DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing gear to stiffen front arms

fificap

Reactions
Hi,

I bought a landing gear extension for mavic mini which has a positive side effect on the stiffness of the front arm.

I know that some owners report a problem with propellers touching the body of the drone or more serious problems potentially due to the "flexibility" of the front arms (with "foam inside"!), easily twisted by the effort of the engine + propeller assembly against the wind...

Once in place, these extensions secure the front and rear arms on each side, preventing those at the front from twisting (those at the back are already very rigid).

The only downside is that I wonder if the part that fits on the end of the front arms does not reduce the signal reception because the antennas are in the front arms.

20200203_195222.jpg
20200203_194915.jpg

Reactions: Khayman
The only downside is that I wonder if the part that fits on the end of the front arms does not reduce the signal reception because the antennas are in the front arms.
Don't worry - Plastics are transparent to Radio Frequency - so these won't affect your range or reception.

Reactions: fificap
Other leg extensions attach the same way and I have not heard of signal problems with those.

Reactions: fificap
Thanks,
So as there is no effect on signal, those landing gear are very useful to procure more safety room under the body, and to prevent arms twisting and propellers/body collision!

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt KO
I know that some owners report a problem with propellers touching the body of the drone or more serious problems potentially due to the "flexibility" of the front arms
They do twist easily, but I'm thinking it might have to do more with the way the props easily bend (since they are thin and flimsy). That combined with the fact that the front props are able to reach the body. While it wouldn't be as portable, it might be interesting to try a single blade prop that's a bit thicker. Maybe we'll see something like that from a 3rd party.

Do the front legs flex at all with those landing gear attached?

Reactions: Khayman
Have not seen this style gear before...
Is it possible that you could split a piece of pool noodle to slip on the gear to make a pontoon/float and get "double-duty" out of it?
I've seen those as stand-alone products.
If you have an old noodle I'd love to know if it adds too much weight. I look at a pontoon as a safety measure that would get little use EXCEPT in doing a pond fly-over etc. and I don't want to toss away money if there is a workaround.

Reactions: careless
Another variant..

Attachments

• IMG_0791.JPG
    IMG_0791.JPG
    757.3 KB · Views: 73
Have not seen this style gear before...
Is it possible that you could split a piece of pool noodle to slip on the gear to make a pontoon/float and get "double-duty" out of it?
I've seen those as stand-alone products.
If you have an old noodle I'd love to know if it adds too much weight. I look at a pontoon as a safety measure that would get little use EXCEPT in doing a pond fly-over etc. and I don't want to toss away money if there is a workaround.
The pool floats, If they interfere with the downflow of the props, will make it unflyable. I have that problem with the aftermarket floats that are only 1 1/2 in. diameter.

Hopefully the regulars here that are having the problem, will give them a try. No voiding the warranty. Sounds like a great idea if they stopped the warp.
Thanks for the post, could solve a major problem. Do you know the weight?

Do the front legs flex at all with those landing gear attached?

When attached, the front legs don't twist (rotation in arm axe) at all, but it don't change the "vertical" flexibility.

Hopefully the regulars here that are having the problem, will give them a try. No voiding the warranty. Sounds like a great idea if they stopped the warp.
Thanks for the post, could solve a major problem. Do you know the weight?

geek.wish.com product description said 15g for the pair, i haven't verified.

The pool floats, If they interfere with the downflow of the props, will make it unflyable. I have that problem with the aftermarket floats that are only 1 1/2 in. diameter.
Thanks.... good to know about the prop wash effect. Hadn’t heard that mentioned

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr James