DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Laser question

I will be using my faa label, never had to before... I hope it stays on at least a year and can be removed easily and cleanly. I will eventually trade or sell my MA2. Does anyone have an opinion about FAA issued labels?

I will be using my faa label, never had to before... I hope it stays on at least a year and can be removed easily and cleanly. I will eventually trade or sell my MA2. Does anyone have an opinion about FAA issued labels?
I just use a Brother P Touch labeler and it works great. Mine are black on white, but you can get many different colors and they even have a black on clear label cartridge so you only see the numbers. Mine have been on a couple of years and still look great. I never got any labels from the FAA so don't know about those. I would think you could remove any leftover glue with some goo-gone on a towel. It's citrus based and seems to be real easy on surfaces, and yet removes the glue very quickly.

Reactions: Marcass Carcass
I use a Brother P-Tape hand printer.
Any size and type desired, remove backing and adhere to drone, works for me.

I just use a Brother P Touch labeler and it works great. Mine are black on white, but you can get many different colors and they even have a black on clear label cartridge so you only see the numbers. Mine have been on a couple of years and still look great.

As with any material for lasering (a long time laser engraver) - check the MSDS DJI uses. If any of it is polyvinyl - no right minded laser engraver would touch it - due to "Chlorine Gas" being released by the process. That is one material that can kill both the engraver and machine.
Thanks. It's good to have someone with pro experience to weigh in. I appreciate it. I'm going with he printed stickers.

The FAA doesn't issue labels. There are private enterprises that issue labels sold on websites that seem to look a bit like they might be a government site. They may even take your registration info and forward it to the FAA.

The FAA does allow you to download a .PDF file that can be printed out to make a sort of registration card, but the printing is up to you.

Note: US government website URLs end in ".gov".

Reactions: Thomas B
Label printers are notoriously expensive and inefficient in the long run. Why complicate things when you can just write/print your registration# and phone# on a piece of paper and scotch tape it to the side of the drone? Simple and effective.

Reactions: Marcass Carcass
I was playing with the idea of engraving my FAA# on my drones. I just don't know if that "engraving" or disruption into the plastic would cause a change in flight characteristics OR if the actually engraving process would somehow transmit damage to the drone. Has anyone tried this?
Thanks.
You would never be able to sell the drone, if you upgraded. I use a simple Brother label make.

IMO - a laser engraving requires the surface to be level to the path of the beam focus. taking it to someone to mark for you requires they be capable of holding the drone properly and experience. choose wisely.

type out that FCC number using Veranda type set and 12 pt. size, print it from your printer, cut it out from the paper, apply 2.3" of Scotch tape, while pressing on a hard non stick surface, release the tape from that surface, then apply to the drone area for recognition from alien sources. lol.

I would use decals. My wife has a machine and they stay well once applied. I wouldn't engrave the plastic. Seems like a bad idea to me.

Reactions: Josiah S
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki