DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI trying to bypass the US Ban of Chinese drones

Yaros

Reactions
Disclaimer: Everything stated below is just personal opinion, and is not by any means an official statement from DJI.
Feel free to discuss and prove me wrong.

So, there is something very strange happening with "DJI" currently. They seem to have been registering US-based companies to sell their drones in the US under another brand.
Recently I spotted the Specta Air drone, which looks exactly like a DJI Air 3, just with the DJI branding removed and replaced with SPECTA. The remote is the same, even runs the DJI Fly app, just with the logos replaced.

1711402176605.png1711402187832.png1711402227151.png

Interesting, to say the least. I'm not sure if it's an agreement with DJI, someone cloning their product, reselling it illegally, or just DJI themselves under another name like mentioned above.
Strangely enough, SPECTA doesn't have any official website, the drone is just spreading through Amazon, and some of the few reviews on the Amazon state that they received the product for free.

I thought that was it, when this morning I spotted in the news another drone, the Anzu Robotics Raptor T, which seems to be a green version of the Mavic 3, literally, the OG Mavic 3 just with the DJI branding removed and slightly in a green color.

1711402376875.png

This one isn't for sale, but has filed for FCC approval and has shown up in the listings.

Okay, what's going on? I want to hear your thoughts on the matter, do you think it's actually DJI under another name, or someone buying their drones, removing all mentions of DJI and reselling them under another brand?

I saw this myself. The person hat originally posted this doesn't think it's to skirt the new regulations. A chinese made drone is a Chinese made drone. If it's got the parts, it's got the parts.

The thing I heard , is that the drones are refurbished drones, trying to be sold as new drones, under a different brand name. The price is a little less than then a new DJI model. About as much less as a refurb would cost.

Reactions: RangerEd
"Just one more thing sir..."
YEP... A Chinese drone is still a Chinese Drone even if you misspell DJI on it.
DJI can easily skirt this ban by selling me a Drone Kit rather than a Drone that is ready to Fly.
Unless the government decides to ban all electronic components from China and in that case they better bring a HUGE Truck to pick up My stuff.

Disclaimer: Everything stated below is just personal opinion, and is not by any means an official statement from DJI.

So, there is something very strange happening with "DJI" currently. They seem to have been registering US-based companies to sell their drones in the US under another brand.
Recently I spotted the Specta Air drone, which looks exactly like a DJI Air 3, just with the DJI branding removed and replaced with SPECTA. The remote is the same, even runs the DJI Fly app, just with the logos replaced.

Interesting, to say the least. I'm not sure if it's an agreement with DJI, someone cloning their product, reselling it illegally, or just DJI themselves under another name like mentioned above.
Strangely enough, SPECTA doesn't have any official website, the drone is just spreading through Amazon, and some of the few reviews on the Amazon state that they received the product for free.

I thought that was it, when this morning I spotted in the news another drone, the Anzu Robotics Raptor T, which seems to be a green version of the Mavic 3, literally, the OG Mavic 3 just with the DJI branding removed and slightly in a green color.

This one isn't for sale, but has filed for FCC approval and has shown up in the listings.

Okay, what's going on? I want to hear your thoughts on the matter, do you think it's actually DJI under another name, or someone buying their drones, removing all mentions of DJI and reselling them under another brand?
SPECTA is not a US based company....available information says it is based in Hong Kong

View attachment 173790View attachment 173791View attachment 173792

View attachment 173794

Interesting read and an interesting ten penn'orth from Geeksvana. It does pose some knotty questions - especially when it seems that there is more than one high-end 'prosumer' drone involved. If the Specta and Raptor T are knock-offs: why would an aggressively litigious company like DJI not have stamped on this snakes neck already? Unless these products (like the Husband re-brand) are officially sanctioned by the original developer, but that poses the next obvious question..... Why the hell would DJI be driven to do that in the first place?
The pricing of the items would suggest that what's being sold may well be refurbished returns, but again..... Why re-brand? especially when the name 'DJI' is synonymous with top quality, reliable drones.
I think this will be worth following through to the "final reveal".

"Just one more thing sir..."
YEP... A Chinese drone is still a Chinese Drone even if you misspell DJI on it.
DJI can easily skirt this ban by selling me a Drone Kit rather than a Drone that is ready to Fly.
Unless the government decides to ban all electronic components from China and in that case they better bring a HUGE Truck to pick up My stuff.
not everyone is capable of building a drone like you. i could barley solder.

does anyone know if specta is selling the "rc-n1" remote (the one with no screen) and if yes, is the specta app available on the google play store?

not everyone is capable of building a drone like you. i could barley solder.
They could easily make them solder free using connectors and then you simply flash the firmware ( just like updating your drones firmware) Using different software- and your off to the races or photo shoot I am sure there would be a wealth of "Build" Videos. ALSO the only thing that makes me capable of building a drone is because I have done it.- You are capable of doing it too! It is actually quite simple really.

Last edited:
They could easily make them solder free using connectors and then you simply flash the firmware ( just like updating your drones firmware) Using different software- and your off to the races or photo shoot I am sure there would be a wealth of "Build" Videos. ALSO the only thing that makes me capable of building a drone is because I have done it.- You are capable of doing it too! It is actually quite simple really.
do you have any tips to help improve my soldering?
also a drone like a mavic can be constructed from scratch, but this will be rather difficult and time consuming. they could make it easier to build but would probably have to compromise on durability and quality. a drone like a mini has smaller parts and is even harder to build from scratch. once again it would be very hard to make a kit that would have the quality of a mini 4 pro, and be sub 250 grams.

Reactions: Cafguy
It would of course be a time consuming and learning experience not gonna deny that
Below is one of the best videos to learn to solder Also Joshua is THE Drone Know-It-All watch his videos and join the fun!

Reactions: Mrprop365
The thing I heard , is that the drones are refurbished drones, trying to be sold as new drones, under a different brand name. The price is a little less than then a new DJI model. About as much less as a refurb would cost.
That would actually make much sense. Didn't think of that!

Makes good Business sense for sure Sell off your huge overstock of drones to a secondary company then you have no warranty worries you just gave that headache to Spectra.

Wait, are they trying to ban all *Chinese" drones or "just" DJI drones?

I saw this myself. The person hat originally posted this doesn't think it's to skirt the new regulations. A chinese made drone is a Chinese made drone. If it's got the parts, it's got the parts.

As the old saying goes ... if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck it's a duck. 😂

do you have any tips to help improve my soldering?
also a drone like a mavic can be constructed from scratch, but this will be rather difficult and time consuming. they could make it easier to build but would probably have to compromise on durability and quality. a drone like a mini has smaller parts and is even harder to build from scratch. once again it would be very hard to make a kit that would have the quality of a mini 4 pro, and be sub 250 grams.
Less solder, more flux. Practice

Less solder, more flux. Practice

What he said, especially practice.

Here's how: Order any random pcb already laid out with tiny pads for SMT components, etc. Destroy that practicing soldering very fine wire to those tiny pads. This will teach you how to solder tiny amounts, without overheating and separating the pad from the fiberglass, and more.

It's a lot cheaper than learning on the solder pads on the motherboard, ESC, etc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas