DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Learning to fly the Mini 2

@LoudThunder,

Thank you for your comments and observations. Please allow me to clarify some things for you per the timeline instances you pointed out.

At 0:06 and 0:45 seconds... I have never had any problems flying here in this environment. I have even flown my Spark up and between the high tension power lines.

At 0:52 seconds: The sky was my intentional 2/3rds of my subject. The clouds looked better than what was on the ground to me.

What happened to your video at 3:04?:
That was a transitional effect provided by Filmora. I agree that it does look like electrical interference.

At 6:10: I was flying the drone.

At 6:34: The "wandering" or "heat effect" was vibrations provided by two slightly damaged props that I did not see in my previous damage assessment.

Now to address some of your other concerns...

That is the church that I have attended many times and I have permission to fly there. There was no one there and no funeral services being held there at that time. I did not fly over the cementary.

The friends house is empty. We buried that poor dear soul three weeks ago. Besides that, I have flown my Spark there while she watched in amazement and was thrilled to see the video of the flight.

And thank you for the manual. I already have one that I downloaded two weeks ago and have read through twice now.

Please see my next post and have a great weekend! :DThumbswayup
Speaking of damaged props, I just got out my kit and repaired a slightly damaged one. I found I had several packages of props marked A and B, not with lines and no lines. I marked the envelopes LINES and NO LINES. I heard about the wrong props being on the wrong motors flipping a DJI drone over. Is it the pitch? At least the motors involved are diagonal to each other.

The User Manual says stay away from power lines, not just because of the possibility of hitting them, but also they are a tremendous source of RF interference, as proven as you flew by them twice on takeoff and landing as well as the video bobble as you flew over the cell phone tower… In addition to the sub-station across the street from your house can only exasperate an already "dodgy issue."

You can fly past power lines all day and never have an issue, then you just have to fly by one that has "weak connections" and it's leaking RF signals that disrupt your connection to your drone. You are lucky that it only appears to disrupt your reception from the camera. Perhaps if you submitted your flight logs for evaluation, they might show signal loss.

Happy and Safe Droning…
Power lines and RF interference? No way. Cell towers yes, power lines no.

Power lines have other risks, of course - crash risk, some folks find compass problems. Then there's the risk of shorting lines out and plunging an area into darkness, so to speak.

Reactions: graywoulf
@ LoudThunder, I did not think to take into consideration that we are viewing the videos on different computers and different monitors. I am using a Dell 8600 laptop which is not 4k but 1080p at best. I wish I had some updated equipment though.

I totally agree that I was as you say, "dancing with the devil" and I hope to move away from that devil within the next month. Sure, no dogs here and I appreciate your observations and input. Take care and thank you for your service to our country! Thumbswayup Thumbswayup

Power lines and RF interference? No way. Cell towers yes, power lines no.

Au contraire, mon Ami, (as they say "somewhere…")

You do realize that radio communication between the drone and controller is a "two-way street." As a minimum, the controller is transmitting flight instructions (up, down, left, right, fore, and aft); the drone is transmitting video, flight data (GPS Data: speed, height, distance), flight characteristics (correction for wind deflection, orientation to Home, Controller, and North, and so much more). This helps to explain why some devices (Phones and Tablets) may run the DJI Apps, but crash and stutter, due to cheap components, and low resources (Ram and Storage). So you do not need anything interfering with all that data transmission…

From the linked article at end of posting…

"Power-line noise can interfere with radio communications and broadcasting. Essentially, the power-lines or associated hardware improperly generate unwanted radio signals that override or compete with desired radio signals."

Power Line Noise.

All I've got to say is be safe, not sorry…

Au contraire, mon Ami, (as they say "somewhere…")

You do realize that radio communication between the drone and controller is a "two-way street." As a minimum, the controller is transmitting flight instructions (up, down, left, right, fore, and aft); the drone is transmitting video, flight data (GPS Data: speed, height, distance), flight characteristics (correction for wind deflection, orientation to Home, Controller, and North, and so much more). This helps to explain why some devices (Phones and Tablets) may run the DJI Apps, but crash and stutter, due to cheap components, and low resources (Ram and Storage). So you do not need anything interfering with all that data transmission…

From the linked article at end of posting…

"Power-line noise can interfere with radio communications and broadcasting. Essentially, the power-lines or associated hardware improperly generate unwanted radio signals that override or compete with desired radio signals."

Power Line Noise.

All I've got to say is be safe, not sorry…
If you were to read the article you linked to, beyond your quote, you might have realized the noise they're talking about is an exception, and due to equipment faults. You think that's the norm?
Interestingly, there are other, far more common, kinds of power line noise, but these don't occur with transmission lines, they tend to be in factory, even home, environments. The noise is caused in ways similar to what's described in your link, sparking equipment like a motor with brushes! Some years back, maybe even today, some light dimmers generated a lot of noise too.

I can see that you'll keep thinking what you do, but for the rest of humanity, please realize that distribution power lines (the ones on tall towers) are a big threat to drones because they're high and hard to see closely enough, not because you're going to lose control of your drone.

If you want to see if the distribution lines are creating the kind of noise LoudThunder is so worried about, just turn on an AM radio near the lines. If all the stations are drowned out by static, then you have a "LoudThunder problem"!

If you were to read the article you linked to, beyond your quote, you might have realized the noise they're talking about is an exception, and due to equipment faults. You think that's the norm?
Interestingly, there are other, far more common, kinds of power line noise, but these don't occur with transmission lines, they tend to be in factory, even home, environments. The noise is caused in ways similar to what's described in your link, sparking equipment like a motor with brushes! Some years back, maybe even today, some light dimmers generated a lot of noise too.

I can see that you'll keep thinking what you do, but for the rest of humanity, please realize that distribution power lines (the ones on tall towers) are a big threat to drones because they're high and hard to see closely enough, not because you're going to lose control of your drone.

If you want to see if the distribution lines are creating the kind of noise LoudThunder is so worried about, just turn on an AM radio near the lines. If all the stations are drowned out by static, then you have a "LoudThunder problem"!
You make good points all around. I did the AM test using my vintage Radio Shack DX-362 receiver. I extended the long antenna all the way out and scanned the AM band three times. I tuned in the three local AM stations and all were clear. Even a manual scan through the AM band had no buzzing or clicking but only normal AM static which was very minimal.

Like I said earlier, I will be moving away from here soon so the power lines will not be a problem. I will repeat the AM test at the new house when I get back there before I fly there.

I can see that you'll keep thinking what you do, but for the rest of humanity,

Ye gads, from your over the top reply, one would think I'm "Chicken Little crying the Sky is Falling…"

I merely pointed out that there could be a cacophony of "electronic noise;" from the power lines in front of the driveway, the high tension towers in front of the house across the street, and the substation off to the side of the house across the street…

As I said, I do not have a dog in this fight, I only wanted to offer an opinion as the OP originally asked for…

LT Signing Off…

Ye gads, from your over the top reply, one would think I'm "Chicken Little crying the Sky is Falling…"

I merely pointed out that there could be a cacophony of "electronic noise;" from the power lines in front of the driveway, the high tension towers in front of the house across the street, and the substation off to the side of the house across the street…

As I said, I do not have a dog in this fight, I only wanted to offer an opinion as the OP originally asked for…

LT Signing Off…
I agree with you LT. As it is said... "it's all good"! And "Nuff said".

Hey guys, I have a question about night flying. I know that I have to have an appropriate strobe mounted on the Mini 2 but is it required that it be mounted on top of the drone? And does it have to be a strobe light?

Hey guys, I have a question about night flying. I know that I have to have an appropriate strobe mounted on the Mini 2 but is it required that it be mounted on top of the drone? And does it have to be a strobe light?

"The small unmanned aircraft must have lighted anti-collision lighting visible for at least three (3) statute miles that has a flash rate sufficient to avoid a collision."

Ref: https://www.faa.gov/uas/commercial_operators/operations_over_people/

Mounting the light on the underside of the drone doesn't promote good visibility, except to observers below the drone.

You are going to have a lot of fun! I have the following in large letters in the case where I carry the Mini2. REMOVE GIMBAL GUARD BEFORE PRESSING POWER BUTTON!!! I used to forget that thing, now I don't. I live in a congested area as well, and I set up two or three trash cans with flat lids, then practice taking off and flying from one to the other, it helps. Esslinger has 2mm Phillips screw drivers, that are the right size for the props. I got two at reasonable price
All the good posts with interesting comments..

The Samsung A71 works with the Fly App…

If you are still having issues after reading the User manual… read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

DJI Mini 2 - Download Center - DJI

Finally, you can also log onto the DJI Forum Web Site…

DJI FORUM

Good Luck and Safe Droning…

i have a new Mini 2 and try to connect to my Samsung A71. Fly app is on the phone but no connection....
Make sure the Mini 2's "butt" is pointing towards the controller. Sometimes you have to play with the drone, like turning its power off and then on. Then there is that little lighted button on the tail. If it's flashing, press that in and hold and see if you get a reaction. From the RC-N1 controller, might have to tap on messages about this and that (in my case that I promise not to violate local restricted zones) until you get an indication that you have made connection with the Mini 2. You're all set if you see at the bottom of your video device (the thing running DJI Fly) the message to "Go Fly" on an attractive blue ribbon. I have to go through some of that every day, but eventually it all comes together. When you can start up the props, you know you are good to go.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Make sure the Mini 2's "butt" is pointing towards the controller. Sometimes you have to play with the drone, like turning its power off and then on. Then there is that little lighted button on the tail. If it's flashing, press that in and hold and see if you get a reaction. From the RC-N1 controller, might have to tap on messages about this and that (in my case that I promise not to violate local restricted zones) until you get an indication that you have made connection with the Mini 2. You're all set if you see at the bottom of your video device (the thing running DJI Fly) the message to "Go Fly" on an attractive blue ribbon. I have to go through some of that every day, but eventually it all comes together. When you can start up the props, you know you are good to go.
So is this a Galaxy Tab A71? I'm unfamiliar with that one. I take it it has a 64bit processor, or I think it couldn't even start running DJI Fly. I use a Galaxy Tab A7 Lite. Love it.

I think it's a good exercise to practice flying slowly. Subtle stick movements. When I got my Mini 2 I almost gave myself a haircut it moved so fast. :)
it's probably overkill, but one of the first things I did was to get the drone about 10 feet in the air on a hover, then practiced subtle toggle movement on Cine, Normal and Sport mode to see how the drone reacted. And yes, even in Cine mode it can move quickly...and by quickly I mean it moved a lot quicker than where I was on the learning curve

I'm glad I did that because now I know how the drone will react when it's not nearly as visible and objects are near

Very true. It's easy to lose it if you just watch the screen and don't move between the drone and screen.

It's easy to lose it if you just watch the screen and don't move between the drone and screen.

If you lose sight of your drone and you are not quite sure where the Drone is located, STOP Immediately (just release the sticks). Relax a few seconds and compose yourself, the Drone is GPS and when it's stopped, it's not going anywhere.

The Atti Screen (bottom Left of the App Screen that looks like a Radar Screen) is very helpful in situations like this.

Your Drone Icon is the "Blue Arrow Head with the Green Light" in the center, it always points up.

The Home Point is the Circle "H" and if you yaw your drone in a complete circle, (360 degrees) the Home Point will revolve around the Drone Icon

The semi-circle with the "N" is the Polar Icon indicates North by the compass, it also revolves around the Drone Icon.

Finally, the Blue Dot with a Triangle on it is the location of the Radio Controller or RC Unit and the Triangle indicates the direction that you are pointing and like the Home Point it revolves around the Drone Icon.

You should always point your controller towards the Drone for maximum signal. If the Triangle is on the side away from the Drone, turn towards the Drone.

Yaw your Drone towards the Home Point, the Home Point will now be at the 12 o'clock position and fly it back, at least until the drone is once again within your sight. Just make sure it is high enough that it does not hit that one tall tree, pole, tower, etc…

One final note, if the controller (you holding the controller) is further away from the Drone than the Home Point, the Controller Icon may not show up, only the Home Point.

PS: I have no idea if the circles actually indicates any information or not. If the Drone were 100 feet or 1,000 feet away from the Home Point, the display would look much the same… You would then have to depend on the Height and Distance indicators.

Atti.jpg

Reactions: MS Coast
@LoudThunder great tips. I'm very familiar with that feature but, fortunately, I haven't needed it yet. I tend to fly relatively close to where I'm at, but it's definitely great knowledge to have. I've played around with it at my practice field so I'll understand it if I ever do need it in the real world.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne