DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 4 Pro with Extended Plus batteries is OVER 249g!

SoftDev90

Reactions
EDIT: Ok so this may not be news to everyone, especially if you are in the mini space and seen this with last gens models, but for new drone pilots doing research online, or those of us that fly larger drones in general, we may not be aware of this. I know I wasn't because my main drone is a MA2 and the last mini I had was the OG mini. If it helps at least one person be aware when googling info about the pro 4 before purchasing so they know what needs to be done, or helps a current pilot know that they will need to register it for the larger batteries when adding this awesome piece of kit to their arsenal, I call that a win :) I still stand by the fact though that DJI needs to make this clearly indicated on the fly more combos with the plus batteries so people are not having to scroll to the very bottom of the page to see some greyed out cliff notes that mention it.

Ok, so I don't really see a thread on this and DJI is hiding this info at the bottom of the page. They keep claiming the 249 gram weight of the drone, but on the landing page add a little 1 to the claim. ALL THE WAY AT THE BOTTOM, it states that if you are using the Plus batteries (the ones that give 45 mins of flight) the drone is no longer compliant and under the 249g limit, which means you will NEED to register the drone.

DJI Mini 4 Pro - Mini to the Max - DJI

Here is the landing page and here is a screenshot of the note they added:

1695843346858.png

On the actual product page to buy the drone, they DO NOT clearly indicate that if you buy the plus batteries or fly more combo with those batteries you are going to exceed 249g.

The first mention that the batteries will make the drone exceed the weight on this page, is down in the comparison section hidden in the little circle i popup screen when hovering next to the Max Flight Time:
1695843501130.png

This is ALL the way that the bottom of the page. Right below the FAQ section, you also get the standard notes:
1695843573663.png

To be honest, it looks like a great drone, but to me, DJI has royally F'd up here in not making it VERY CLEAR that the drone will exceed the 249g cut off to those looking to buy. Lets be honest, not everyone is going to sit here and dig through the entire page when buying and this is something that should be in big bold red letters when picking any package that comes with the plus batteries before someone purchases so they understand what they are getting and that they will need to register the drone.

Take it for what you will, I am just passing along the information I have seen, and I did not really see any posts discussing this. Just want to make sure everyone is aware of what they are getting when they are buying these things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque and Jam0ne
Ok, so I don't really see a thread on this and DJI is hiding this info. They keep claiming the 249 gram weight of the drone, but on the landing page add a little 1 to the claim. ALL THE WAY AT THE BOTTOM, it states that if you are using the Plus batteries (the ones that give 45 mins of flight) the drone is no longer compliant and under the 249g limit, which means you will NEED to register the drone.

View attachment 168674

On the actual product page to buy the drone, they DO NOT clearly indicate that if you buy the plus batteries or fly more combo with those batteries you are going to exceed 249g.

The first mention that the batteries will make the drone exceed the weight on this page, is down in the comparison section hidden in the little circle i popup screen when hovering next to the Max Flight Time:
View attachment 168675

This is ALL the way that the bottom of the page. Right below the FAQ section, you also get the standard notes:
View attachment 168676

To be honest, it looks like a great drone, but to me, DJI has royally F'd up here in not making it VERY CLEAR that the drone will exceed the 249g cut off to those looking to buy. Lets be honest, not everyone is going to sit here and dig through the entire page when buying and this is something that should be in big bold red letters when picking any package that comes with the plus batteries before someone purchases so they understand what they are getting and that they will need to register the drone.

Take it for what you will, I am just passing along the information I have seen, and I did not really see any posts discussing this. Just want to make sure everyone is aware of what they are getting when they are buying these things.
This is not news. This is why DJI offers two sizes of batteries with their mini drones, starting with the Mini 3 Pro.
One battery, a bit lighter, allows you to stay below the weight limit without registration being required, and the other heavier battery takes you beyond the 250 gram weight limit and means you have to register your drone.

Quite genius of DJI in my opinion.

I think I might have answered this with my opinion in another thread:

All drones need to be registered unless you can figure out if you qualify for an exception. If you look at it this way, it's much easier to understand the rationale. Buy the lightweight battery if you are interested in such exception. If not, register your drone.

This is not news. This is why DJI offers two sizes of batteries with their mini drones, starting with the Mini 3 Pro.
One battery, a bit lighter, allows you to stay below the weight limit without registration being required, and the other heavier battery takes you beyond the 250 gram weight limit and means you have to register your drone.

Quite genius of DJI in my opinion.
I havent had a mini since the original version, went to go look at the price and considering buying one and only happened upon the information. For those that are not in the mini space, or first time drone buyers, this could be useful information for them. I primarily use my MA2, so I was not aware they did this with the Pro 3. I still think they should very clearly state the weight issue on the flymore combos when picking one with the plus batteries, because the way it read to me, without reading the fine print, was that it was still under the 249g. While it might be common knowledge for those that own these style of drones, or seen it last time with the previous model, does not mean that everyone is going to know that so I wanted to put out a little PSA in case someone didn't know :)

You can use the standard Mini 3/Pro batteries in the Mini 4 Pro. But that wil also put you over the 249 grams. The 4 battery is several grams lighter than the 3 battery, but also has higher capacity.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-25 1.36.30 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-25 1.36.30 PM.png
    89 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot 2023-09-26 7.53.41 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-26 7.53.41 AM.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 11
I think i'll also mention, that usually most review YouTube video's, if not all, when reviewing the Mini 3 or 4 drone note this fact about the battery weight from the standard to extended changing the drone's weight status from the "249" grams to about 290 grams.

as noted, if you register your drone, the weight issue is not a problem.

Ok, so I don't really see a thread on this and DJI is hiding this info. They keep claiming the 249 gram weight of the drone, but on the landing page add a little 1 to the claim. ALL THE WAY AT THE BOTTOM, it states that if you are using the Plus batteries (the ones that give 45 mins of flight) the drone is no longer compliant and under the 249g limit, which means you will NEED to register the drone.

View attachment 168674

View attachment 168675

View attachment 168676

It has been well documented here on the forum like with the Mini 3 Pro batteries. Nothing has changed in regards to that matter.
This from the Mini 4 Pro User Manual------>
mini4battw.jpg

So here's a problem I had not thought about until lately since the Mini 4 Pro launch.

This big cluster called RID, we have a bunch and I mean hundreds of thousands of Mini 3 and Mini 4 drones that are broadcasting but undoubtedly go unregistered....for whatever reason.

See a drone, snag the numbers, no record found. Seems like a huge waste.

I honestly start to think the rule is going to change to either do away with less than 250g exemption to registration or ruling which says if you are broadcasting, you need to register.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Aerophile
If it is all the same, I'll take the chance that the drone police won't have a scale on them when they come to bust me.
Yep and even if they had a scale, who's to say it isn't calibrated properly for such a heavy weight. Besides I would never agree to allow LEO to weigh my equipment without a warrant. So unless I have a GoPro on top of my Mini, there's no way to justify.....

I accidentally ordered the plus fly more when I intended to get the regular. I almost returned it and waited for the regular to come in stock.

But then I realized I’d need to register mine anyway because I fly at night a fair bit and the required strobe would put me over 250g anyway. So I just kept it and registered. Was nice to see that registering a second drone is easier than when you do your first.

Reactions: Valkyrie62
So here's a problem I had not thought about until lately since the Mini 4 Pro launch.

This big cluster called RID, we have a bunch and I mean hundreds of thousands of Mini 3 and Mini 4 drones that are broadcasting but undoubtedly go unregistered....for whatever reason.

See a drone, snag the numbers, no record found. Seems like a huge waste.

I honestly start to think the rule is going to change to either do away with less than 250g exemption to registration or ruling which says if you are broadcasting, you need to register.

Thoughts?
In the UK, the CAA are already in the process of phasing out exemption based on weight, planning to lump all drones from 249 grams upwards into a single regulation framework. In the next 12 months or so: it won't matter how light the drone is: there will be no latitude regarding additional freedoms.

In the UK, the CAA are already in the process of phasing out exemption based on weight, planning to lump all drones from 249 grams upwards into a single regulation framework. In the next 12 months or so: it won't matter how light the drone is: there will be no latitude regarding additional freedoms.
Can you provide a link to this process. Thanks...

Thanks, but I'd prefer a written link to read. A 45 min video is not really my cuppa.
I don't know how the laws or the proposed laws work and the process in the UK but the link to National Security Act is in the description of the video but otherwise yeah I couldn't tell you where to go from there; he probably explains it in detail in the video. These videos put me to sleep too so makes for a good watch when you can't sleep at 3am.

While I agree with most here that the overweight option for the Plus batteries is obvious, I think it's misleading ar, at the least, disingenuous, to advertise the <249g and the 45min flight time in the same chart.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas