DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing Pads

I use a Pgytech landing pad. Word of caution... The spring steel is ferrous metal, is it enough to effect Mavics compass at startup, I'm not sure but why risk it. I power up the Mavic away from landing pad, after it initializes I put the pad under it. I may be a little over cautious, but that's just my nature.
Happy Landings

Reactions: Spanishcop
I need one for long grass / uneven ground (sand is too much of a risk for me) and am trying a square carpet sample I got free unlikely to blow away but a bit large if taking a long way - maybe sit on it if tired.
Having to paint it as a big red 'X' made the MP think it was as obstacle on RTH.

Has anyone bought one of the cheapish landing pads off eBay? If so, are they any good? I think they'd be useful at places like the beach...but just want to see if anyone has one and what they think of it. Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-G920I using MavicPilots mobile app

I can definitely advise one of these. They fold up small and are light. I do a lot of hiking with my Mavic and this does not add much weight to my backpack. On uneven ground or grass they give you a nice flat surface to land on. Also the downward sensing cameras can really lock on well on the pattern and precision landing works well because of this.

I got a 110cm diameter one which is meant for larger drones. It has the advantage of offering a larger landing area when you drift a bit in high winds. It also has more surface tension allowing you to use it on uneven surface as the Mavic is light enough not to push the surface down when landing. The third advantage of the bigger one is that it is heavier and thus has less tendency to fly away when not pegged down.

Amazon link: Amazon.com: MINIBIGGER 110cm Landing Pad Launch Pad HomeBase RC Drone Quadcopter Helicopter Fast-fold helipad Dronepad for DJI Mavic Pro Inspire2 Phantom 4 Phantom 3 2 1 Inspire1 protective Accessories: Camera & Photo

I bought one of the landing pads on ebay for $15. I always forget to bring it with me when i fly and end up hand launching/landing my quad half the time. But I hesitate doing that for the sake of my eyeballs.

On a side note I did a bit of a photoshoot out in a field with my gf. I wanted some aerial shots of her from above so I put the landing pad down while i flew for 20 min. The landing pad was on the ground a total of 25 min or so.

When I landed I noticed there were 3 deer ticks the size of pinheads on the landing pad! After thoroughly checking my girl and myself for ticks I went and bought some permethrin. I sprayed that stuff on my drone bag, the landing pad and a portable Matador blanket I put stuff down on. I hate ticks and the thought of bringing one back with their lyme disease totally creeps me out.

So put tick-check on your post-flight checklist!

Reactions: ajoy
I'm thinking of using a front door mat, the back side; It's light enough to carry around, heavy enough to not be blown away by wind, even from the props when landing, and solid enough to work on uneven ground, grass, sand. Some people have used car floor mats, but they tend to come in two, and only need one; front door mats come as one....:)

I almost bought one of these landing pads before realizing that I can simply use my regular 24" photo reflector that I bought on Amazon for like $10. I have tried it once and it seems to do the job just fine. I might use some tape and put a large "X" in the middle of the black side of the reflector to provide some more visual cues to the bird as it sets the RTH.

I use these pads every time I fly and solved all my problems. I would think that if the wind were strong enough to blow it away it would not be a very good day to be flying your Mavic.

After reading this post I looked at the back of my vehicle and saw a sunshade and decided to try it.
It worked great and I did not even have to anchor it down...IMG_0769.JPGIMG_0770.JPG

Got this at the auto accessory shop.
One photo shows the visor folded and the other open.

I have the same one the OP has posted and love it. I would recommend it if you are looking...F-Stop Labs has them on sale right now for $16

I almost bought a landing pad but just purchased the Kachula adventure blanket 2.0 it is $69 (I did the indiegogo campaign so I paid less) Has another use as a landing pad and is always in my truck.

Yes, I have one and as you pointed out, very good for taking off and landing on the beach or long grass. They also help the drone to return to home more accurately.

Has anyone bought one of the cheapish landing pads off eBay? If so, are they any good? I think they'd be useful at places like the beach...but just want to see if anyone has one and what they think of it. Thanks guys!

ebc8b2a1a0256a1f52120fec1d4e0fe9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920I using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: debric france
I always take off from my landing mat. It keeps any dust and dirt from kicking up into the machine. I think that in itself is worth buying one for.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr James