DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LANNC Help

Thanks! As I continue to look into it the issue becomes more complex. The DJI Flysafe map shows the area I was in as outside the warning zone and well outside of the authorization zone. (NW 21st St. & Rt 1 north of Stuart) Yet Airmap and Kittyhawk show it as Class D airspace "Low Altitude only". Perhaps that's why LAANC is stated as unavailable as it is not necessary? As I recall DJI Fly made me acknowledge I was in a Class D airspace but let me fly. Seems a bit of a contradiction.

Thanks! As I continue to look into it the issue becomes more complex. The DJI Flysafe map shows the area I was in as outside the warning zone and well outside of the authorization zone. (NW 21st St. & Rt 1 north of Stuart) Yet Airmap and Kittyhawk show it as Class D airspace "Low Altitude only". Perhaps that's why LAANC is stated as unavailable as it is not necessary? As I recall DJI Fly made me acknowledge I was in a Class D airspace but let me fly. Seems a bit of a contradiction.
DJI Go 4 is not an acceptable tool and was never meant to aid you in determining where it is legal to fly without authorization.

This is one of the complaints about DJI’s fly safe program because it doesn’t take local or national regulations into consideration what so ever. DJI Go’s “authorization” zones are zones that you need authorization from DJI to fly there, not from regulators. DJI’s no-fly and authorization zones are just areas DJI feels are unsafe to fly, that’s all. Likely just some algorithm based on proximity and flight path of any given airport.

AirMap and Kittyhawk are LAANC providers certified by the FAA to help coordinate authorizations on the FAA’s behalf. These are the tools you need to use to determine where you can legally fly, where you cannot legally fly, and where you need authorization from the FAA to fly.

There are places where you may need both authorization from the FAA to be legal AND authorization from DJI to unlock your drone so it will take off.

There are places where you need authorization from the FAA but doesn’t require authorization from DJI. This is the most common situation and the one you find in your specific case.

There are some areas that require DJI authorization to unlock the drone to fly but don’t require FAA authorization to be legal. These are rarer than the other two but do occur especially DJI’s “enhanced warning areas” which are typically in the direct flight path of a major runway but for the most part this is just a matter of checking a box in the app.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S