DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lawmakers want Biden to reject export licenses for DJI

Status
Not open for further replies.
What American made components are being exported and incorporated into DJI drones?

DJI Drones Powered by CEVA AI & Computer Vision Technologies​

By Mike Ball / 20 Mar 2019

Excerpt:

CEVA, a developer of signal processing platforms and artificial intelligence processors, has announced that the latest generation of Mavic 2 camera drones from DJI deploy CEVA DSPs and platforms to enable on-device artificial intelligence, advanced computer vision and long-range communication capabilities.

“DJI’s camera drones are transforming multiple industries, utilizing artificial intelligence, computer vision and other disruptive technologies to deliver truly unprecedented experiences,” said Gideon Wertheizer, CEO of CEVA. “The Mavic 2 series of drones epitomize this innovation, and we’re proud that our advanced DSPs and platforms for computer vision, AI and long-range communications help DJI lead the market.”

I hope an american company start making real competitive drones better than DJI and i will move my fleet to that one. Anyway I am not buying DJI drones anymore.
I hope a companies does soon too. But why aren't you going to buy DJI anymore? There is ZERO proof of any of this.

The issue raised here is not whether the drones are secretly "phoning home" but whether the "signal processing platforms and artificial intelligence processors" DJI buys from a US manufacturer is technology transfer that requires an export license.

Reactions: Dangerly
The issue raised here is not whether the drones are secretly "phoning home" but whether the "signal processing platforms and artificial intelligence processors" DJI buys from a US manufacturer is technology transfer that requires an export license.
Either way it a purely political ploy. And complete Bovine Scat!

Reactions: Moozer
Either way it a purely political ploy. And complete Bovine Scat!
I think we need to know the importance of CEVA's "signal processing platforms and artificial intelligence processors" to Mavic's performance or features to know whether an export license may be required. Anyone know?

Reactions: Dangerly
Ok let's be honest. I don't agree with this one bit. But let's focus on what appears to be the problem and not get distracted. Here's what I believe is really going on here, agree or disagree but likely true:

If you open up a DJI drone and you inspect everything, you will quickly discover that most everything they are using is tech that was not invented or created or improved or conceived in China (over the last 25 years). And lawmakers are sick of it because it appears to be hi-jacked, stolen, usurped, misused, misappropriated, cheated, or whatever you want to call it and there is no equivalent in America.

If all we had was a Motorola phone against the Xiaomi 15, Xiaomi 15 Pro, and Xiaomi 15 Max were kicking our butts (no company called Apple) then the same would be happening in the mobile phone space. The drone space is not the only "compromised" area.

We're not going to win this fight if we try to pretend like the Chinese companies are smarter than us and more creative and innovative while the Americans are stupid. There are people in the US government who aren't going to accept that.

I'm not arguing a position. I'm suggesting that the discussion should emphasize observable reality, facts, and specifics rather than nebulous worries and assertions.

If you open up a DJI drone and you inspect everything, you will quickly discover that most everything they are using is tech that was not invented or created or improved or conceived in China (over the last 25 years).

Is there actual documentation of this from DJI drone teardowns?

And lawmakers are sick of it because it appears to be hi-jacked, stolen, usurped, misused, misappropriated, cheated, or whatever you want to call it and there is no equivalent in America.
It's obvious that some lawmakers are upset, but do they have a actual fact-based reasons for their emotional responses?

We're not going to win this fight if we try to pretend like the Chinese companies are smarter than us and more creative and innovative while the Americans are stupid. There are people in the US government who aren't going to accept that.
We're not going to make good decisions unless the country makes decisions founded in fact, rather than the noise-making of a few members of Congress.

By the way, I'm seeing no suggestions, other then here, that American companies are stupid.

By the way, I'm seeing no suggestions, other then here, that American companies are stupid.
Stupid as in we're not smart enough to recognize our tech is being stolen right from underneath our noses. Perhaps stupid is a strong word and might trigger some; I should have said naive to the situation. There are lots of Americans across the spectrum who believe all this cool high tech is being invented in the Far East.

Humans have been copying each others tech ever since the first one came up with a spear........ 🍻

Humans have been copying each others tech ever since the first one came up with a spear........ 🍻
True but the point is America is starting to believe that tech is being used back against them and maybe they should do more to stop the unnecessary proliferation. At some point, it does start to get a bit frustrating when your own knowledge is being used against you unfairly.

Stupid as in we're not smart enough to recognize our tech is being stolen right from underneath our noses. Perhaps stupid is a strong word and might trigger some; I should have said naive to the situation.
So rather than stupid, you're saying that American companies are naive and not smart enough. I can't agree on that one either.

There are lots of Americans across the spectrum who believe all this cool high tech is being invented in the Far East.
You run with a very different crowd than I do. My friends and acquaintances are well aware that theft of intellectual property and technology is a real issue.

If you open up a DJI drone and you inspect everything, you will quickly discover that most everything they are using is tech that was not invented or created or improved or conceived in China (over the last 25 years).
[...]
I really don't understand your point.

Are you claiming that "most everything" inside a DJI drone wasn't "invented or created or improved or conceived" in China? Are you suggesting all that stuff instead originated from the USA?

If it's all American tech, then why has no American company been able to duplicate or successfully market a competitive drone product equivalent to DJI's "over the last 25 years"?

What were you trying to say with all that? The US gov't will ban DJI merely to ensure nobody can pretend the Chinese might be smarter? Huh?

I really don't understand your point.

Are you claiming that "most everything" inside a DJI drone wasn't "invented or created or improved or conceived" in China? Are you suggesting all that stuff instead originated from the USA?

If it's all American tech, then why has no American company been able to duplicate or successfully market a competitive drone product equivalent to DJI's "over the last 25 years"?

What were you trying to say with all that? The US gov't will ban DJI merely to ensure nobody can pretend the Chinese might be smarter? Huh?

Again, what's your point?

That article is dated March 12, 2109. That's less than 5 years ago, not 25 years.

The article says, "CEVA is the leading licensor of signal processing platforms and artificial intelligence processors for a smarter, connected world. We partner with semiconductor companies and OEMs worldwide to create power-efficient, intelligent and connected devices for a range of end markets, including mobile, consumer, automotive, industrial and IoT."

[...] said Gideon Wertheizer, CEO of CEVA. "The Mavic 2 series of drones epitomize this innovation, and we're proud that our advanced DSPs and platforms for computer vision, AI and long-range communications help DJI lead the market."

That article explicitly states that America is proud to sell its technology in order to help DJI lead the market.
Labor cost. Thats why so many products designed in America are shipped to China for production.

America is proud to ship its technology to China, while it prefers to manufacture its own products in China because it's cheap. Yet the ban on DJI products is being pushed by "people in the US government who aren't going to accept that" because they're worried it makes Americans look stupid???

Ah yup, I suppose that makes sense.

A group of 15 Republican lawmakers wrote a letter to our Defense Secretary saying that a recent tear down of a DJI drone found U.S. manufactured components. [...]

That letter was signed by 14 Republicans, and one Democrat, (according to what Google reports about the names). Elise Stefanik(R), Joni Ernst(R), Jimmy Panetta(D), Marsha Blackburn(R), Mike Gallagher(R), Todd Young(R), Robert Wittman(R), Marco Rubio(R), Rudy Yakym(R), Michael Guest(R), Ronny Jackson(R), Darrel Issa(R), Lanca Gooden(R), Cory Mills(R), James Moylan(R).

DJI drones can be shipped around the world when purchased online from Amazon or even Walmart. Meanwhile the letter states, "The U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) should not be recommending approval of export licenses for U.S. technology that advances DJI's capabilities, which are actively being leveraged by our adversaries in attacks against our allies and partners, from Eastern Europe to Israel."
[...]
"DJI is also illegally equipping the Russian Federation with drones that Russia's army is deploying on the front lines of their war in Ukraine."

They're claiming American technology shouldn't be exported to DJI, because DJI drones are being used by the Russians. Yet, the letter makes no mention of the fact that the same American technology exported to DJI is also being used to much greater effect by America's ally, the Ukrainian Army. Wouldn't banning the export of such technology to DJI therefor be counterproductive to the interests of America?

Thread has run its course.
1703210135978.png

Reactions: AlanL
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members