DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Let’s do a Mod Mavic Pilots

There is a way to go into Assistant 2, in debug mode, and you can choose “non DJI battery”. You can even use 4S, 6S....ect batteries. Basically change the parameters to suit whatever battery selection you want. Also, you can lower the voltage to a more realistic low voltage setting, and the Mavic will stay in air, and not auto land.
And, it’s probably very difficult to figure out, but you can adjust the center of gravity to suit the extra weight. I believe I have stumbled across the answer to all the Battery Mod woes.

Assistant 2 battery parameter change confirms, easy 30+ minute flight time. I was conservative, set the safety voltage to 10.5, and it continued to lift off after the screen tells me the voltage was low. Battery temperature never exceeded 57c.

Attachments

• EF904B26-4230-41AA-83ED-42C459E93821.jpeg
    EF904B26-4230-41AA-83ED-42C459E93821.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 42
I just hope all pilots looking to fly beyond stock batteries besides myself gets the information also!! Unbelievably there was exactly 10.5 volts on each of the Tenergy batts after the flight. And that’s what I set my voltage at in Assistant. I am 99.9999% certain that is I took it down to 10.2, I could get a couple more minutes. With only 2 super heavy old school Tenergy 2700mah batts.
I sincerely appreciate the encouragement, aside from my own personal flight goals, possibly helping someone else avoid the trial and error and get results is what I really wish to accomplish.

Have you guys read through the leaderboard thread, it has so many test with different batt. Some really experienced guys have done all you guys are trying to figure out. Just trying to help, it does have Alot of info.

Reactions: Texas Mavic
Have you guys read through the leaderboard thread, it has so many test with different batt. Some really experienced guys have done all you guys are trying to figure out. Just trying to help, it does have Alot of info.
I have seen some threads with lists of batteries that work and what not, but haven’t come across anything on here about switching voltage parameters. Can you share a link to the thread? Thanks!!!

Reactions: Former Member
Good job man! I'm going to try my hand at a battery mod here soon. You saved me hours of frustration playing with settings.

Jeff

I did the last test haven switched the setting to “non dji battery”. I am going to try it with DJi battery setting with the lower bottom voltages. The time ticker that rolls from right to left on Go 4 app loses the time, it’s just the little pill looking thing with two dashes in it until it gets down to 5 minutes left(according to whatever you set the low voltage to). My fear here is return from a long distance flight.

Just search here, have info. On mavic2 and 1 mods.

0bcb427af8a26198593a20391eba8917.jpg

Thanks for your input, there’s a tid bit of information on changing battery parameters for bench made cells. Awesome. Thanks!!

I have been working on the battery mod. I am far from an electrical engineer. All my knowledge is from work I have done in the audio engineering field, with no formal electrical training other than 20 years of hands on trial and error.
I recently tried the dual mounted battery mod. With successful results. However some of it has almost come at the expense of my Mavic Pro. Out of all the experiments that I have been able to do, I have come to believe that whatever cells, 1, 2, or 3... they all have to **** near match each other perfectly or you are wasting LOTS of voltage, and the cells start fighting each other. So this is what I am going to try. Two evenly charged Mavic batteries. One on top of the other. Into the battery clip. Xt60 connection. I have had issues with top mounted batteries and GPS issues. If I get that, I will split the three cells, mount one on top, one on left, one on right. That will be a pain in the rear to wire(see what I did there lol) but it’s worth a shot, and it may help with the Mavics balance in flight. Stay tuned, and any insight or advice from ANY member will be sincerely appreciated.
Thanks!!
Jake

Couldn't be much easier than using this no-solder setup with a pair of 3S 1300 mAh LiPos. I can get up to 45 minutes of flight time most of the time.

batmod-1.jpg batmod-2.jpg

Reactions: shot_by_SU
I have come to believe that whatever cells, 1, 2, or 3... they all have to **** near match each other perfectly or you are wasting LOTS of voltage, and the cells start fighting each other.

Jake,

The cells only fight each other if they are connected in parallel (i.e. when the +'ves are connected together and the -'ves connected to each other). When in series (end to end, -'ve to next battery +'ve) the voltages are added together. Hence an 11.1v LiPo battery is comprised of three cells of 3.7v each.

The series connected cells need to be matched because when the weakest runs out of steam, the battery voltage falls and the flight stops. This means that your battery is only as strong as your weakest cell. Smart chargers monitor the voltage of each cell individually so they will keep charging cells even when one of the others has finished, thereby ensuring that you get the maximum back from that pack. If you connect two 11v batteries together in series you will get 22you'll get a bit v which might upset your Mavic. If you connect them in parallel there'll be a bit of a spark at first as they try to match the terminal voltages of each other then they'll work together to approximately double your flight time (except it won't be double because you have to carry the extra weight of the battery).

There have been some successful examples of piggybacking batteries on YouTube but it would be much better if you could rebuild the battery with larger capacity cells instead. I think the Mavic Air would be the best candidate for this because it only has a 16min flight time and the battery is in the belly, not on its back. We might see someone put together such a battery for the Mavic Air but it's unlikely to be DJI because, with longer flight time, it would be better than the original Mavic in every way.

Paul

Jake,

The cells only fight each other if they are connected in parallel (i.e. when the +'ves are connected together and the -'ves connected to each other). When in series (end to end, -'ve to next battery +'ve) the voltages are added together. Hence an 11.1v LiPo battery is comprised of three cells of 3.7v each.

The series connected cells need to be matched because when the weakest runs out of steam, the battery voltage falls and the flight stops. This means that your battery is only as strong as your weakest cell. Smart chargers monitor the voltage of each cell individually so they will keep charging cells even when one of the others has finished, thereby ensuring that you get the maximum back from that pack. If you connect two 11v batteries together in series you will get 22you'll get a bit v which might upset your Mavic. If you connect them in parallel there'll be a bit of a spark at first as they try to match the terminal voltages of each other then they'll work together to approximately double your flight time (except it won't be double because you have to carry the extra weight of the battery).

There have been some successful examples of piggybacking batteries on YouTube but it would be much better if you could rebuild the battery with larger capacity cells instead. I think the Mavic Air would be the best candidate for this because it only has a 16min flight time and the battery is in the belly, not on its back. We might see someone put together such a battery for the Mavic Air but it's unlikely to be DJI because, with longer flight time, it would be better than the original Mavic in every way.

Paul
Thanks Paul!! The only time I had the issue of “charging” was with two 3000mah Lihvs into the battery clip. I rolled back the voltage and haven’t had any issues whatsoever. I have also come to understand that I would absolutely need to build lipos to get super serious flight time. However I just got back from testing. I used two 2700mah 25C lipos, dual mounted. Try as I most certainly have... I can’t seem to get my Mavic battery to charge to 13v across all 3 cells(Mavic battery) I just have a stock DJI charger... so I charge outboard batteries to match my Mavic battery like you are suggesting.
49500 feet, landing at 9% battery. I have gone into debug in Assistant and lowered the RTH voltage, across the board. To 10.5. Nonetheless I have ALMOST conquered what I set out to do with range, now I am going to take your advice and look into building the lipos. I have read some serious serious mah, very very low weight.
I sincerely appreciate the advice and input!!
-Jake

Jake,

Paul
Yep, parallel not series lol.... I don’t want to fly a Mavic Comet lol

Crikey..... that’s a lot of work you’re putting in there. It takes me about 5 seconds to switch my battery over to another one. What are you looking to achieve?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J