DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Less sky in a panorama?

Bosque

Reactions
Hi all, I'm wondering if there is a way to get the gimble to angle downwards during 180 degree panoramas? As is, half the picture is always sky which is sometimes nice but often seems a bit of a waste. Can't find anything in settings....anyone help ?

Fix it in post??? If your are taking the photo in raw DNG then there are heaps of options?

Ahh, actually, I just read your post again, and got it!!
Yeah, I got caught on this, and had to retake the shot from way back!
What happens if you start the shot from gimbal down???

Attachments

• resize2 180 pano 120.jpg
    resize2 180 pano 120.jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 29
That would be the obvious way to do it Simmo, but the gimbal seems to rise as soon as you start shooting the panorama. Not sure if it rises to straight ahead, but as Bosque says, it seems to result in too much sky. An option to start shooting with the gimbal facing down slightly would be far more pleasing i think.

Nice pano example btw.

Reactions: Simmo
Panoramas have lots of pixels... so editing is not a problem. This is a 9 image pano, then cropped to get the sky ratio I was looking for.... of course this has been compressed to upload, but the originals have plenty of detail.

PANO000y-Pano.jpg

Why not just take a manual panorama? Just set up the gimbal and take the shots yourself.
I never use the auto panorama function - manual is far more flexible.

Yes, that would work fine too, and I have done so on several occasions.I also use that method when I want to get bracketed exposures for my panos, which the DJI software does not allow you do at the same time.

There are options for vertical, horizontal, and 360 panos. If you want more ground and don’t want to manually do them, you could do a 360 and edit in post process. Just a thought.

Hi all, thanks for the suggestions . Being lazy I think I'll stick with cropping put excess sky. That's an awesome desert scene btw!

When doing 180 pano, gimbal vertical positions are +20°, 0°, -20°. I wonder if the option to disable upward gimbal tilt would help.
Gimbal settings -> Advanve Settings -> Enable Upward Gimbal Tilt Limit to 30°.

When you do a panorama with the camera angled down, this will result in the horizon being curved. This can be solved in post, but you have to know what you're doing, and it's not always easy (for example when there are mountains or so).
When you do manual panorama, you can do it with the camera angled down though and then having ICE stitch it together though. I think it will correct for the curved horizon.
Another option would be to do a photo sphere and crop away the unwanted pixels.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98