DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Learning the controller and the bird without flying

PLD

Reactions
Hello everyone. I'm new to the group and new to flying drones I just purchased a Mavic
2 pro. It's great,
there's a lot to take in and learn. I also have the smart controller. I'm trying to sit in my living room and play with the controller to find out what buttons do what. My question is do I have to have the bird turn on to link up with the controller so I can find out information on how to operate this bird and controller. and is there any way of turning the drone on without using the battery? Maybe with the power supply going to the bird
. Any help would be appreciated. PLD

Hi PLD Welcome to Mavic Pilots
Unfortunately you have to have things turned on & connected to play around.
I don't know of a way to have the Mavic turned on without using up the battery, not saying there isn’t one but if there is I don't know it.

A "Familiarization Session" is absolutely the best time you can spend with a new bird.

Download the user manual --> DJI Downloads
(You can find the SC manual around here too)

Turn on the SC, turn on the M2P, let them bind. The battery will last a long time as long as you don't start the motors. Find a comfy chair and get settled.

With everything powered up and linked, start reading the user manual. As you read through the manual, make sure you can find everything being discussed, on the bird, and in the app/controller, you understand how to use it and why or why not to use/not use it. You can make settings changes to suit your needs and how you want things to work

This process will take an hour or so, maybe longer, maybe shorter, depends on you. Just be careful and don't start the motors. This will be some of the best time you will invest as when you're done you'll have been exposed to just about everything the bird is capable of, every setting/function on the controller and flight app...it will reduce the number of questions you'll have, problems you'll encounter and when you do have questions, you'll be better versed to discuss it.

Hello everyone. I'm new to the group and new to flying drones I just purchased a Mavic
2 pro. It's great,
there's a lot to take in and learn. I also have the smart controller. I'm trying to sit in my living room and play with the controller to find out what buttons do what. My question is do I have to have the bird turn on to link up with the controller so I can find out information on how to operate this bird and controller. and is there any way of turning the drone on without using the battery? Maybe with the power supply going to the bird
. Any help would be appreciated. PLD

If you have a Windows PC, you can download the full DJI Flight Simulator, which lets you connect your controller via a cable to your PC to fly "virtually".

Just be careful and don't start the motors.

I like to take the props off whenever I start the drone in the house. This allows me to start/stop motors, whether intentionally or not. It is also IMPORTANT to remove the gimbal cover before starting the drone!!

I don’t know about anyone else, but having flown various models of drone I always take a minute or two, to quietly go through my flight and what I may need to do. Looking at the instructions now and again is always useful at any level of experience!

Reactions: ArcTenTen
I did this frequently the first few months of owning my first DJI, it takes time learning where everything is and deciding what settings might fit your flying style. The battery will supply power to the Mavic for hours with the motors off. I would recommend not doing this with the Mavic arms folded in due to the cooling fan exhaust ports being on the side, with the arms folded in these ports are blocked causing a restriction of air flow. If I know I will have the Mavic on for a while I will take a small desktop fan and place it in front of the Mavic and this will help keep the electronics cool while you mess around.

My question is do I have to have the bird turn on to link up with the controller so I can find out information on how to operate this bird and controller. and is there any way of turning the drone on without using the battery?
1. Yes
2. No

It's much easier to fly than you imagine.
It takes about 5 minutes to learn the basics - but a lot of practice and experience to become proficient.
Don't let the simplicity make you get too adventurous too early.
There are many things that can go wrong and you need to understand what they are and how to make sure they don't happen to you.

I would recommend against launching indoors for a beginner, it adds extra complications.
For learning, the critical thing is to practise in a large clear open area, well away from trees and buildings.
Flying close to obstacles is by far, the largest killer of drones.
Obstacles are their number one enemy.

Good advice to practice in the open so I'll say it again...no faster way to "Choke" than to get too close to something...and I'll bet we've all done it.

Reactions: RisingSky@UVT
I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions holy smokes you guys jumped on his like gravy on rice, thank you so much. PLD

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121