DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DRONE PILOT FINED $3,021 FOR DRONE INCURSION AT YOW

There is no doubt in my mind that the drone Pilot was completely unaware of the rules of his flying his drone. So this comes as no surprise and it could have been avoided wtih a sticker on the drone to warn people. $5000 fine for flying near airport, military or police rescue or forest fires and more .

The whole idea of adding up all the Penaltes is silly and not needed , just awareness..

Were reminded evey 5 finutes of driving the car not to speed, over 30 billioins signs , reminders , warning and for new drone pilotrs out of the box, , ZERO

You know what is a good sticker , " Watch out for Motorcycles "

If I was an Air Line Company I would advertise something like this !

We here at American Air Lines Care about your safety , a Remdiner to all Drone Pilots of the $ 5000 penalites for flying near or arround the Air Ports .

and there Tag Line : Fly American because we care !!!

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water , an Remind you to stay 5 miles away from the air ports , military, rescue, and forest fires .

There is no doubt in my mind that the drone Pilot was completely unaware of the rules of his flying his drone. So this comes as no surprise and it could have been avoided wtih a sticker on the drone to warn people. $5000 fine for flying near airport, military or police rescue or forest fires and more .

The whole idea of adding up all the Penaltes is silly and not needed , just awareness..

Were reminded evey 5 finutes of driving the car not to speed, over 30 billioins signs , reminders , warning and for new drone pilotrs out of the box, , ZERO

We here at American Air Lines Care about your safety , a Remdiner to all Drone Pilots of the $ 5000 penalites for flying near or arround the Air Ports .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water , an Remind you to stay 5 miles away from the air ports , military, rescue, and forest fires .
I disagree. As the article states being unaware of the regulations is no excuse for not knowing the law with respect to drones. As far as the itemized breakdown of the fines, I also agree with that too rather than just applying a lump sum fine. At least now the pilot knows what regulations he violated and maybe he will have learned what he needs to do to correct the situation if he chooses to continue with the hobby.

Also, flying from the vehicle and moving around also raises suspicion - it's seems like he new he wasn't supposed to fly there but was anyway and was trying to avoid being detected.

I for one am glad he was charged by Transport Canada otherwise what is the sense in having regulations in the first place if they are not going to be enforced.

Chris

You got to love how they used the Word INCURSION - loll had to look it up , mean attack, ugh

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water ,

You got to love how they used the Word INCURSION - loll had to look it up , mean attack, ugh
While there's no doubt at all that this drone flight actually was an unauthorized "incursion" into controlled airspace and he deserves to be severely fined, the diagram in that article shows the flight did not actually stray over any runway flight path, unlike the police-operated Matrice drone that struck a Cessna 172 at Buttonville airport in Toronto two years ago. (TSB report)

It's also interesting that the article mentions the drone detection system at YOW is capable of tracking drones up to 40km away. This same system at the airport was used to track several illegal drone flights downtown within the restricted airspace over the Parliament Buildings during Ottawa's trucker blockade and "Freedom Convoy" protests. It's curious that, despite being similarly equipped with numerous shutdowns at Gatwick due to reports of drone incursions, have they EVER managed to arrest anyone for that?

I live next to a small regional airport (YZV) with tower and controllers.Probably because a) our home is roughly 30 meters below the escarpment upon which the airport resides and b) our home is at right angles to access/egress air corridors used by the airport, we are able for years now to regularly request and obtain permission for limited flights respecting the airports in/out flight corridors. The app advises me whenever I get too close for comfort to zones, and if/when traffic is in the area. Never had a problem - but always get the ok, first. Peaceful co-existence.

Last edited:
KNOW THE REGS and KNOW THE PENALTIES!

Just curious....I thought the Air 2s wouldn't even lift off in an airport zone. No excuse for that bonehead. Before I bought my first drone, I had already read the rules and passed the exam. Surely an example of more money than brains. This town is full of I-Me-My people where self gratification comes before the rules. I'm happy they fined him like that. It should have been more considering what could have happened. Sorry about the rant... I just hate people like that.

Phantomrain.org
Come fly on the scare bus!

Just curious....I thought the Air 2s wouldn't even lift off in an airport zone. No excuse for that bonehead. Before I bought my first drone, I had already read the rules and passed the exam. Surely an example of more money than brains. This town is full of I-Me-My people where self gratification comes before the rules. I'm happy they fined him like that. It should have been more considering what could have happened. Sorry about the rant... I just hate people like that.
The Air 2S will, it's an authorization zone. You click the acknowledgement telling the DJI app that you confirm you are aware of the rules and you confirm you are properly authorized. It's probably either an Enhanced Warning Zone or an Altitude Zone.

TC penalties are civil penalties, so there is no need to prove knowledge or intent, but the DJI apps own acknowledgement alerts provide all the evidence of intent required.

Both non-permissioned flights within 500 feet of the runway. Using a hacked drone (you can't even spin up the motors in a red(red) zone with stock firmware). [Removed by ADMIN] like this are the reason that more and more regulation ties the rest of us in knots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phantomrain.org

Your point is totally silly. There are innumerable ways for ANY new drone pilot to learn the rules and limitations of flying a drone, not the least of which is the TRUST certification. You are REQUIRED to register your drone in the U.S. and to register you need to confirm that you have or will follow the TRUST certification process. Making excuses for an ignorant pilot doesn't help the hobby in the least.

Just curious....I thought the Air 2s wouldn't even lift off in an airport zone. No excuse for that bonehead.
It won't. DJI's Geofence system effectively prevented the drone from taking off within the Red restricted zone covering the runways. So the guy moved just outside the Red zone, into the hotel parking lot, and into the Blue authorization zone.

In order to take off there, DJI's geofence system requires that you be logged in with your verified DJI account via a live internet connection, click to acknowledge that you have authorization to fly in this area, and click to accept all risks and consequences of your actions. After that you are not prevented from flying within the Blue authorization zone.

The InDro Robotics system at the Ottawa Airport (YOW) recorded the drone's track from the moment it was first powered up within the Red restricted zone, and as it remained powered up in the guy's car as he drove back to the hotel parking lot, then tracked its flight (blue line) as it flew along the outer edge of the Red restricted zone, and tracked its 2nd flight (red line) as the drone again flew along the outer edge of the Red restricted zone.

And that's when the police rolled up and told him to land the drone.

DJI's Geofence system worked as designed to prevent the drone flying over the runways or approach/departure paths, and the InDro Robotics system worked to detect an unauthorized drone flight within the airport's controlled airspace, and the police successfully nabbed the culprit.

And, go figure, all of that was accomplished without forcing every model aircraft across the country to carry a ridiculous remote ID module.

Startup-Locations.jpg

YOW-drone-track.jpg

DJI-YOW.jpg

He obviously broke numerous laws, but he did not pose any danger to aircraft, except maybe the helicopter. Commerical jets take off and land over the runway, and DJI fly does not allow DJI drones to fly over runways. You can see by his flight path, that he never flew over a runway, so he never posed any danger to the jets. Strange flying from inside a car. I would think he would lose signal at times, unless he's holding the remote out a window.

He obviously broke numerous laws, but he did not pose any danger to aircraft, except maybe the helicopter. Commerical jets take off and land over the runway, and DJI fly does not allow DJI drones to fly over runways. You can see by his flight path, that he never flew over a runway, so he never posed any danger to the jets. Strange flying from inside a car. I would think he would lose signal at times, unless he's holding the remote out a window.
I tend to agree, the reckless operation probably shouldn't stand on the strength of where/how the actual aircraft was flown in this case..as Don points out in his video, this wasn't considered in the case of YRP's drone colliding with a Cessna, and they were literally in the glide path with no VLOS and not watching for aircraft.

Where the reckless operation could conceivably stand - and I am stabbing in the dark here because there is not case law that I'm aware of on it - is that the combination of not doing a site survey, purposely repositioning to areas where authorization zones could be unlocked around the red zone, operating the aircraft outside of manufacturer specs, thosebtypes of factors together could be considered reckless.

The trouble is that it's a regulatory offence and unless the pilot appeals to the Transportation Appeals Tribunal of Canada, the charge will never get a proper examination and analysis.

I tend to agree, the reckless operation probably shouldn't stand on the strength of where/how the actual aircraft was flown in this case..as Don points out in his video, this wasn't considered in the case of YRP's drone colliding with a Cessna, and they were literally in the glide path with no VLOS and not watching for aircraft.

Where the reckless operation could conceivably stand - and I am stabbing in the dark here because there is not case law that I'm aware of on it - is that the combination of not doing a site survey, purposely repositioning to areas where authorization zones could be unlocked around the red zone, operating the aircraft outside of manufacturer specs, thosebtypes of factors together could be considered reckless.

The trouble is that it's a regulatory offence and unless the pilot appeals to the Transportation Appeals Tribunal of Canada, the charge will never get a proper examination and analysis.
I think he's lucky he didn't get criminally charged.

The Ottawa drone pilot? Or the York Regional Police one? J/k

Yes, there is a criminal charge that could have applied. It's 77(e) of the Criminal Code, which basically says it's an offence to interfere with the operation of any air navigation facility where it is likely to endanger safety of an aircraft in flight. There are some challenges here, as the burden of proof is higher, the offence requires intent to be proved, and each element has to be proved (did the drone interefere with the air navigation? Did it endanger an aircraft in flight? Or did it merely inconvenience the operation while they tracked down the drone and sent police, etc). Presumably, a witness pilot from the aircraft that was endangered would be necessary, etc.

It's far easier to issue a Penalty Notice and deal with a later appeal, if any.

Reactions: shb
He obviously broke numerous laws, but he did not pose any danger to aircraft, except maybe the helicopter.
I think Don was mistaken about the blue "H" as it probably just marks the Home Location of where the drone was launched from and no helicopter was involved.

I agree that there was no actual danger to aircraft, as none of the normal traffic patterns cross over those hotels, and he was effectively prevented from flying over the runways. But there's always the question of what if... What was he actually trying to do?

He fully deserved to be fined for his stupid and illegal actions. I have no problem with that.

I am curious though why Gatwick airport keeps being shut down whenever anyone claims (with no evidence) to having seen a drone despite that facility being equipped with all the latest drone detection equipment, while the Ottawa airport continued to operate as normal.

Reactions: shb and rjwmorrell
It won't. DJI's Geofence system effectively prevented the drone from taking off within the Red restricted zone covering the runways. So the guy moved just outside the Red zone, into the hotel parking lot, and into the Blue authorization zone.

In order to take off there, DJI's geofence system requires that you be logged in with your verified DJI account via a live internet connection, click to acknowledge that you have authorization to fly in this area, and click to accept all risks and consequences of your actions. After that you are not prevented from flying within the Blue authorization zone.

The InDro Robotics system at the Ottawa Airport (YOW) recorded the drone's track from the moment it was first powered up within the Red restricted zone, and as it remained powered up in the guy's car as he drove back to the hotel parking lot, then tracked its flight (blue line) as it flew along the outer edge of the Red restricted zone, and tracked its 2nd flight (red line) as the drone again flew along the outer edge of the Red restricted zone.

And that's when the police rolled up and told him to land the drone.

DJI's Geofence system worked as designed to prevent the drone flying over the runways or approach/departure paths, and the InDro Robotics system worked to detect an unauthorized drone flight within the airport's controlled airspace, and the police successfully nabbed the culprit.

And, go figure, all of that was accomplished without forcing every model aircraft across the country to carry a ridiculous remote ID module.

View attachment 166633

View attachment 166634

View attachment 166635

So clearly not a case of "the drone Pilot was completely unaware of the rules of his flying his drone".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J