DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lenovo Tablet?

danfau07

Reactions
been looking around for a tablet. I know about phantom help, but is a new tablet. Lenovo tab 8 fhd. Its got the amd 64 bit processor, 3 gig ram, android 9 and 802.11ac. Should work right? Lenovo allows you to make payments. That why I'm considering it. Thanks

RAM looks to be a bit light. If you run other Apps to do screen recording, you might struggle.

Although it is a 64 bit processor, is it running a 64 bit OS? My understanding is some devices although capable still have a 32 bit OS.

Reactions: Chrislaf
I had originally purchased the Lenovo to control another company's drone. I tried the website several times and Google apps several times to download the Go Fly app. It would download, but it would not open or install. Error message. The Samsung was recommended by another flyer on this forum.

I use the Lenovo 4 8" 64 Bit Tablet and run Android 64bit operating system on it. I downloaded DJI-Fly 1-1-4 by side mounting and it loaded and works fine. It only has 2gb ram and a micro DS Extreme 128 Gb card installed as extra memory.
I do have other Apps installed, but they don't seem to make much difference.

My Lenovo Tablet Tab 4 8" would not download and open the Go Fly program. Had to purchase another tablet. (Samsung Tab A 8") which works like a charm. Hope this is helpful.
Exactly which Samsung Tab A 8" did you get as the one I found suggested that it was only a 32bit processor.
Thanks

Exactly which Samsung Tab A 8" did you get as the one I found suggested that it was only a 32bit processor.

The Samsung Tab 8 has to be the North American version which is the TR-290 which has the Qualcomm processor (ARM8/64). The European version will not work with the Fly App.

Samsung SM-T290.jpg

Thanks for your response.
The chap who mentioned the Samsung Tab A advises that it is the model T590 which you mention and it is the one available here in Australia.

Can I assume that the OS (Android 9.0) installed would also be the 64 bit version? Surely it would as defeat the purpose of having a 64 bit processor.

I have also since found that the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 inch model T510 has an Exynos 7904 processor which also is supposed to be 64 bit. IT also has a better screen resolution (1920 X 1200) which may not look much better than 1280X800 on an 8 inch screen. It also has 3GB RAM (the T290 only 2GB) but I'm not sure if that would cause any issues as I will not be running any other apps at the same time as GO FLY.
Just noticed you are in Kamloops which we briefly visited on the Rocky Mountaineer.

Thanks for your response.
The chap who mentioned the Samsung Tab A advises that it is the model T590 which you mention and it is the one available here in Australia.

Can I assume that the OS (Android 9.0) installed would also be the 64 bit version? Surely it would as defeat the purpose of having a 64 bit processor.

I have also since found that the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 inch model T510 has an Exynos 7904 processor which also is supposed to be 64 bit. IT also has a better screen resolution (1920 X 1200) which may not look much better than 1280X800 on an 8 inch screen. It also has 3GB RAM (the T290 only 2GB) but I'm not sure if that would cause any issues as I will not be running any other apps at the same time as GO FLY.
Just noticed you are in Kamloops which we briefly visited on the Rocky Mountaineer.

I am not familiar with the GO FLY app you are talking about. Guessing you mean the mini's Fly App.

Everyone says the Fly app needs a 64 bit processor. They are correct but in addition that processor has to have the ARM8/64 capabilities. Most Android devices don't and the Fly app will not work even though other DJI app will.

As I said the T290 North American version with the Qualcomm processor which has the ARM8/64 and it works. Do your research or you take your chances with any other models.

I do not know exactly what ARM8 or ARM64 is, hopefully someone can explain it better than I.

@jarnie - I hope you enjoyed the Rocky Mountaineer train trip from Vancouver BC to Calgary Alberta with and overnight in Kamloops. You got to see some of the great country around here. From my home I can see and hear the Rocky Mountaineer arrive. Unfortunately not this summer... hopefully it gets back on track when things recover.

Here's a winter pano view from my deck looking downtown where the train passes through, and a cloudy day shot about 70 feet up with my mini.

Winter Pano - McGill.jpg

Kamloops Cloudy Day Pano - April20.jpg

Reactions: ff22
Impressive thanks. We didn't see much of Kamloops just between the train station and the hotel they put us up in. I remember the welcome by horseback riders on the platform we received.

The Samsung Tab 8 has to be the North American version which is the TR-290 which has the Qualcomm processor (ARM8/64). The European version will not work with the Fly App.

View attachment 107305

I have found that the Samsung 8 inch tablet sold in Australia is also the T290 HOWEVER the full model is T290NZKAXSA and the one listed as being compatible with FLY is the T290NZKAXAR (subtle difference) and I am betting the one here in Australia is not compatible. I will have to see if my local store will try and install the DJI FLY app on the demonstration model. It seems that when installed RAM is less than 4GB then a 32 bit operating system is required and so why would Samsung provide a 64 bit version of Android when the 32 bit version will work?

I have found that the Australian Samsung Tab 8 model number is slightly different from the USA model even though still a TR-290. It is promoted here in Australia as 'special Australian version' and this often means not as good as the overseas model. I will check one out at my electrical store to see if it has 64bit Android 9 and I am betting it doesn't.
One method (suggested) to determine if a tablet has the 64 bit version is to check how much RAM there is. If 4GB or higher then it will have the 64 bit operating system. Less than 4GB and it might be the 32bit version.
Also I have been advised that all current IPAD tablets will run DJI FLY.

Hi, I am the person with the Lenovo TB 8504F that sideloaded the Fly-app for the Mavic Mini and have had no problems using it. I have not been around on this forum for some time as I upgraded to the Mavic Air 2. Still using the Lenovo Tab 850 with Dji Fly-app to run the Air 2.and still it is doing the job great.
I have opened the settings tab on the Tablet and the details are as follows: model - LenovoTB-8504F. - Android ver. - 8.1.0. - Kernel Ver, 3.18.71. - Build Number. TB-8504F_S001014_190420_ROW - Software Ver. -TB-8504F_RF01_170518. and Finally Hardware Ver. -LenovoTablet TB-8504F.
Hope this info will be of use to anyone who is looking for an 8x4 inch Tablet. As I have said before I am quite happy with this Model It works for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard