DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Left MP idling on table. Revved up at random and headed for ceiling... why?

Crayons

Reactions
... Wow my fingers ache. Lurched for it and grabbed just in time, suffering a couple of blows from the props. Those things hurt :-(

I don't understand why this happened. Anyone?

Full explanation:

* Charged batteries to 100% intending to fly.
* Didn't fly, and know that I won't fly now for at least a week.
* Rather than wait for auto-discharge to kick in I'd rather reduce them to 50% now, since I read that storing at 100% for many days is bad.
* Place MP on table, connect RC and fire up props, leaving it idling at sub-take off speed.
* About 5 minutes passes before it suddenly decides to rev up and take off, resulting in event described above.

I have done this before a couple of times before with no issue and I have never in any situation seen the thing take off on it's own without stick-up input. Only difference I can think of is that this time is a different location and the RC is flicking between ATTI and GPS mode.

Storing batteries at 100% is only bad for long term storage, as in months/years, not days. Don't stress it, and just leave the battery charged.

Reactions: Crayons
Don't the batteries discharge themselves to storage levels after 3-10 days (depending on settings) anyway?

Batts do discharge after 10 days, 50%.

Under RC disconnect, you need hover or land selected when indoors.(Remember to change it back for outdoors)

Or if not going to fly, take props off as stated above.

Are you sure that you didn't accidentally tap the auto-takeoff button on your screen? I mean REALLY SURE?

Not saying it matters, but what FW are you on?
I had rc disconnect (along with other issues) mavic 5ft away on
FW.600 and rth was activated.

Another thought is the landing sensors, but I don't know what would explain them taking several minutes to kick in.

* Rather than wait for auto-discharge to kick in I'd rather reduce them to 50% now, since I read that storing at 100% for many days is bad.

You can adjust the auto discharge setting to a day or two rather than the default 10 days. That's probably better than letting the Mavic motors idle.

Reactions: Crayons
How long does MP idling on the table?
What is your low batt/critical batt setting for RTH to kick in?
Are you sure it did not hit critical batt setting?

Reactions: dewster
How long does MP idling on the table?
What is your low batt/critical batt setting for RTH to kick in?
Are you sure it did not hit critical batt setting?

Was a few minutes only. Still around 90%.

I think we can summarise as follows:

1. It's a bit of a mystery
2. I'm an idiot for leaving props on
3. I need to stop being such a tit and both a) reduce the time to auto-discharge and b) stop worrying about battery mgmt so much.

Ha, don't be hard on yourself!!!

All my first flights were inside. (I did not want a "fly-away")
One flight the RC "disconnected". . .So I am fully "aware" of the RC disconnect settings!;) (And I know the sounds the Mavic makes as it attempts to get through a ceiling.)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_