DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing from Switzerland

AmmuNation

Reactions
Hi everyone,

After years and years of thinking about getting a drone I finally got one. Just recently, I got myself a Mavic Air. The choice for the air was mainly its form factor and weight, it's easy to transport, reasonably priced and under 500g, which makes a regulatory difference here in Switzerland.

I'm already somewhat into videography on the ground, but the third dimension is completely new for me. I've found the forum through google and hope to get tips and help, I already have something bothering me, but that's a different thread.

He did 16 minutes after he started this CYBORK .
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Reactions: AmmuNation
Thanks Cyborg and dirkclod! Correct, my thread with what's bothering me has been opened after I've first introduced myself here. ;)

I'll now pack my stuff and go flying - and gain some experience up there while hopefully catching some nice scenery.

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to the Forum from the Sunshine State of Florida! Hope you enjoy the Forum. Lots of information can be found here.

Welcome to the forum! :)

AmmuNation,

welcome to the community. That's a pretty powerful aerial tool you got there . . . keep it airborne.

Hi everyone,

After years and years of thinking about getting a drone I finally got one. Just recently, I got myself a Mavic Air. The choice for the air was mainly its form factor and weight, it's easy to transport, reasonably priced and under 500g, which makes a regulatory difference here in Switzerland.

I'm already somewhat into videography on the ground, but the third dimension is completely new for me. I've found the forum through google and hope to get tips and help, I already have something bothering me, but that's a different thread.

How aggressively do they check that weight limit in Switzerland?

Most of the smaller, lower-priced drones would fit under 500g while the Mavic Pro models are in the 900 gram range.

BTW, for anyone else, here's an interactive map of the country with restricted drone zones.

Swiss Geoportal

That 500g limit is pretty significant, as smaller consumer drones have a lot more latitude on where to fly.

Supposedly Swiss companies are at the forefront of drone research for commercial and military. Otherwise they might have outright banned consumer drones.

Also read somewhere that you need to have liability insurance of 1 million swiss francs. I doubt a 900 gram drone like the Mavic 2s would do that much more damage than drones under 500 grams. Difference is about a pound, so I guess Mavic Air and Sparks fit under the limit?

Problem is that it's impossible for Americans to get liability insurance with worldwide coverage for non-commercial use. I've looked around and such policies don't exist.

I have no idea how much this is enforced, however, if it is illegal to fly drones in certain cases, simply don't do it. Even hovering above the floor is forbidden in 5km proximity of any airport or helipad with heavier drones. I'm really not into a lawsuit with our equivalent of the FAA. It doesn't mean I can do whatever I want with a <500g drone, common sense is of utmost importance, no matter the weight class. But at least I'm allowed to start in some proximity to a helipad or smaller airport. As we all know, sometimes 30, 40, 50 Meters is more than enough for the desired shot and common sense tells me that I would never harm or endanger any aircraft, being so close to the ground, even if I'm just 2km away from a helipad.

That kind of insurance is very common in Switzerland anyway, I have it, so that's nothing to worry about for me.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada