DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing Manually (Properly)

I’ve flown drones before and confident aligning the drone with the pad.. but the A2S is an extremely light drone and relatively weak gusts of wind (and the updraft from its own propulsion) moves the drone erratically a few inches during its hover. My point was that these few inches (using the pad I’ve pictured above) is enough to blow the drone off centre to have part of the aircraft land outside the landing pad. I always landed my P4 spot on the ‘H’, every time as I’m able to physically touch down manually. The A2S automated landing is not as good as me!!😉

Maybe just buy a bigger pad for the A2S?!

Maybe go with leg extensions to get some more clearance if the MA2s gets off center on the pad ... or even being able to land without the need of a pad?

These ones are foldable so can remain on even if you fold the drone arms ...
Amazon.com

1648664578514.png

The A2S automated landing is not as good as me!!
Why don't you adjust it left, right, forwards,, back during the final descent with the right joystick? If it's only inches out them that should be within the distances that are feasible. I have done it often enough with a Mavic Mini and Mini 2, I would be surprised if it wasn't possible with the MA2S.

Why don't you adjust it left, right, forwards,, back during the final descent with the right joystick? If it's only inches out them that should be within the distances that are feasible. I have done it often enough with a Mavic Mini and Mini 2, I would be surprised if it wasn't possible with the MA2S.
I’m not saying it’s not possible and what youve described is exactly what i am doing as I’ve described in my earlier posts. It just means that some of the time the drone will land slightly off the landing pad, and in long(ish) grass your props will be strimming the grass! Personally I think the automated landing on the A2S is a negative (I’m talking about the final 0.5m automated decent, not the RTH), the pilot should should be in control in critical meanouvours such as this. At very least DJI should have made it optional where one can simply turn it off if they wish to land in the way I’ve described.

thanks to everyone who has contributed to this.

(I’m talking about the final 0.5m automated decent, not the RTH), the pilot should should be in control in critical meanouvours such as this.

The point I am trying to make is that you do have control during the final descent.
I can slow the descent rate by giving slight throttle or, with care, make it hover 2 or 3 inches off the ground, I wouldn't try that for a prolonged period, it's tempting fate too much, but I have done it.

The point I am trying to make is that you do have control during the final descent.
I can slow the descent rate by giving slight throttle or, with care, make it hover 2 or 3 inches off the ground, I wouldn't try that for a prolonged period, it's tempting fate too much, but I have done it.
Oh I see, I didn’t realise the sticks would do anything or at least be wise to interfere whilst it was descending in that automated mode. Sounds a bit risky but I’ll give that a go once I’ve sorted out the video downlink transmission issues I’m having (different thread). Thanks again for the heads up.

FWIW, my experience with Precision Landing on the 2S is far more accurate and reliable, even with some gusty winds on landing.

However, you must ascend on takeoff to 20-25', then hover there for a little bit (I count to 10), in order for the PL system to get the image it needs. Also keep in mind it needs to be directly over the landing point, with a tolerance of a few inches. If windy and gusty, GPS can lock but is at the limit of accuracy, then you may get blown off the landing point a few feet before the image is captured, locking in the WRONG precise point to land on.

Other considerations... Any R/P stick input will kill PL, so don't try and improve the landing, if you want PL to work. Also, that initial image ascent has to be done manually, no automated ascent to the right height.

If everything is done right, I get a very repeatable PL usually within.3 inches of the takeoff point, under windy conditions as well.

This is with all my DJI drones, including the 2S.

FWIW, my experience with Precision Landing on the 2S is far more accurate and reliable, even with some gusty winds on landing.

However, you must ascend on takeoff to 20-25', then hover there for a little bit (I count to 10), in order for the PL system to get the image it needs. Also keep in mind it needs to be directly over the landing point, with a tolerance of a few inches. If windy and gusty, GPS can lock but is at the limit of accuracy, then you may get blown off the landing point a few feet before the image is captured, locking in the WRONG precise point to land on.

Other considerations... Any R/P stick input will kill PL, so don't try and improve the landing, if you want PL to work. Also, that initial image ascent has to be done manually, no automated ascent to the right height.

If everything is done right, I get a very repeatable PL usually within.3 inches of the takeoff point, under windy conditions as well.

I do the same and have almost perfect landings 9 out of 10 times. Take off, ascend to around 25', hover there for a few seconds and then start flying. That's what the Air 2S manual says.

Screenshot_20220331-181739_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

And if PL fails, it's GPS positioning, which at best under ideal constellation configuration, is 3-4' accurate.

A typical H landing pad provides a very good, high contrast target.

I just hand land or grab I almost never do the pad or on the ground. Here is a trick however - Bring the drone down to shoulder level facing away from you then quickly slide your hand under the drone, this disables the down sensors so just stick down and easy peasy.

I never liked this feature either for all the reasons stated by the OP...basically a safety feature for newbies, but I've gotten used to it

The only workaround this is to put a black tape or something that covers the down sensors before taking off.
The sensor will be unable to read and you will be able to land manually in the way you want. I have tested this in the past and works.
Would be best to just disable downward sensors completely instead of messing their data:

Do you hit the RTH to Precision Land? If so, at what distance and altitude? I don’t touch the RTH button!

Here you have a very good video explaining Precision Landing from one of our members, @zeusfl

Thanks for the video (but I am aware of how that works), I was really asking how YOU land. I noticed in the video that the precession landing wasn’t exactly ‘precision’ IMO - The automation looks no better at keeping the aircraft centred on the pad than I !! I’ll probably stick to my own method of flying back manually and aligning the aircraft with the H pad. RTH would be good if for some reason you were unable to fly back yourself.

Reactions: Scona
Thanks for the video (but I am aware of how that works), I was really asking how YOU land. I noticed in the video that the precession landing wasn’t exactly ‘precision’ IMO - The automation looks no better at keeping the aircraft centred on the pad than I !! I’ll probably stick to my own method of flying back manually and aligning the aircraft with the H pad. RTH would be good if for some reason you were unable to fly back yourself.
I usually bring back my Mini 2 manually and hand land but my Air 2S lands way better by itself using precision landing that what I'm capable. Usually within less than 3 inches from the center of the landing pad no matter how windy it is.

Last edited:
Do you hit the RTH to Precision Land? If so, at what distance and altitude? I don’t touch the RTH button!
Yes... it's the only way to invoke precision landing.

Activate RTH beyond 50' (IIRC) and the full procedure will be triggered, including PL.

Reactions: RealSting
Zeusfl did not follow the proper procedure for PL. The manual says to ascend to 7 meters before flying off. And the landing area must not change. He only went to 15 - 16 feet and when changed position, his shadow on the pad also moved. When the directions are followed, mine always lands within inches of takeoff point. I have watched mine and videos of other's where the drone corrected position on the way down by several feet in order to land with "precision".

I usually bring back my Mini 2 manually and hand land but my Air 2S lands way better by itself using precision landing that what I'm capable. Usually within less than 3 inches from the center of the landing pad no matter how windy it is.
Yes... it's the only way to invoke precision landing.

Activate RTH beyond 50' (IIRC) and the full procedure will be triggered, including PL.
Thanks for clearing that up. Though I understood what these functions were, I was a little bit confused on the procedures. Personally, I think the precision landing could’ve been implemented better (or at least extended) by only providing visual or audible cues rather than taking over the whole procedure of landing. RTH should (optionally) be reserved for getting the aircraft/pilot out of difficulty.

Thank you to everybody here for providing me with this info.

I disagree.

I by default use RTH and Precision Landing to come home and land. I've done it manually so many times and have more than sufficient skills to be perfect about it it's boring as watching paint dry. It's why I'm also habitually careful to set up PL every flight.

The exception is the FPV which is always challenging and fun to land.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke