DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

last leaked pictures before the Release date: by youtuber

Only among people that don't know what a zoom lens is.
The specs and the video you pointed to show a fixed tele lens, not a zoom lens.
i-FqRVLs9-M.jpg

How dare you point out facts - quit being so "difficult" ;)

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I’ve heard lots of jokes about the strap that’s coming in the package and they’re definitely funny, but I think it was a thoughtful addition.
It’s covering those front sensors which seem to be vulnerable. The back sensors will be covered by the arms.
But there also won’t be undue downward pressure on the propellers when folded up.
Bottom line, it saves us cash from purchasing another accessory in the short term AND possible damage later while transporting the M3.

And how does the drone achieve zoom without a camera? I'm not sure I am understanding you there.

Usually the optical and digital zoom ratios are separated so people know which is which - when companies don't do that, it's highly misleading.

This is how DJI describes the M2Z on the spec sheet - note there is nothing about digital zoom in there:

FOV: about 83° (24 mm); about 48° (48 mm)
35 mm Format Equivalent: 24-48 mm
Aperture: f/2.8 (24 mm)–f/3.8 (48 mm)
Shooting Range: 0.5 m to ∞

Regarding 28X zoom, that statement means nothing without context. I can crop a photo in 1000X and end up with a 0.5MP image, it doesn't make it a 1000X zoom feature. 28X zoom from what to what?

See my post above for clarity.
What do you think of the hybrid digital optical zoom

What do you think of the hybrid digital optical zoom

The drone has no optical zoom whatsoever in any capacity. It has two separate fixed focal length lenses (or "primes" if you're used to traditional photography terms).

The digital cropping it does looks like garbage as expected - it's just physics at that point. If you really want to do that, you are better off doing it in post where you have far more flexibility and access to tools for up-resing, etc.

How it works is it will crop the image from the main 24mm (equivalent) camera up to a maximum of 4X, then it switches to the telephoto (162mm equivalent) camera where it will also allow you to crop the image a maximum of 4X. Cropping a 4K image (~8MP) that much results in an image with approximately 0.5MP of resolution, so it looks horrendous. It does not use information from both cameras simultaneously to create some kind of hybrid image, it simply crops one image up to 4X before switching to the second camera and doing the same. In the case of the 162mm camera, it is throwing away data until you are left with a ~650mm equivalent frame at ~0.5MP.

The telephoto camera also has some major limitations, such as 4K30P video (not even a 24P option), auto exposure, fixed aperture, and no DLog. It's a total gimmick in my opinion, I see no real use for it beyond S&R/inspections, etc. at least in it's current implementation. Firmware updates might make it better later.

Its a nightmare to do anything in post on your video, you need to have the zoom working as you shoot to get the theme and design your looking for. This is why the Mavic 2 Zoom is no nice because it creates the perspective as your flying .

I( dont think the zoom looks like garbage , its going to be very useable in many situations.
I think the Hybrid zoom term makes sense , I just wish there could have been 2 x zoom in the Picture mode, that would have have been sweet enough.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

The drone has no optical zoom whatsoever in any capacity. It has two separate fixed focal length lenses (or "primes" if you're used to traditional photography terms).

The digital cropping it does looks like garbage as expected - it's just physics at that point. If you really want to do that, you are better off doing it in post where you have far more flexibility and access to tools for up-resing, etc.

How it works is it will crop the image from the main 24mm (equivalent) camera up to a maximum of 4X, then it switches to the telephoto (162mm equivalent) camera where it will also allow you to crop the image a maximum of 4X. Cropping a 4K image (~8MP) that much results in an image with approximately 0.5MP of resolution, so it looks horrendous. It does not use information from both cameras simultaneously to create some kind of hybrid image, it simply crops one image up to 4X before switching to the second camera and doing the same. In the case of the 162mm camera, it is throwing away data until you are left with a ~650mm equivalent frame at ~0.5MP.

The telephoto camera also has some major limitations, such as 4K30P video (not even a 24P option), auto exposure, fixed aperture, and no DLog. It's a total gimmick in my opinion, I see no real use for it beyond S&R/inspections, etc. at least in it's current implementation. Firmware updates might make it better later.
wow i give up

Its a nightmare to do anything in post on your video, you need to have the zoom working as you shoot to get the theme and design your looking for. This is why the Mavic 2 Zoom is no nice because it creates the perspective as your flying .

I( dont think the zoom looks like garbage , its going to be very useable in many situations.
I think the Hybrid zoom term makes sense , I just wish there could have been 2 x zoom in the Picture mode, that would have have been sweet enough.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
I haven't seen this confirmed, where did you see it?

WOW ! I was so confused, So there is Zoom in Picture mode, and that is Fantastic, Why is not mentioned as a highlight and this is the only review that showed that, That is great news.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Capture the Storm.
Honestly, I think the issue is there are a lot of reviews coming out of people who have beta stuff.... I just watched one saying that hype lapse wont be available until January. I am excited here but I am really glad I can get mine in a week (amazon) play with it and send back before February if its not meeting expectations. Basically, gona give them a benefit of the doubt on some stuff but I have bought DJI and im not playing x feature comes out later with them on this thing so we will see.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d