DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing

During a Litchi Waypoint flight today, over the ocean near my place, I was very grateful for that RTH button on my MP1 controller.

Used it for a successful end to an otherwise big scare, when "Signal Lost" appeared on the screen of my video tablet.

The "Sig loss" happened about 100 meters from the landing spot, with 65% battery. Bright sun in my eyes.

Thankfully all ended well, though I have no idea why or how to prevent another "Signal Lost".

Anyone else had this happen? Any answers, clues etc -
I guess this might be a Litchi question - but do you need "signal" when Litchi mission is running - isn't the mission stored on the drone so that if the mission came back home, it would have even without signal. And, I guess, I will ask - if there's no signal would RTH button actually work? Or was it only the video signal that was lost. Questions because I'm trying to learn!

Try manually selecting 5.8 GHz WiFi range before your flight. Go to the display, and scroll to the right to reveal these higher frequencies. Select “manual” mode, then patiently watch the various bands for a while to see which ones show no interference.

Below this display you’ll have a row of selectable numbers corresponding to the frequencies. Press your choice, and confirm.

Then launch. Note: you cannot change frequency in flight.
Thanks for that Dan, much appreciated! I will follow your instructions when next I fly.

I guess this might be a Litchi question - but do you need "signal" when Litchi mission is running - isn't the mission stored on the drone so that if the mission came back home, it would have even without signal. And, I guess, I will ask - if there's no signal would RTH button actually work? Or was it only the video signal that was lost. Questions because I'm trying to learn!
Questions indeed, needing answers!. All I know is that I lost all video connection with drone and camera. Thankfully though the RTH button on the controller worked and my bird returned to me without any further drama - very big relief I can tell you!!

Questions indeed, needing answers!. All I know is that I lost all video connection with drone and camera. Thankfully though the RTH button on the controller worked and my bird returned to me without any further drama - very big relief I can tell you!!
You cannot manually initiate RTH without a control signal, so the RTH button cannot do anything if signal was, in fact, already lost. However, if your default setting for loss of control signal is RTH, then that's what it will do. However, while running a Litchi mission, if signal is lost, you generally want the mission to continue to completion, instead of RTH! "All I know is..." not enough!

Thanks GG, Just occurred to me - the button command I gave, was not the reason, the RTH was in fact triggered by Litchi on loss of signal.

Aah we learn more with each new flight eh!
Still learning after 2 years and 300 klms

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Thanks GG, Just occurred to me - the button command I gave, was not the reason, the RTH was in fact triggered by Litchi on loss of signal.

Aah we learn more with each new flight eh!
Still learning after 2 years and 300 klms
We all learn from each other! Crowd sourced user support!

You can choose the behavior, and yes, continuing the mission is one option.

As for not responding to RTH, probably not. However, it might be that while the software is reporting loss of signal, the RTH command might go through.

I’d pause and consider WHY you’ve lost signal, though. Simply too far away or noisy environment? Go for it.

Something large obstructing your signal? Think hard about RTH. While the mode has some ability to avoid obstacles, it has limits to how far it will deviate. In my area, there are often cables running between buildings too. The sensors probably won’t see those, but they could bring your drone down, not to mention suffer damage from your rotors.

If you’ve carefully scouted the route you’ve programmed, you are likely best off letting the mission run. Once the obstacle is cleared, you’ll reacquire signal, and then you can decide what to do.

Personally, I always bring it home manually. Once it's fairly close I pop it from Sport to P mode (when relevant) then turn it so it's facing away from me. That way side stick control will be intuitive, and not reversed as would be the case if the drone was facing towards you. Reverse and descend, correcting left and right as needed so it comes straight in. Hand catch it, preferably while the props are still well above my eye level.

Personally, I always bring it home manually. Once it's fairly close I pop it from Sport to P mode (when relevant) then turn it so it's facing away from me. That way side stick control will be intuitive, and not reversed as would be the case if the drone was facing towards you. Reverse and descend, correcting left and right as needed so it comes straight in. Hand catch it, preferably while the props are still well above my eye level.
Your bringing back memories. That’s how I used to get my RC HELI’s home when I first started. The reality is I did myself a disservice. The habit was hard to break. If you train your brain to fly as though you are sitting in the cockpit it becomes second nature very quickly and reduces any potential errors when something goes wrong. This is especially true where we are combining VLOS with FPV. The quickest way to train is to fly figure 8’s forwards and backwards.

Reactions: PAW and GadgetGuy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones