DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Legal surveillance?

Ok gang let's not get carried away and go down that rabbit hole.

The OP never stated the UAS was their first line of defense etc. It's entirely possible they DID call Law Enforcement and it's possible the UAS was an after thought. Regardless we weren't there so lets all go easy on the "Armchair Quarterbacking" here.

@Mjgonzo thank you for a polite and respectful reply!! Good luck going forward!!

Yep, shots fired on a farm/ranch is no big deal... heck I probably shot a couple dozen times yesterday myself ... I'm thinking surveilling someone elses property would be a BIG no no!

Dad, Brandy, (sister) and I have been out shooting in our yard twice in the past week alone, and we don't own a farm, just acreage. Several neighbors shoot, we shoot, so hearing gunfire is common, and not needing 'Surveillance'. While I fly over neighbors acreages regularly with my Mini, I do so at a respectful 200' Minimum, also don't loiter, and just pass over, like a good neighbor.
Out of curiosity, not judging the original poster, did you recover the bullet from a tree, wall, or somewhere else that lets you be certain this bullet wizzed by close to the congregation?

Last edited:
Reactions: A.O. and Flycaster
As both a rancher and a hobby drone pilot, if I see someone flying over my property to survey what I'm doing without my permission, you can bet your [Comment removed by ADMIN] I am doing my best to shoot your drone out of the sky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: A.O.
As both a rancher and a hobby drone pilot, if I see someone flying over my property to survey what I'm doing without my permission, you can bet your *** I am doing my best to shoot your drone out of the sky.

• A) That's ILLEGAL
  • B) IT's VERY ILLEGAL
  • C) It's reckless and dangerous
  • D) It's still ILLEGAL!

• A) That's ILLEGAL
  • B) IT's VERY ILLEGAL
  • C) It's reckless and dangerous
  • D) It's still ILLEGAL!

It is very dangerous as you mentioned. Who knows where that bullet is going to come down at, and may kill. We shoot in the yard frequently, but a large dirt pile backstop makes sure those bullets never leave our yard. Safety first, I operate heavy equipment on a logging crew, and our first priority at work is always safety, then get the wood out.

Details...
I was thinking shotgun, not rifle. From a safety standpoint, it'd be no different than shooting at winged game like ducks, geese, or upland birds. With that said, and it all seriousness, after reading reading about the legalities of this, I did some research and learned something. So thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Reactions: BigAl07 and ATW
I have a legal question to ask. There is a small area in town where there we shots fired recently, looks like from a chicken or goat farm, nothing major happened but just to be careful because we have a church near by, we are flying the drone over the area for surveillance reasons. We’re keeping a watch of that area, the people do not know we are watching there property from above. Is that legal to do?
If you do not have a warrant, it is considered an illegal search. Would not hold up in court as evidence. Plus it is not your job, let local law enforcement do their job, they have drones too.

I have a legal question to ask. There is a small area in town where there we shots fired recently, looks like from a chicken or goat farm, nothing major happened but just to be careful because we have a church near by, we are flying the drone over the area for surveillance reasons. We’re keeping a watch of that area, the people do not know we are watching there property from above. Is that legal to do?
Kinda sounds like Nosey Neighbor Syndrome to me... I shoot all the time on my farm

Keep in mind that anything you happen to CAPTURE from the air w/o a warrant will get tossed out in court and could jeopardize the whole case.
I agree with everything you said. Except, technically speaking, this is not necessarily true. Only the government is required to have a warrant. If a private citizen has evidence that would otherwise require a warrant, the government can use it, at least Constitutionally speaking. Now, in my state, there is an evidence rule saying that evidence will be excluded if it would have required a warrant, BUT that rule only applies to civil cases, not criminal. So, for example, if I am visiting a friend and notice he has a stolen bank box in his closet, if I tell them they can arrest him even though they couldn’t have gotten a warrant to search his house without any other evidence.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi