DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Legal Question UK

Olav van Gerven

Reactions
I just watched a video of some guys doing public photography in the UK, At one point, they flew a drone, with a reference that they checked "there are no flight restrictions". Now, In Germany (my base) and Sweden (where I fly most), there are areas which are not soecific pointed out as under flight restriction, but still are forbidden. Naturreservats, but also closed housing areas. My question now, is that different in the UK? These guys where flying over an industrial estate in between housingareas. Using a mini2, they state, that they can fly even over people etc. How true is that?

They most certainly cannot fly over people - they must maintain a 50 metre horizontal distance from people.

Here is the CAA site with the information you want.
Not correct. If you look further down the page you linked, it says:

“If you’re flying a drone or model aircraft that’s lighter than 250g or is C0 class, you can fly closer to people than 50m and you can fly over them.”

with the under 250g weight of drone it can be flown closer to people ,using the one to one rule which means that for every foot of height you have to be one foot away from them so if you were at 50ft then you would have to be 50ft from them,this means that you have more leeway in where you can fly your drone, and with these under 250g drones you can fly over residential, commercial and transport infrastructure, provided you observe any local flight restrictions and dont put anyone in danger,
This is not correct. If the drone is under 250g, you can fly close to and over uninvolved people (but not crowds) in the UK. See http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP2012_EU_Drone_Rules_Factsheet_V7 7.pdf

forgive me but i clicked on your link and couldn't see anything mentioning the one to one rules not applying to sub,250g drones
If you look at the A1 category in the linked table, the Operating Area column says “Fly over uninvolved people, but not over crowds”. There is no requirement to link this to drone height.

@maelstrom the one to one rule applies to A2 drones with the New C rating and being flown with the A2 C of C certificate, when using the low speed mode that these drones will have, so i apologise for my error and have deleted my posts accordingly ,and as we all know for the time being, there are no C rated drones available to purchase

Reactions: maelstrom
Its amazing how many laws and exemptions apply to products that don't actually exist currently :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki