8A95EC44-5FEC-4624-B9C5-F3FC18CA43F5.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 542FD3C6-0FD8-43F5-9B67-453E882C4049.jpeg
    542FD3C6-0FD8-43F5-9B67-453E882C4049.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 94A3B4F6-471E-4E0F-90CB-30D6043BF69F.jpeg
    94A3B4F6-471E-4E0F-90CB-30D6043BF69F.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 22
I, too, am into landscape photography. Here’s a shot I took nearby the other day.1582688998087.jpeg
I’m also doing aerial shots of iconic-looking old barns. I find that photographing them at about the roofline is preferable to a shot from the ground with a DSLR.

Reactions: xtro360
I almost always shoot in AEB (5 shots bracket), but since the exposure difference is so small (0.3EV between shots), its usually not needed.
We had an interesting discussion on the subject of HDR panos recently in this thread. So your take is that AEB will not yield significantly better results since the exposure differences are minimal? And if so, have you tried manual exposure bracketing to increase the range of exposures?

Oh, and here is one of my HDR panos; EDIT: there is a glaring stitching problem there which I fixed in a later edit but I can't find the file for the life of me - note to self: I need a better filing system!
dji_0906-hdr-pano-1-jpg.85300

I love those shots! I’m a big fan of landscape photography but I’m still learning. I live in Utah in the US and have access to a wonderful variety of scenery to shoot. But I’m still learning about composition and digital post processing. Here are a few of my shots. They’re not even in the same league as yours but I’m learning.

View attachment 95097View attachment 95098View attachment 95099View attachment 95100View attachment 95101

These are really cool! Do you shoot landscapes on the ground with a regular old non-flying camera too, or just with the drone?

I especially like number 3 and 4, and the light and reflections are awesome on the last one. I would try to return to that one when there are some clouds in the sky :)

I don't know if you're interested in some feedback (just ignore me if you aren't!), but I would have loved to see the fourth shot just a little higher so you get the unbroken line of the road winding through the scene.

On the third shot maybe going a bit closer so the spiral thing and the cool patterns in the ice can get some more weight in the frame, but it's also very good the way it is in this shot. This one is my favorite I think.

I really like the colors in the second shot, the yellows and blues look nice together, but the fence sort of makes a line that leads your eye to the wrong places in this one I think.

I would love to visit Utah some day. The desert vistas and canyons that you guys have are very different to the landscape I usually shoot here in northern Europe :)

Reactions: IShouldBeWorking
I, too, am into landscape photography. Here’s a shot I took nearby the other day.View attachment 95116
I’m also doing aerial shots of iconic-looking old barns. I find that photographing them at about the roofline is preferable to a shot from the ground with a DSLR.

Good shot! love the line going from diagonal to diagonal! This one might look stunning as a black and white, with quite high contrast, and maybe the top part cropped off so its all river and fields. Just thinking out loud :)

I was actually thinking of photographing old barns with the drone. We sometimes have these old small barns in fields in Sweden that can look really cool and quite worn down by the elements. I think they might have been used as temporary storage before bringing in the hay or something? Might steal your idea sometime :)

We had an interesting discussion on the subject of HDR panos recently in this thread. So your take is that AEB will not yield significantly better results since the exposure differences are minimal? And if so, have you tried manual exposure bracketing to increase the range of exposures?

Oh, and here is one of my HDR panos; EDIT: there is a glaring stitching problem there which I fixed in a later edit but I can't find the file for the life of me - note to self: I need a better filing system!
dji_0906-hdr-pano-1-jpg.85300

Nice shot! Some good contrast between warm and cold light in this one.

Yeah I kind of feel that the exposure difference in the AEB mode just doesn't make much of a difference. Even a 5-shot bracket is only 1.2 stops difference between darkest and lightest frame, and I find a single raw works fine for that situation. Merging five 0.3EV frames just gives a risk of ghosting/artifacts, but with no huge benefit in dynamic range I think.

I would love to have a 3-shot bracket with something like -1.2, 0, +1.2EV, or even better; just let me set number of shots and EV difference in the settings!

I always shoot manual, and quite often I grab a darker frame and a lighter one (so a manual bracketing), but it would be sweet to have it automated, especially in high winds or with moving things in the frame.

Yeah I kind of feel that the exposure difference in the AEB mode just doesn't make much of a difference. Even a 5-shot bracket is only 1.2 stops difference between darkest and lightest frame, and I find a single raw works fine for that situation. Merging five 0.3EV frames just gives a risk of ghosting/artifacts, but with no huge benefit in dynamic range I think.
Ok, that makes a lot of sense. I shoot 5 set AEBs more than 99% of the time but this makes me rethink if this is a good strategy. I think you have won me over.
I would love to have a 3-shot bracket with something like -1.2, 0, +1.2EV, or even better; just let me set number of shots and EV difference in the settings!
Yeah, the lack of manual control in setting the exposure stepping is one of the biggest blunders DJI have made. They could have at least set the exposure range of the AEB set a little higher to something like 2EV. But they didn't. The only other option is doing our won manual exposure bracketing (MEB) and I tried to see if this was possible. I tested it indoors with the mavic resting on top of a table facing a wall. First, I selected AEB mode in the camera settings, adjusted the shutter speed until the EV dial read 0.0 EV (at a shutter speed of 1") and let AEB do its work to see what the auto-exposure-bracketing gives me. I got 5 shots separated by +/-0.3EV (at shutter speeds of 0.4, 0.6, 1.0, 1.6, and 2.5 seconds).

I then switched to single photos mode, adjusted the shutter speed to the same 1" exposure and an EV of 0.0 took one shot, and then took two under exposed and two over exposed shots separated by +/- 1 EV centered at 0.0 EV. I got 5 shots with exposures of 1/3, 0.5, 1.0, 1.6, and 3.0 seconds. I then imported both sets into LR to see if it would have any issues merging them into single HDR images. No issues at all, LR recognized both sets as bracketed exposures and merged each set in to one HDR image. So I think manual exposure bracketing is indeed possible with the Mavics although one has to put a little more effort than is necessary due to DJI's lack of foresight. Unfortunately, I have not yet tried shooting MEB in the field so I have no idea if the result is worth this extra effort. I think I will add it to my to do list for my next outing.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense. I shoot 5 set AEBs more than 99% of the time but this makes me rethink if this is a good strategy. I think you have won me over.

I almost always shoot 5 AEB too, but I mostly end up only importing one or two of them to lightroom.

MEB in the field

It works pretty well 90% of the time. The problem is if you have any drift due to high winds. LR/PS is great at aligning images if the camera was reasonably still and just changed the angle a bit, but if the drone is drifting it can cause some issues. Mostly work ok even when its windy though.

These are really cool! Do you shoot landscapes on the ground with a regular old non-flying camera too, or just with the drone?

I especially like number 3 and 4, and the light and reflections are awesome on the last one. I would try to return to that one when there are some clouds in the sky :)

I don't know if you're interested in some feedback (just ignore me if you aren't!), but I would have loved to see the fourth shot just a little higher so you get the unbroken line of the road winding through the scene.

On the third shot maybe going a bit closer so the spiral thing and the cool patterns in the ice can get some more weight in the frame, but it's also very good the way it is in this shot. This one is my favorite I think.

I really like the colors in the second shot, the yellows and blues look nice together, but the fence sort of makes a line that leads your eye to the wrong places in this one I think.

I would love to visit Utah some day. The desert vistas and canyons that you guys have are very different to the landscape I usually shoot here in northern Europe :)

Thank you! I really only shoot with my Mavic these days. I took a few years of photo classes back in the film days in college, but that's been a long time and the photo workflow was so different. I appreciate the feedback on the shots! Those are just the kinds of things I need to hear to learn. I'm still working on 'seeing' the scene and improving composition. I think I'll check out that book you recommended as well. Luckily those are all locations within a few hours drive of home so I can revisit them all as I learn. If you ever get the chance to travel over here, I'd be happy to share some great locations. Just say the word! ?

Good shot! love the line going from diagonal to diagonal! This one might look stunning as a black and white, with quite high contrast, and maybe the top part cropped off so its all river and fields. Just thinking out loud :)

I was actually thinking of photographing old barns with the drone. We sometimes have these old small barns in fields in Sweden that can look really cool and quite worn down by the elements. I think they might have been used as temporary storage before bringing in the hay or something? Might steal your idea sometime :)
Yes, the top needs to be cropped.

I'll try the photo in B&W--good idea. . . .

I know most of the content here is videos, but I pretty much only use my drone (a pro platinum) for landscape photography. I've had it since last summer, and I love the new opportunities it gives to capture landscapes!

Does anyone else use their drone for landscape photography? I'd love to see some of your shots!

Here are a couple of mine to start things off!

I've been a professional photographer for more years than I care to say. I've seen a lot of photos and know a good shot from one that's maybe not so good. I'm very impressed with your pics and look forward to seeing more of them.

I also choose 5 AEB & RAW for my (1st generation) Mavic Pro shots, especially when there are large contrast differences. I create panorama's by hand by setup in portrait and rotate the drone a bit for each shot. Make sure for sufficient overlap otherwise the final result has less vertical pixels.
The first couple of shots I took were taken in Landmannalaugar & Laugavegur trail, the other pictures on other locations in Iceland, last year early July. The sunset was at midnight and sunrise at 2:45 am and I took so many images on top of the Blue mountain around that timeframe....

Attachments

• LR_DJI_0136-HDR-Pano.jpg
    LR_DJI_0136-HDR-Pano.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 13
  • LR_DJI_0248-HDR-Pano.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 7
  • LR_DJI_0305-HDR.jpg
    LR_DJI_0305-HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
  • LR_DJI_0405-HDR-Pano-3.jpg
    LR_DJI_0405-HDR-Pano-3.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 12
  • LR_DJI_0439-HDR.jpg
    LR_DJI_0439-HDR.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 12
  • LR_DJI_0023-HDR.jpg
    LR_DJI_0023-HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 11
  • LR_DJI_0037-HDR.jpg
    LR_DJI_0037-HDR.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
  • LR_DJI_0048-HDR.jpg
    LR_DJI_0048-HDR.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 11
  • LR_DJI_0053-HDR.jpg
    LR_DJI_0053-HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
  • LR_DJI_0060-HDR.jpg
    LR_DJI_0060-HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
Great shots!
I'm a professional aerial photographer with a focus on nature shots / topdown..
If you'd like to see some of my work..
@gershee
Keep up the great work!
??

Great shots.

I mostly do landscapes with my Mavic PP (including my avatar image). I also was shooting triple exposures early on, but realized the 0 EV exposure was the one I ended up editing for further use.

However, I've also found it great to get shots either with me in the photo, or with just a little bit more elevation than I could normally get with my handheld SLR, or into places that are hard to access.

Haven't gotten to the amazing vistas yet, but here are a few of mine...

Spring, Delayed
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1235102.jpg

Walk The Line
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1238010.jpg

Welcome to the City of Brotherly Love (Benjamin Franklin Bridge)
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1245327.jpg

Storm Front (Delaware Memorial Bridge)
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1237300.jpg

Designated Survivor
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1239691.jpg

The Loner
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1235784.jpg

Washington Crossing Bridge
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1239482.jpg

The Road Less Traveled
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1245194.jpg

After The Storm
D3F87587-2E29-4DB9-B07E-BEC42567C3A3.jpeg

I know most of the content here is videos, but I pretty much only use my drone (a pro platinum) for landscape photography. I've had it since last summer, and I love the new opportunities it gives to capture landscapes!

Does anyone else use their drone for landscape photography? I'd love to see some of your shots!

Here are a couple of mine to start things off!

View attachment 94916

View attachment 94917

View attachment 94918

View attachment 94919

View attachment 94920

View attachment 94921

View attachment 94922
Nice one!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads