DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Let the incompetence begin

. The battery came completely discharged, the MP won't even turn on,

This is not normal. A battery (specially a new battery) should not be completely discharged. It should be at around 40/50% charge. A battery discharged under 5% of its nominal charge is a dead battery or at least a dying battery with a much shortened cycling capacity.

In your case, I would return the whole for refund or exchange.

The battery came completely discharged,

So, may I ask a bit off topic? Did the correct charger actually charge that battery? In my experience, a completely discharge LiPo is a brick. Smart chargers will not attempt to recharge one. I have managed it on older ones with standard connectors through a tricky and lengthy process one cell at a time, but don't know how you would do that on an MP battery.

Glad to hear you got some resolution, though. Happy flying!

This is not normal. A battery (specially a new battery) should not be completely discharged. It should be at around 40/50% charge. A battery discharged under 5% of its nominal charge is a dead battery or at least a dying battery with a much shortened cycling capacity.

In your case, I would return the whole for refund or exchange.

That’s not necessarily true.

It is very possible to revive a dead battery, even with a smart charge, albeit doing it successfully is very dangerous. If you have a smart charger, you set your charger to NiCad mode, and begin charging with a current of 0.1A. This is a very long process of which you have to stand by the battery constantly, and never leave, making sure the battery doesn't start to get hot. Once you have pushed the cells back up 2.7V. After that switch over to LiPo mode, and continue charging at 0.1A until the voltage reaches around 3.1V. Increase charging rate to 1C after that. Make sure you keep the cells balanced. The battery should be able to hold near rated capacity after that, though there may be some necrotic degradation. I've done it with one of my packs and I have not noticed any degraded capacity. If you you're wondering why my pack was so bad, it was a DOA. I wasn't required to return it for an a replacement. If you're wondering why I would be stupid to try to charge a LiPo with NiCad mode, the answer to that is I read some stuff online and decided to try it out, outside of course.

oops, I didn't mean completely discharged. I have 1 light come on during the check, but the Mavic powered on only once when the battery arrived (I didn't try flying though). Anyway, charger coming tomorrow, and with 1 light on, I think I'll be ok. At this point I'm tired of wasting time dealing with customer service, packing boxes, standing in post office lines, if this battery is bad, I'll just buy a new one, as I'm planning on having several anyway. Time to move on, thanks for all of the replies, I hope the Mavic itself doesn't have problems. It's been a shelf decoration for a 1.5 weeks now, haven't been flown once, so I'm planning on having its virgin flight tomorrow.

Hi, with one led your battery is not bad. Only if you had zero led, you could worry about it.
Heve a nice flight (after having checked everything, mainly IMU, compass and battery cells equilibrium)

When ever anyone make the purchase with you SA. They fight for you and they win 99.9 % of the time!

I have just received my Mavic Air, all 3 batteries appeared to be totally dead, no leads at all when pressing the button. It seems DJI has introduced a new Hibernation mode, it’s in the Air battery manual and states it’s necessary to connect the batteries to the Mavic charger to wake them out of Hibernation mode. Maybe this new software is now in the Pro batteries as well?

Correct, most DJI batteries are now being shipped at 10% or one light coming on when you push the button. This is with the Spark and Air batteries. Mavic Pro seem to still come pre-charged around 50% or so.

I have just received my Mavic Air, all 3 batteries no lights at all 0 %
i don't think this is a good sign for a long Battery life
i will return this Drone ,very disappointing

Why would you return it? You really think all 3 batteries are bad? Good grief...

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
Did you read this post that came just a couple posts before yours?
It seems DJI has introduced a new Hibernation mode, it’s in the Air battery manual and states it’s necessary to connect the batteries to the Mavic charger to wake them out of Hibernation mode.

I just got a brand new pro last week from amazon, and it shipped without the props. It only had the two which come attached. I was very irritated. A $1,100 investment(dji care) and i couldnt use the **** thing because dji forgot to put props in the box! The 2nd party seller on amazon had to overnight me props. They said that several customers had that happen, and dji doesnt have the best quality control. On another note, i have contacted dji via email a few times for questions, and they always respond fairly quickly.

I just got a brand new pro last week from amazon, and it shipped without the props. ...dji forgot to put props in the box! ...
Make sure to completely search every crevice of the box. Mine were tucked away under other packaging.

Reactions: Opabob
Bummer. Now order a set of Platinum props to fly with. They really are quieter.

I was very irritated. A $1,100 investment(dji care) and i couldnt use the **** thing because dji forgot to put props in the box!
Michael J. Fox is quoted saying "We strive for excellence and leave perfection up to God." 80-90% competence is the absolute most that can be expected of anyone, ever. Even DJI & you. Your Experience would appear to be in a serious minority.

Back on topic, the state of LiPo battery charge I imagine is increasingly specified in the ever changing shipping regulations around the world and DJI is attempting be in compliance everywhere and still deliver a functioning battery to those who are incapable of waiting an hour or a day to fly!

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
It is very possible to revive a dead battery, even with a smart charge, albeit doing it successfully is very dangerous. If you have a smart charger, you set your charger to NiCad mode, and begin charging with a current of 0.1A. This is a very long process of which you have to stand by the battery constantly, and never leave, making sure the battery doesn't start to get hot. Once you have pushed the cells back up 2.7V. After that switch over to LiPo mode, and continue charging at 0.1A until the voltage reaches around 3.1V. Increase charging rate to 1C after that. Make sure you keep the cells balanced. The battery should be able to hold near rated capacity after that, though there may be some necrotic degradation. I've done it with one of my packs and I have not noticed any degraded capacity. If you you're wondering why my pack was so bad, it was a DOA. I wasn't required to return it for an a replacement. If you're wondering why I would be stupid to try to charge a LiPo with NiCad mode, the answer to that is I read some stuff online and decided to try it out, outside of course.

Fact is none of my chargers for DJI MP batteries have any such thing as 'NiCad mode' so this process is not valid for proprietary battery construction. Only the older standard hobby batteries which have changeable connectors for generic battery chargers can be recovered this manner.

Just because it says "DJI" anywhere on the Amazon listing doesn't mean anything. For this type of money I'm going to by from either DJI directly or from a reputable dealer (like Advexuer). If something goes bad I want to be taken care of and some random 3rd party may or may not.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikair3