Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spray Can attachment

shaaki

Reactions
Hey guys
I am looking to attach a spray Can with drone,
Didn't buy a drone yet as well.

But i need to drone with spray Can attachment for my construction company. This will be only to mark the spots and also attach distance laser meter.

Does anyone know if it is a good idea?

Thanks

Reactions: LoudThunder
The air current the props would generate probably would prevent you from doing that. plus the fact that it would probably last one application maybe a few. before the whole thing took a DD, or you would be flying blind. If your paint is flammable thats another problem because unless: it is there to power the aircraft. You cannot carry flammables on a Remote controlled aircraft. I would like to see a pic of the before and after though- the laser thing might work but it really doesn't sound practical

First , the Spray can idea is most likely not feasable however the laser is.

There is Company that we use with our lights that has the Built in laser system that should work for you as well as a Drop Release that you might be able to make use of.

As far as the Spray Can , the problem is not the Props as you could use our Rescue Jacket to protect the Can however , I can think of no way to actully trigger a Spray with any of the Mavic Series Drones.

You might have to consider something like this :

DJI Agras T40​

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

...and also attach distance laser meter...
Not sure what your budget is, but I believe the DJI M30 and M30T have some sort of range scanner that I believe would be more accurate than simply attaching it to the drone. However, those drones cost around $10k-$14k so that might be outside of your budget.
...But i need to drone with spray Can attachment for my construction company...
As noted in a previous comment, the greatest issue would be the propeller wash blowing the paint either down if mounted underneath the drone (which I don't see how that could be done efficiently) or would be sucked into the propellers if mounted on top. You might be able to get around that with some sort of extension system to get the can to extend in front of the drone. However, I think the can would already be pretty heavy for a smaller drone to lift (by smaller, I mean Mavic 3, Air 2S, etc), and the added weight would simply ruin it. BUT, if you want to spend big bucks if the project is worth that much to you for some reason, an M300 or another heavy-lift-capable drone should do the trick. I don't know of any rigs that you can purchase to accomplish this, so it might have to be designed from scratch. Personally, I wouldn't want to be spraying stuff around a drone of that size and price, and certainly not while it's in flight. But that's just me. Also, I'm not sure as to the legality as the drone will be flying with flammable substances, as that is pretty much prohibited. I do seem to recall a video in the past of a drone that had a flamethrower of some sort attached and was used to spray a wasp/hornet nest. Not sure if that could be rigged with paint in order to accomplish what you wanted, but again, I'd think it would be pretty expensive. I'm not sure what your budget is, but I've learned that you can pretty much do anything that's legal. The real question lies in whether you can afford it. ;)

You could put together a switch that works with your payload light sort of like the payload droppers use, solder this to a electronic bottle opener part, or a rc landing gear switch that accepts those little bb gun air bottles, then take a cheap gravity feed airbrush , hook a simple push switch to trigger of the airbrush and now take the hose from the brush and connect it to a small jar of piant, and a hose from the paint jar to the gear or bottle trigger. lastly solder the switch airbrush apparatus to light sensor-bottle switch thingy Bobs your uncle!

You could put together a switch that works with your payload light sort of like the payload droppers use, solder this to a electronic bottle opener part, or a rc landing gear switch that accepts those little bb gun air bottles, then take a cheap gravity feed airbrush , hook a simple push switch to trigger of the airbrush and now take the hose from the brush and connect it to a small jar of piant, and a hose from the paint jar to the gear or bottle trigger. lastly solder the switch airbrush apparatus to light sensor-bottle switch thingy Bobs your uncle!
It sounds like quite a contraption! Honestly, I don't understand a lot of it, but after attaching all of that, would it still be liftable on one of the more consumer-level drones? I mean, if you're going to have to buy a 10k drone to be able to lift all of that, that probably wouldn't make sense. It might be easier to use a ladder to mark the locations if that's possible. A drone could still be used as a laser range finder. I'm sure there are third-party applications for that that could be attached to an Air 2 or maybe even a Mini 2. Honestly, I think it would be useful to know the author's budget.

As @Phantomrain.org suggested, the DJI Agras T40 might be what you're looking for, but it seems quite expensive for just marking out points. If the areas needing spraying are unreachable, then it might be practical, depending on how important this spraying is to the company. Also, I forgot to mention in my previous message that I believe you'll need your Part 107 for this, as it's not recreational flying.

