DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Laser question

AVLJMA

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I was playing with the idea of engraving my FAA# on my drones. I just don't know if that "engraving" or disruption into the plastic would cause a change in flight characteristics OR if the actually engraving process would somehow transmit damage to the drone. Has anyone tried this?
Thanks.

If the power is set appropriately, laser engraving should just barely etch the surface, and should have less effect on aerodynamics than a sticker would. Our drones don't go too fast, so small changes in aerodynamics on the body aren't usually significant.

If the power is set too high, it could go through the plastic and damage internal components. Don't do that.

Test on a similar piece of plastic before etching the drone. Personally, I've just written registration numbers using a Sharpie marker.

You could also use a hand engraver, cheap and battery powered. Looks like a pen. Just another option.

Reactions: Dur8an Poison
I was playing with the idea of engraving my FAA# on my drones. I just don't know if that "engraving" or disruption into the plastic would cause a change in flight characteristics OR if the actually engraving process would somehow transmit damage to the drone. Has anyone tried this?
Thanks.
This is a bad idea as when you go to sell it, , the best thing to use is the Dynamo , $12 bucks and you can get some nice clean labels out of them. Any color and they have a very thin Profile,

This is a bad idea as when you go to sell it, , the best thing to use is the Dynamo , $12 bucks and you can get some nice clean labels out of them. Any color and they have a very thin Profile,
I did order from Dynamo. A nice product. The FAA# and a phone number sticker. I am currently using that. Perhaps I should stop while I'm ahead.

Thanks.
advise against permanent markings. When/if you sell/trade it could be a detriment.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Laser equipped drone? I like that idea. I am sure that #oldmanmavic or #thecyborg or #dirkclod have already, secretly accomplished that task.
Rumor has it that #oldmanmavic can split an atom by just using random items he finds around his home.

Reactions: Akward59 and JackL
Phasers ready Captain Kirk.

I use printed reg numbers on paper, then place clear box tape over the paper leaving enough tape on the edges to adhere to the drone. Looks decent and it's water proof.

Just for an idea. I just right the number on a piece of small paper and then put tape over it and tape it to the drone. It works good and you can easily take it off if need be.

Thanks.

As with any material for lasering (a long time laser engraver) - check the MSDS DJI uses. If any of it is polyvinyl - no right minded laser engraver would touch it - due to "Chlorine Gas" being released by the process. That is one material that can kill both the engraver and machine.

Just for an idea. I just right the number on a piece of small paper and then put tape over it and tape it to the drone. It works good and you can easily take it off if need be.
I do the same thing, just use a printed number instead.

Reactions: Josiah S
As with any material for lasering (a long time laser engraver) - check the MSDS DJI uses. If any of it is polyvinyl - no right minded laser engraver would touch it - due to "Chlorine Gas" being released by the process. That is one material that can kill both the engraver and machine.
How much engraving are you talking about? Wouldn't that require a significant amount of surface area to be engraved to actually cause harm to the laser engraver. I guess if you do it for a living, that's a different story. Similar to radiation technicians.

Thanks.
I'm sure it would not hurt the AC or affect performance at all. Although I have to question the effect if wanted to ever sell it at some point. A label satisfies the requirements and is easily removable in case you decide to upgrade or anything. Just a thought...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21