DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing vs Decending

Anybody whose Mavic is auto-landing from anything more than about 0.5m height should read the following thread. It's not normal, and DJI is aware of the issue. They say they have a fix, but they've yet to clarify if it's a hardware issue (in which case you need to return your Mavic) or if it'll be fixed in firmware.

The thread on the DJI forums: Mavic Pro will NOT descend unless VPS turned off.
Thanks for the link. Seems this is a known issue, which is somewhat of a relief, but the question now is what action do I take - turn off the VPS sensor and wait for a FW fix or send it in for repair... Decisions, decisions...

I´ve been hand catching (pretty easy) or force-landing, which works fine and is smooth every time regardless of surface. I´d be worried if it didn´t land at all, but it´s not the case. So I´ll wait for a fix, hopefully FW-related because sending it in would be a nightmare in more than one way lol.

My mavic whenever i pull 100% more than 1 sec it start saying "landing" is this normal or possibly an software/hardware issue?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

No, not normal. I pull down 100% all the time, and it only goes to landing mode when I'm quite close to the ground.

Here's something to check, on the screen of the remote (not your phone) in the lower left it says clearance and there's a number indicating how much clearance it has from the ground. Mine doesn't indicate anything when I'm way up in the air. Does yours show that it thinks it's close to the ground?

iPhone 6S

Reactions: limbows
No, not normal. I pull down 100% all the time, and it only goes to landing mode when I'm quite close to the ground.

Here's something to check, on the screen of the remote (not your phone) in the lower left it says clearance and there's a number indicating how much clearance it has from the ground. Mine doesn't indicate anything when I'm way up in the air. Does yours show that it thinks it's close to the ground?

iPhone 6S

hi niclariv, thank you for telling me where to look at. yes the indicator show on the lower left remote, that i'm only at 0.5,1.0/2.0 m clearance while i am at 50m high.. wth! definately something wrong with the sensors. and whenever i try to fly it slightly going up.
tried to turn off the vps and it fly normal, i can gain or reduce altitude with no problem. even with the left stick pulled down 100% no more "Landing" notification. but need to be careful with the landing.

but when you turn off the vps, does it still can return to home with precision landing?

Reactions: knownbug
Date : 2017.02.14
Firmware : v01.03.0400
DJI GO 4 App iOS : v4.0.4
DJI GO 4 App Android : v4.0.2

still download and updating firmware at this moment. hope this really fix the vps issue

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 1.19.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 1.19.56 PM.png
    214 KB · Views: 46
hi niclariv, thank you for telling me where to look at. yes the indicator show on the lower left remote, that i'm only at 0.5,1.0/2.0 m clearance while i am at 50m high.. wth! definately something wrong with the sensors. and whenever i try to fly it slightly going up.
tried to turn off the vps and it fly normal, i can gain or reduce altitude with no problem. even with the left stick pulled down 100% no more "Landing" notification. but need to be careful with the landing.

but when you turn off the vps, does it still can return to home with precision landing?

Sounds like if you can't fix it with software there's something wrong with your drone and you should get DJI to fix it. You paid big bucks, it should work perfectly.

iPhone 6S

Date : 2017.02.14
Firmware : v01.03.0400
DJI GO 4 App iOS : v4.0.4
DJI GO 4 App Android : v4.0.2

still download and updating firmware at this moment. hope this really fix the vps issue

Finally. Looks like this is addressing this problem.

I have the same issue occurring periodically. Hopefully this is the fix.

Hey everyone. So glad I found this forum! So 3 weeks in with my Mavic. Quick question - whenever I descend, my Mavic rotates as it is descending. Is that normal? Is because I descend at 100% I noticed that if I descend very slightly, it will remain in the same position. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: knownbug
Hey everyone. So glad I found this forum! So 3 weeks in with my Mavic. Quick question - whenever I descend, my Mavic rotates as it is descending. Is that normal? Is because I descend at 100% I noticed that if I descend very slightly, it will remain in the same position. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance!

It's not supposed to descend without being commanded to. Are you sure you're not applying a slight amount of yaw while you're applying 100% down stick? You might also want to try checking your RC's stick calibration.

It's not supposed to descend without being commanded to. Are you sure you're not applying a slight amount of yaw while you're applying 100% down stick? You might also want to try checking your RC's stick calibration.
Ok thanks! I will try to calibrate. Have to wait until our 30 mph go away though!

Ok thanks! I will try to calibrate. Have to wait until our 30 mph go away though!
I assume you mean you will have to wait to test the result in flight. Just in case that's not what you meant - stick calibration is an indoor activity.

Reactions: 51 Drones
OK. It's not just my Mavic. Over the past couple of weeks I've noticed drifting and yawing and ascending when my Mavic should be staying still. I've updated all firmware, re-calibrated the compass and the controller only to find that it then didn't respond to a descend command from the controller stick. It only landed after I initiated a LAND command through my tablet. That wasn't a good feeling. I recalibrated everything again and tried a test inside, because it was too windy outside, and broke two props. Now I'm waiting for the winds to drop off so I can test it again. I'm sceptical as to the descend working as it seems other on the forum are having similar issues and some have returned their Mavic. :-(

Thank you! I calibrated my controls and tonight I will do this! Appreciate it!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omni_Aerial