I think it would weigh twice as much than a payload dropper depending on the size jar you used. hobby sized jar and a cheap airbrush and probably the RC gear actuator would be within a Mavics lifting capacity probably around 250 bucks
maybe three.
Just remember this is from the same mind that brought you the drone bartender 😱

What you really need is not a spray aerosol, but some form of 'squirt / spirt' type of paint application unit.
Maybe the Agras drone, with its spray system, utilise a much smaller tank (or insert in main) and the spray heads set up suitably ?

Perhaps all but one spray head blocked off, the main one positioned appropriately, orafice drilled out to make it squirt directly down.

An older smaller 2nd hand Agras drone T10 (10lt), must be some around / available on the market now there are much larger models out there.

Hey guys
I am looking to attach a spray Can with drone,
Didn't buy a drone yet as well.

But i need to drone with spray Can attachment for my construction company. This will be only to mark the spots and also attach distance laser meter.

Does anyone know if it is a good idea?

Thanks
Buy a drone with the laser rangefinder, job done.

Attachments

• IMG_4642.jpeg
    IMG_4642.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 13
I assumed this was a belated April fools post. Maybe I was wrong.

• Haha
Drifting a bit off Op topic but….I don’t know much about window cleaning except that just spraying water on it would only do half the job (Squeegee & wipe are needed). Also anyone with experience flying around tall buildings should know the hazards of wind circulation around & over tall buildings. Getting a skilled Operator for this expensive equipment (including the required insurance & benefits) for $240, who are they kidding?

Don't even think of Dropping something or Especially using a paintball device ( big Heck no from The F.A.A. ) Many of the A.M.A. ( Remote Control Aircraft ) Flying fields around here have tried to get permission from the F.A.A. to fire paintballs at each other via remote control or have dogfights and shoot at each Other. Every time the F.A.A. has told them Basically "Don't even try it". One of these flying fields is way out in Mojave nobody around for 20 miles and they still said No Way.
And the biggest thing that kills the Idea is that you will be spraying a chemical from an Aircraft requiring God knows how many permits from the E.P.A.-F.A.A. -F.B.I. you see where this is going.....

Last edited:
Don't even think of Dropping something or Especially using a paintball device ( big Heck no from The F.A.A. ) Many of the A.M.A. ( Remote Control Aircraft ) Flying fields around here have tried to get permission from the F.A.A. to fire paintballs at each other via remote control or have dogfights and shoot at each Other. Every time the F.A.A. has told them Basically "Don't even try it". One of these flying fields is way out in Mojave nobody around for 20 miles and they still said No Way.
And the biggest thing that kills the Idea is that you will be spraying a chemical from an Aircraft requiring God knows how many permits from the E.P.A.-F.A.A. -F.B.I. you see where this is going.....
You'd think with all the chemicals Agricultural drones spray on crops, that a few paintballs would be ok'd by the FAA. But I can see why they wouldn't want to open that potential can of worms...lol.

A paintball gun would solve the paint getting into the props or backwashing all over your drone but I'm certain the FAA would frown on such a thing.
You'd think with all the chemicals Agricultural drones spray on crops, that a few paintballs would be ok'd by the FAA. But I can see why they wouldn't want to open that potential can of worms...lol.

A paintball gun would be a great idea for practicality, lower cost (muuucch smaller drone + other benefits), but yeah I looked it up for here in Australia, probably the same in the US ???

Are paintball pistols legal in Australia?
Paintball Shooters Licence. Paintball Guns or Paintball Markers are a firearm in Australia. To buy a Paintball Gun or Paintball Marker you must have a PTA (permit to acquire) or your relevant state equivalent. Remember to obtain a shooters licence you must have completed and passed a firearms safety course.

But, it still might be possible to make a paintball marking system, let me explain . . .

They make paintball pistols.

Strip down the stuff that makes it look like a gun, set up in retro type fab frame, like a 'naked' paintball pistol.
Thinking how they do this for GoPros on FPV drones, strip away to outer unneeded casings, the call them 'naked GoPros'.

Or, there might be some sort of Co2 apparatus one could make a 'one shot' device that takes a paintball.
Obviously a pistol type capacity setup could fire who knows how many paintballs on a flight, so maybe a better way to go for the OP if marking numerous spots on a flight.

I was surprised to learn that the Payload droppers where a touchy subject with the F.A.A. Companies sell them, and I have a couple as do a lot of people. BUT as far as if they are actually legal can open up a whole debate at a F.A.A. safety meeting.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_