DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Las Vegas strip

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm more curios to know if folks actually take action when they encounter these issues, rather than point fingers and act like they are the law.

Pointing fingers here is not like they are the law. It's really just pointing out how to fly lawfully and with consideration. It would be more like acting like the law to actually walk up to someone who is flying dangerously and quoting the law to them.

Not that much of a picture to be taking the risk for. MGM and Ceasars run most of the aeroscope coverage privately, they do share that data with mccarran and metro...

as long as no trouble was made nothing will happen, but your email and drone serial are on the radar now, should your drone pop up again and there is an issue, your profile has a history now thats for sure

I am going to show this video to the local FSDO in Las Vegas. They will have the evidence via your posting here. I too, am a retired airline pilot and have flown in to this airport many times and for you to think it is funny and make the statement "what are you going to do about it" , well sir you are going to find out.

Thanks Nikalo. You are saving me the trouble. I was going to report him too. You may also want to alert them to the other of DiscoStu’s videos that was posted yesterday entitled Death Valley posted in photos and videos where he brags about flying in Death Valley after being told not to by a ranger.

I came across a dude at Grand Canyon operating a drone near the visitors center. I told him that drone use was not allowed in the Canyon. He said he had a permit, which I knew was a lie. I stepped aside, pulled out my phone, and he immediately recovered his drone and ran.

There was another guy doing the same thing and a ranger approached him. He claimed ignorance and then recovered his drone.

Do you really want action to be taken beyond self policing? Approaching someone and reminding them of the rules might be a buzz kill but if you have any hopes of holding on to some remaining freedom with these things, you do yourself and others a favor. I can assure the FAA is NOT done with regulating them and this will most certainly get passed down to local law enforcement. Education will increase and the next time you are zipping along the Las Vegas skyline, you might be approached, your drone confiscated, and you get fined or worse. The sUAS is coming under more scrutiny and we can choose sides now...but you know you will not win if you choose the side of reckless use.

For me, it is simply not worth it. I am not sure if they can take certificate action against me (ATP rated pilot), but if they did, it would have a seriously negative impact on my career.

I'm more curios to know if folks actually take action when they encounter these issues, rather than point fingers and act like they are the law. I'm not sure where you are from but I witness more drone activity just about every event I attend around the "big city". In fact, I was just in Vegas and was surprised to see drones flying around the strip. I know it's not right but people are getting away with it anyway. Nobody's doing anything about it.

Challenge Pilot -

I am not one who drops a dime on people as a rule, but when you have people like DiscoStu bragging about what he has done and challenging people to take action, clearly this is a guy who is not going to take a gentle "hey, you shouldn't be doing that," to heart. I can't see him doing anything but continuing to violate the rules and cause problems for the rest of us. I also fly radio control airplanes and heli's (in addition to holding a private pilot certificate) and for years that hobby has been self-regulating but then we followed the rules so there were not a lot of problems. With the growing popularity of drones you are going to have your share of bad eggs like Stu who caused Congress to want to take action - how many stories of drone strikes and near misses, and people landing drones on the White House lawn did it take to cause the new restrictions in the FAA reauthorization act.

Reactions: Drgnfli
I am going to show this video to the local FSDO in Las Vegas. They will have the evidence via your posting here. I too, am a retired airline pilot and have flown in to this airport many times and for you to think it is funny and make the statement "what are you going to do about it" , well sir you are going to find out.
Wow... your mommy will be proud.

A lot of people here who have never broken the speed limit or done anything else outside the law, good for ya'all. And BTW the shot isn't very good at all considering the quality picture our birds can take.

All right guys lets chill in this before I have to get in this again . Nothing positive to add move on.
Plenty of debate threads going on so get in one of those.

I came across a dude at Grand Canyon operating a drone near the visitors center. I told him that drone use was not allowed in the Canyon. He said he had a permit, which I knew was a lie. I stepped aside, pulled out my phone, and he immediately recovered his drone and ran.

There was another guy doing the same thing and a ranger approached him. He claimed ignorance and then recovered his drone.

Do you really want action to be taken beyond self policing? Approaching someone and reminding them of the rules might be a buzz kill but if you have any hopes of holding on to some remaining freedom with these things, you do yourself and others a favor. I can assure the FAA is NOT done with regulating them and this will most certainly get passed down to local law enforcement. Education will increase and the next time you are zipping along the Las Vegas skyline, you might be approached, your drone confiscated, and you get fined or worse. The sUAS is coming under more scrutiny and we can choose sides now...but you know you will not win if you choose the side of reckless use.

For me, it is simply not worth it. I am not sure if they can take certificate action against me (ATP rated pilot), but if they did, it would have a seriously negative impact on my career.

You can’t fly over the Grand Canyon?

You can’t fly over the Grand Canyon?
Amen brother, I too am ATP rated with several type ratings and although I am retired I will not do anything like the dufus did in Las Vegas and fly down the strip and not only brag about it, but ask "what are you going to do about it". He has been turned over to the local FSDO there along with his posting and video. Nothing may never come of it but if enough pilots report him then maybe the FEDS will act on it.

Wow... your mommy will be proud.
Well sir my mother has passed on the heaven above and yes, she would be proud of me for doing the right thing, what about you is your mommy proud of you for making sport of someone doing what should be done?

As a pilot who flies in and out of McCarren, I would ask politely, that you not fly a drone anywhere near that or any other airport without permission. You are putting me and countless others at risk. It is this exact behavior that will get these things regulated out of existence. In most cases, call the tower, tell them where you are and what you are doing, and if it will not interfere, you should be good to go. Don't be that guy.
I don’t get everyone’s obsession with flying in areas you are not allowed. It’s you people that ruin it for the rest of us that follow the rules!

I've reported it to the OP. This ignorant fool doesn't respect the rules and common sense that allows us to legally operate as drone pilots.

OK I have posted in this thread 3 times now and will not no more .
Unknown-1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidwujr