DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Launching and landing Mavic 2 on steel ship

xedder

Reactions
Have to do a photo shoot which involves launching and landing on steel ship and I am worried about compass.
I plan on doing compass calibration on land and hand launching using auto take off with my spotter.Going to do this from stern of vessel where is very open and lots of room.I hope when I land the steel doesn’t give me any problems.Anyone have any experience with this?
Thoughts?

Have to do a photo shoot which involves launching and landing on steel ship and I am worried about compass.
I plan on doing compass calibration on land and hand launching using auto take off with my spotter.Going to do this from stern of vessel where is very open and lots of room.I hope when I land the steel doesn’t give me any problems.Anyone have any experience with this?
Thoughts?
You are right to be concerned about the compass.
DO NOT attempt to launch from a steel surface.

You will need to hand launch from well above the steel.
Hand catching is probably best as well.
Will the ship be moving?

There should be no need to recalibrate the drone's compass.
Why were you wanting to do that?

Ship will be stationary.Everytime I travel more than 30 miles the Mavic 2 compass needs to be calibrated.
My old phantom and Mavic never needed calibration.
Am a little afraid to hand catch but did hand launch ok with auto take off. I figure that landing on the deck the compass shouldn’t matter as much as take off.
Don’t know really can’t find anyone that tried it.
Also was thinking of using suspended tarp and landing in it rather than a net which would snag props.

Ship will be stationary.
Good .. that solves some potential problems.
That you have to launch from the ship instead of nearby, suggest that it will be afloat somewhere, so it will still be drifting a little.
In that case, do not use RTH to land the drone as the recorded home point will not be the same part of the ship you launched from.
It could be anywhere including in the water.
Everytime I travel more than 30 miles the Mavic 2 compass needs to be calibrated.
Good old DJI doing their best to confuse drone flyers.
They programmed some models to force you to do that, even though there is no physical reason for it.
If yours asks for recalibrating when 30 miles away, do it, but well away from the ship.
Am a little afraid to hand catch but did hand launch ok with auto take off.
I figure that landing on the deck the compass shouldn’t matter as much as take off.
Hand catching is easy, more so with a spotter so you still have two hands for the controller.
But it's something you need to practise before doing on the job.
There are lots of youtube tutorials available to show how to do it safely.

If you tried landing on the steel deck, the drone would start wandering as you get close to the steel.
That could cause problems if there are obstacles or people close by.
You could get an idea of how this works by slowly lowering the drone towards a steel roof.
As it gets closer, you'll see it start to wander and look like a drunk walking home.
It's easy to go up and out of the magnetic influence of the roof so you can try it a few times safely.

Ship will be stationary.Everytime I travel more than 30 miles the Mavic 2 compass needs to be calibrated.
My old phantom and Mavic never needed calibration.
Am a little afraid to hand catch but did hand launch ok with auto take off. I figure that landing on the deck the compass shouldn’t matter as much as take off.
Don’t know really can’t find anyone that tried it.
Also was thinking of using suspended tarp and landing in it rather than a net which would snag props.

This explanation may help:

Reactions: Nonprophet
Good information for me in this situation and my M2 has the latest firmware and i make sure the drone faces same way as the map.Like i say i can do the hand take off with spotter but the landing would be hard even on stationary ship with wave action.I was planning to suspend a plastic tarp 3-4 feet off deck and catch the drone fireman style 2 feet above the tarp by doing emerg shut off.Is this a viable idea ? Boat is 65 feet by 16 foot beam. Or use a wooden or fibreglass boat ? Thanks Guys

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum