DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Largest Picture Print

3c92854a782d8990a4f1fae3ba135056.jpg

All very interesting information here . Why can I add ? Well if u use raw and aeb manual mode ( keep iso at 100 and shutter as fast as possible to have the sharpest image possible ) U will end up with 5 raw pictures. Take the same process and shoot the same thing 5 times ( totally of 25 photos) bring to a Photoshop and use Mean mode in order to bring iso down to 50 and increase sharpness to its limit, then u can get easily a a3 or a2 print size .yes it is a long process but remember that print is not digital

Great photo clarity.

Reactions: strademarkworld
Great photo clarity.
I just posted a print version of the same ones . A3 size came out great at 20cm distance . Next step I will try a panorama +aeb+5 times exposure . Long process but I believe I could achieve a a2 size print with great results.

So I printed my photo 45 x 65 cm (17 x 25') with ~125 dpi it looks good. However is missing a bit of sharpness when looking up close because of the lower dpi. I had the file enlarged by the printing company and when I asked they said they were using Lightroom. So I guess that's the way to go.

Printed Image

View attachment 4227
I copied before it went away Remember this is a chart. Just a reference. So chart haters please relax ; )

Nice chart!
I used to print lots of photos from digital files and I noticed I needed about 20MB for a really sharp 8X10 that was going to be printed at 300 dpi.
If it's only going to be shown on a screen you may only need a fraction of that depending on the system. PC's are about 72 or 75 dpi (I forget exactly). Macs are like 95 dpi.
I printed literally hundreds of these and they had to look very sharp so I came up with my own formula which you may or may not agree with but I can tell you the prints were sharp.
Using my example above:
8X10 print at 20MB looks great
8X10 = 80 square inches
80 square inches divided by 20 (20MB file size) = 4
My theory became 'Desired photo size in square inches divided by 4 = required file size in MB to produce a print that's about as sharp as you are able to get from that file size.

To simplify

The maximum photo size you can make from a given file is 1/4 of the area of the photo.

Where
Photo size is in inches
Area is length x width of the photo
File size is in MB

Using my example
Photo Size----------File Size MB
5X7-------------------------9
8X10----------------------20
11X14-------------------132
16X20-------------------320
20X24-------------------480

I'm sure a lot will disagree and the question may become "if 20MB is good why why won't 18MB or 15MB work?"

All I can say is I was testing digital cameras when they first came out in the 80's or so and professional photographers like myself wanted to know if it was worth spending around $20K~$25K for a Kodak ~8MB digital camera. When we figured that best you could get out of that was around a 5X7 before it started coming apart we decided to wait. Yes that's how much the first DSLR cost.

I've probably bored a lot of you already but if you're interested the jpg file type is not a very good type if sharp detail is wanted. Not only does it discard important detail in the interest of a smaller file size (which it does do excellent-ly) it gets a little fuzzier every time you re-save the same file as a jpg. It's best to start with raw, which are usually very large files, until you are finished editing.

Last edited:
View attachment 15849 I just printed a Mavic Pro photo from a RAW image at 11x14 and it came out spectacularly. I did, however, process it in photoshop and used an icc profile from my printing company which made all the difference. I agree that someone should program an app that shoots multiple images for sticking, not by turning the gimble but repositioning the drone. That would be awesome! Litchi?...View attachment 15850

That's beautiful. Do you mind if I ask what is the file size?

View attachment 4227
I copied before it went away Remember this is a chart. Just a reference. So chart haters please relax ; )

I looked at that CHART above
The Chart does not say specifically whether its the RAW size or JPG.
By looking at the CHart THOSE are RAW Sizes-

My experience shows that...
If You have your images stored as JPEG or JPG then typically 20% of the RAW Size in the List would apply - (then the chart is accurate)
ie 18Mbytes RAW - may translate to 3.5 Mb JPG ...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore