DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lens not Hasselblad

I've seen some posts and reviews suggesting the A2S lens is an un-branded Hasselblad. While this is not proof either way, it's interesting that on their website DJI explicitly denies it is Hasselblad.
https://www.dji.com/support/product/air-2s

View attachment 127633

Very unlikely. DJI have a sizeable financial investment in Hassleblad (the company) and would make use of the brand name if they chose to. That said, there is very little of the Mavic 2 Pro camera that has anything to do with Hassleblad either - their involvement was to help develop the colour processing technology.

Who cares about the brand? What matters is quality.

Absolutely but I’m sure those who saw the Hassleblad name on the M2P camera were misled by the belief they were getting a camera of the quality that Hassleblad had traditionally made. That was until they started rebranding Sony compact cameras. And it’s by no coincidence the heart of the M2P camera is also made by Sony (not that that is an issue).

Reactions: Ragnar
Like most generics (think grocery store brand items), you don't readily see who the manufacturer is but one can easily tell. Same here, the cost is likely the same to us but they saved a few bucks by saying it's their own.

Very unlikely. DJI have a sizeable financial investment in Hassleblad (the company) and would make use of the brand name if they chose to. That said, there is very little of the Mavic 2 Pro camera that has anything to do with Hassleblad either - their involvement was to help develop the colour processing technology.
They own it.
OwnerDJI (majority stake holder)

They own it.
OwnerDJI (majority stake holder)

Being a majority stake holder doesn’t imply they own the company. It means only that they have acquired the majority of the company’s listed shares, which can be as little as 51%. It gives them a greater say in the operation of the business but it is still a jointly owned company with the remaining share holders.

Reactions: TxArch DroneGuy
Being a majority stake holder doesn’t imply they own the company. It means only that they have acquired the majority of the company’s listed shares, which can be as little as 51%. It gives them a greater say in the operation of the business but it is still a jointly owned company with the remaining share holders.
I thought the whole idea of over 50% stake was when a vote comes you win every time.

I thought the whole idea of over 50% stake was when a vote comes you win every time.

It’s rarely that straight forward in business. It guarantees you a seat on the board of directors but on a director by director basis you can still be out voted. The company is steered by the CEO and that position is elected by the board of directors on behalf of the share holders.

Just seems an odd acquisition by DJI other than to use the once ‘synonymous with quality’ brand name.

The name is reserved for marketing on a higher end product. I doubt you'll find any advantage to the "hasselblad" branded camera on the Pro2. in fact, the 2s seems to outperform it in almost every way, thanks mostly to processing.

Also, often these sensors have "kit" lenses designed around the sensor themselves. there is very little to do other than use one of the designated implementations provided by the manufacturer of the sensor, and usually this will yield the best results since the sensor and lens system are designed together. Either way, you can sharpie Hasselblad on teh camera if you want. It performs up to par with the one DJI writes it on.

I didn't even think Hasselblad made lenses. I thought they made camera bodies which mostly used Zeiss lenses.
Yup, that's true. I have a Hasselblad 500c/m, with Carl Zeiss lenses. AFAIK they've never made lenses, at least not for the V-system cameras.

I certainly don't care, I just found it interesting that they deemed it necessary explicitly say it was not.
Maybe they just got tired of people asking and decided to put the info on their site in an effort to alleviate the annoyance of having to answer hundreds of phone calls a day on the subject.

Maybe they just got tired of people asking and decided to put the info on their site in an effort to alleviate the annoyance of having to answer hundreds of phone calls a day on the subject.

Or the skeptic in me says their lawyers have advised they don’t advertise something that it isn’t... like the M2P isn’t. False advertising.

I didn't even think Hasselblad made lenses. I thought they made camera bodies which mostly used Zeiss lenses.

Exactly correct, even in their heyday when Hassleblad were famous as “the first camera on the moon” and DJI were decades away from even existing Hassleblad did not and to my knowledge never did produce lenses.

The only thing Hassleblad on the M2Pro camera is the name stenciled on the camera housing (DJI paid a lot to buy that name lol) and what the Air 2S lacks that the M2Pro has are the “Hassleblad colour profiles” which is essentially a software implementation and is not there because DJI chose not to include it to keep some sort of market differentiation between the models. If you’re OK with post process work you can always fix that in Davinci, Premier Pro or the package of your choice.

Regards

Ari

Reactions: ninja_geezer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d