DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Legal to Launch & Land Near Road in US?

CadrePilot

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Is it okay to launch and land adjacent a public road in the US, assuming it's otherwise safe to do so?

Yes it’s ok. Just remember that you can not fly continuously over moving vehicles

Reactions: CadrePilot
Yes it’s ok. Just remember that you can not fly continuously over moving vehicles
I'm under that same assumption and have searched for confirmation or a reference suggesting it's not okay, and have found neither.

This is from a recent flight (screen cap from larger photo):
screen cap next to crater.JPG

Last edited:
Unless it’s private property and there’s no airspace restrictions then you are ok

Unless it’s private property and there’s no airspace restrictions then you are ok
It's my understanding that the the ground near the public road is part of the road easement and thus also public property, not private. For example, as a homeowner I know that the city can do pretty much whatever they want in my yard from about 15 feet adjacent the street.

In the photo excerpt I posted above, the land on both sides of the roadway is private, but the road is public.

Some folks have suggested that it might be legal to fly from public roads in areas where drone takeoffs and landings are prohibited, such as national parks. Not so.

I suspect there are state and local laws governing what activities are permissible in the right-of-way that includes the road. There are for Interstate Highways.

Use common sense. Fly safely. I'd probably fly in that location you showed in the photo.

Reactions: CadrePilot
Use common sense. Fly safely. I'd probably fly in that location you showed in the photo.
no drones.JPG
I was parked perhaps 100 yards from this gate and sign. ;-)

In California on major roads and highways-You are limited to parking on the roadside ( as shown) to 1 hour. You cannot park beside the Freeway for any purpose other than an emergency. I have been to meteor Crater Nice area. I am surprised you didn't meet the Barringer Company Security when you flew. The whole area is private and they will send you down the road.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hinzel4000