DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Langley Airforce Base Still Unprepared for Drone Incursions.

Those drones cannot be identified because they don't have RID.

RID is meant to identify and punish honest, law-abiding drone flyers who happen to make a mistake. We equip our drones with RID and then enter the details into the FAA database; it's like putting a credit card on file that can be charged at any time should you incur overage charges.

The criminals don't use RID so nobody, not even the military, can track them down or identify them. Because that's the definition of "crime" where you don't follow the rules and you hide your tracks. We were told RID would curtail crime but it's more effective at doling out the punishment once the citizen has been caught first.

Fly a Mini over a parade for 5 minutes and get arrested, go to jail, lose your drone, pay a big fine; maybe. Fly an unknown drone for 15 days over military bases and airports and nothing they can do. Awesome.

It does not inspire confidence that the military allowed them to fly around for that long without taking some action.

I have the same opinion, and wondered in a different thread why they weren't shot down. The article answers:

"Interestingly, a federal law prohibits U.S. forces from blasting drones near America's military bases unless the UAVs are confirmed as hostile."​

The law needs to change. IMO sensitive military sites should have a mandate to take out any unauthorized drones in their restricted airspace.

Reactions: The Droning Company
We Marines find it amusing when guys from the junior services take verbal pot-shots at one another.
It is meant to be amusing. I have the highest respect for anyone that has served in any service. Even the Crayon Eaters. Busting on other Services is a long standing tradition.
Semper Fi Brother.

Reactions: The Droning Company
I have the same opinion, and wondered in a different thread why they weren't shot down. The article answers:

"Interestingly, a federal law prohibits U.S. forces from blasting drones near America's military bases unless the UAVs are confirmed as hostile."​

The law needs to change. IMO sensitive military sites should have a mandate to take out any unauthorized drones in their restricted airspace.
I kind of think that John Q. Public isn't getting the whole story regarding these incidents.

That said, it seems to me that U.S. forces should assume that any unmanned craft flying low over a sensitive military facility without express prior authorization, even if inadvertent, might pose a security threat. There's no legitimate reason for such craft to be flying in such airspace. Unmanned drones of unknown origin, particularly swarms of them, shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt.

Accounts of the incidents state that some of the craft were quite large (car sized). Are there munitions or measures to deal with such things without endangering personnel or assets on the ground? I don't know.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dr0nk3rt