the welder's face mask/shield! I did just look up cut-proof gloves.

Reactions: Captain Lou
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini