DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing on a boat

JP

Reactions
Sorry Newbie here with a question. So lets say you are out wakeboarding and you calibrate compass at the dock on the transom area of the boat and then take off. The drone is following along taking pics and now you want to land. I suspect RTH function will not work so manual landing on the boat is the option?

Sorry if this is obvious, I just want to be sure.

Thanks

Set return to controller....turn off downward VPS

As it comes down, cancel the rth at 30 feet, it will hover

Bring it down manually and hand Catch.......

Reactions: WillB
NEVER calibrate your compass at the dock! Do it in an open area with no metal structures around, e.g. in a meadow only.
You can then either set the home point to a location at land or to the remote's position.
Landing on a boat is very dangerous as the boat is constantly moving. So better fly manually to the boat and grab your Mavic by hand in the air. Easy if Landing Protection is switched off.

I've done boat landing, hand catching and no catching. My experience is best to fly it back manually. If you have the experience to land on a moving boat, then land it on surface, if you want, otherwise hand catching may be easier. Don't let your friend do it however, we already have a thread about that.

NEVER calibrate your compass at the dock! Do it in an open area with no metal structures around, e.g. in a meadow only.
You can then either set the home point to a location at land or to the remote's position.
Landing on a boat is very dangerous as the boat is constantly moving. So better fly manually to the boat and grab your Mavic by hand in the air. Easy if Landing Protection is switched off.

You are correct . This is how a lot of people end up with bad calibrations . Calibrate in a known safe spot with no concrete/rebar , metal , power lines ,cell phone etc nearby and then only if prompted again . If the arrow on the map shows the Mavic pointed in the right direction then the compass is fine . If it is not or you get a magnetic interference alert then move to a safe spot to see if it goes away first .

Thanks for the responses fellow flyers. In my case the boat would stop as the boarder went down or let go so I will just manually fly it in and hand catch.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spawnn