DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thoughts on Drone Ban Bill

Yondu

Reactions
With the recent Drone Ban in the US, do you guys know what will actually happen? Does anyone have contacts in the government or the FAA that know how the government will actually respond?
I'm curious if they'll somehow try and prevent drones from taking off or just stop the sale of new drones or something else.
I'm overall surprised that on Amazon they are still selling DJI drones (though it seems like there have been some heavy discounts).

• Haha
Reactions: gogorokokoko
I'm overall surprised that on Amazon they are still selling DJI drones
What seems so surprising about that? There is no drone ban, so it's business as usual.

What seems so surprising about that? There is no drone ban, so it's business as usual.
Ah after futher research I realized I was confusing H.R. 2864 Counterinc ccp drone act and the one that was passed, American Security Drone Act of 2023.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, this deals with the government use or procurement. Still not banning for recreational use or Part 107 as long as Federal, or in the case of Florida(Thank you Gov DeSantis) using state funds to operate or procure.. Could actually work out for us as it could add business to do government jobs by local drone operators to replace the government offices. Maybe even local law enforcement might use us until they can come up with the 10's to 100's of thousands of dollars to replace their current drone inventories.

Reactions: Zeprider and Yondu
Even if there is a "drone ban" I have faith in the drone community that we shift gears and take a page from the activist's handbook and mount a series of legal challenges (at least on behalf of recreational drone flyers) that would push back or fight back and likely include some sort of injunction based on the catastrophic impact this would cause.

Reactions: Yondu
.... Could actually work out for us as it could add business to do government jobs by local drone operators to replace the government offices. Maybe even local law enforcement might use us until they can come up with the 10's to 100's of thousands of dollars to replace their current drone inventories.

I would NOT count on that in the least. Flying a drone for Emergency Services (EMS, LEO, SWAT, etc) is not what "most of us" are skilled at high stress and highly technical flying. Huge difference between "Taking pretty pictures" and gathering the very specific DATA that these agencies are needing.

I'll go on record and say this, Emergency Services UAS Operations is a horrible business model.

I would NOT count on that in the least. Flying a drone for Emergency Services (EMS, LEO, SWAT, etc) is not what "most of us" are skilled at high stress and highly technical flying. Huge difference between "Taking pretty pictures" and gathering the very specific DATA that these agencies are needing.

I'll go on record and say this, Emergency Services UAS Operations is a horrible business model.
Plus...."oh, you have a DJI drone? you can't do any work for the government...sorry"

Reactions: JBurghart and Yondu
99% of drones are made in china,iphones are made in china,android phones are made in china,last night i bought bag of plastic easter eggs filled with candy’s,on bag it says”product of china”……in my opinion its just bunch of useless politicians acting like they are concerned about safety of this country 👎

With the recent Drone Ban in the US, do you guys know what will actually happen? Does anyone have contacts in the government or the FAA that know how the government will actually respond?
I'm curious if they'll somehow try and prevent drones from taking off or just stop the sale of new drones or something else.
I'm overall surprised that on Amazon they are still selling DJI drones (though it seems like there have been some heavy discounts).
Drone Ban in the U.S? I haven't heard anything about that.

Reactions: rickmurray1989
99% of drones are made in china,iphones are made in china,android phones are made in china,last night i bought bag of plastic easter eggs filled with candy’s,on bag it says”product of china”……in my opinion its just bunch of useless politicians acting like they are concerned about safety of this country 👎
I have to agree. Most drones are made in China. With other drones, Chinese parts are shipped into the usa and then the drone is put together in the USA. This is how they can say made in USA. Autel does this. Autel takes chinese parts and builds the majority of their drone in the USA, That's way they can claim "made in USA", and are left alone by government. At least that's what I heard through the grape vine. The government is also after DJI because they control a significant majority of the market. Maybe it's their way to support USA drone manufacturing.

I have to agree. Most drones are made in China. With other drones, Chinese parts are shipped into the usa and then the drone is put together in the USA. This is how they can say made in USA. Autel does this. Autel takes chinese parts and builds the majority of their drone in the USA, That's way they can claim "made in USA", and are left alone by government. At least that's what I heard through the grape vine. The government is also after DJI because they control a significant majority of the market. Maybe it's their way to support USA drone manufacturing.
Autel does not claim their drones are made in the USA, it's says "Made in China" right on the box. The rules have changed about making those claims, please check and get up to date on what you can and cannot claim. Autel probably says the are a US company and perhaps their drones are assembled in the US but that hasn't stopped the US government from targeting them as a chinese drone maker. I'm not the biggest fan of our government but they don't target DJI because they "control" the market.

Autel does not claim their drones are made in the USA, it's says "Made in China" right on the box. The rules have changed about making those claims, please check and get up to date on what you can and cannot claim. Autel probably says the are a US company and perhaps their drones are assembled in the US but that hasn't stopped the US government from targeting them as a chinese drone maker. I'm not the biggest fan of our government but they don't target DJI because they "control" the market.
Have they targeted Autel? If not, why do you think they have left autel alone?

Have they targeted Autel? If not, why do you think they have left autel alone?

I don't think you absorbed what @mavic3usa said. Here is the quote from his post directly before yours:

"Autel probably says the are a US company and perhaps their drones are assembled in the US but that hasn't stopped the US government from targeting them as a chinese drone maker."

I don't think you absorbed what @mavic3usa said. Here is the quote from his post directly before yours:

"Autel probably says the are a US company and perhaps their drones are assembled in the US but that hasn't stopped the US government from targeting them as a chinese drone maker."
Here is a good excerpt from UAV Coach Regarding the New Law.

Here are the broad strokes:

• Starting December 2025, the government is prohibited from using federal funds to purchase drones made in China, Russia, Iran, and North Korea OR drones that use certain components* made in those countries.
  • Also starting December 2025, the government is prohibited from operating drones made in those countries.
  • The ban is in place through December 2028.
*These components are called “associated elements” in the law, and include elements related to the collection and transmission of sensitive information that enable the operator to operate the aircraft in the National Airspace System (NAS).

There is no drone ban.

There is no state ban, commercial ban, or recreational ban. The ban only pertains to certain federal government agencies. Is that what you mean?
States can prohibit state and local agencies from buying and/or using DJI drones.
Federal can prohibit federal government agency from buying and/or using DJI drones and to a certain degree, they can influence and impact state and local agencies as well.
Only the US government can prohibit the public from operating DJI drones in the US airspace but so far this has not happened. Depending on how it is worded, this would be called a "ban" although it is unlikely to prohibit buying or owning or possessing a DJI drone.
As of now, there is no ban. The American people don't consider government agencies telling each other what to do and what not to do, and fighting among themselves....a ban; we call it nonsense but they do it all the time.

Unfortunately, we aren't doing much to prevent a future ban because we aren't taking it seriously. We say there is no evidence which is a weak argument; just because we have no evidence doesn't mean it doesn't exist somewhere or it can't be manufactured. Ultimately we'll get banned one day and then we'll spend the rest of our years trying to get unbanned because we act like this is the first time the government has done something ridiculous like this. We believe we have the truth and the facts on our side and common sense will prevail and that will save us. Slowly but surely the count gets closer to 50 states taking adverse actions and literally thousands of local agencies including cities and counties and regulatory agencies and even home owners associations. Every week another group proposes another law and if it fails, they propose another one. They are coming for us with both barrels and they're going to eat our lunch because we're not ready where we need to be, in the courtrooms not in the legislature (which is a lost cause). All it will take is one incident with China and you won't even be able to speak up on behalf of the hobby.

Fly freely now and enjoy while you still can. o_O

Reactions: StevenBrodsky
States can prohibit state and local agencies from buying and/or using DJI drones.
Federal can prohibit federal government agency from buying and/or using DJI drones and to a certain degree, they can influence and impact state and local agencies as well.
Only the US government can prohibit the public from operating DJI drones in the US airspace but so far this has not happened. Depending on how it is worded, this would be called a "ban" although it is unlikely to prohibit buying or owning or possessing a DJI drone.
As of now, there is no ban. The American people don't consider government agencies telling each other what to do and what not to do, and fighting among themselves....a ban; we call it nonsense but they do it all the time.

Unfortunately, we aren't doing much to prevent a future ban because we aren't taking it seriously. We say there is no evidence which is a weak argument; just because we have no evidence doesn't mean it doesn't exist somewhere or it can't be manufactured. Ultimately we'll get banned one day and then we'll spend the rest of our years trying to get unbanned because we act like this is the first time the government has done something ridiculous like this. We believe we have the truth and the facts on our side and common sense will prevail and that will save us. Slowly but surely the count gets closer to 50 states taking adverse actions and literally thousands of local agencies including cities and counties and regulatory agencies and even home owners associations. Every week another group proposes another law and if it fails, they propose another one. They are coming for us with both barrels and they're going to eat our lunch because we're not ready where we need to be, in the courtrooms not in the legislature (which is a lost cause). All it will take is one incident with China and you won't even be able to speak up on behalf of the hobby.

Fly freely now and enjoy while you still can. o_O
Better ban all electric cars coming into this country from China. Just think how much information the could gather. Just saying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas