DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bringing a drone 249g into Nepal

echen2323

Reactions
has anyone had issues with this recently that can comment on it? i will be flying my mini pro 4 into KTM airport and wanting to know the process. i have contact CAAN with no response, frustrated! i have read previous posts of people having no problem getting into the airport without pre-registering or anything like that. not sure if this is still up to date! dont want to get the drone confiscated!

ill mostly be in the Kathmandu area, and maybe Nagarkot. if drones arent allowed in these areas, then i wont fly it, thanks!

Here is what Perplexity has to say:

"The restrictions for flying drones in Kathmandu, Nepal, include the following guidelines:
Restricted Areas: Drone operations are not permitted within five kilometers of the airport, near military barracks, and highly sensitive areas
Flight Rules:
Drones must only be flown during the daytime with good visibility.
Do not fly drones further than 500 meters (1,640 feet).
Do not fly drones over or within 150 meters (492 feet) of any congested area.
Do not fly drones over or within 150 meters (492 feet) of an organized open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons.
Do not fly within 50 meters (164 feet) of any vessel, vehicle, or structure
Authorization:
For drones weighing more than 2 kilograms (4.5 pounds) that fly 400 feet or more above ground level, prior authorization from the Department of Tourism, Ministry of Home Affairs, and the Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal (CAAN) is required.
Drones weighing less than 2 kilograms do not require authorization from CAAN if flown on private property and under 200 feet"

I can also add that drones are prohibited in the national parks and conservation areas, unless you have a special permission. This includes many of the popular trekking routes.

ill mostly be in the Kathmandu area, and maybe Nagarkot. if drones arent allowed in these areas, then i wont fly it, thanks!
Nagarkot is more than 5 km away from the Kathmandu airport, so should be legal to fly there unless there are special restrictions. Ask the tourist office in Kathmandu.

yea i have read all that too but there always seems to be doubletalk/contradictions.

on one hand, i do read this...i have a 249g drone, which suggests no authorization or permit needed?

Authorization:
For drones weighing more than 2 kilograms (4.5 pounds) that fly 400 feet or more above ground level, prior authorization from the Department of Tourism, Ministry of Home Affairs, and the Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal (CAAN) is required.
Drones weighing less than 2 kilograms do not require authorization from CAAN if flown on private property and under 200 feet"

then i read later on...

According to current legislation, registration with the Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal (CAAN) is mandatory for all drone categories to obtain a flying license.

so which is it?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne