DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Let us beat this to death a Bit more

If an 8" screen isn't enough you can get the 10" version of the M5 instead. Substantially cheaper than any of the apple devices and will work just as well, if not better.

Reactions: charliesRig
I dont want to rip on, make folks who have BT-300's, feel bad.
But everytime i hear them mentioned, I feel Leet for having a Shield and my BT-30's.
Cant imagine using Moverios without a touch screen. But BT-300's are..um..a lighter setup, so
you have it better off :)

PS: If your only using the tablet for flying, 8" is the money imho. I think DJI agreed with the 7.85" CS.

Last edited:
I have used the iPad Mini 4 for the Mavic and the Mavic 2 Pro. Works great. Only limitation is in bright light. I recently purchased the DJI Smart Controller (1000 NITS, same as the Crystal Sky High Bright) and am so much happier. Keep the iPad in the case as a back-up. I also added a Thor Mount and put on the Feelworld FW279 Monitor (2200 NITS, brighter than the Crystal Sky Ultra Bright). It can be set up to show the Camera View only without the controller details so You can see the full screen. Several options available to you. If you go for the iPad with cell service, you will be paying close to the Smart Controller ($549) so you might be better with the SC. Just some food for thought. Good luck with whichever way you go.

View attachment 78998View attachment 78998
Nice looking setup. Could you detail a little more on the necessary parts/connections and maybe a photo from the backside?

...It can be set up to show the Camera View only without the controller details so You can see the full screen...
You can get rid of controller details by swiping up on the screen. Swiping down brings them back.

Attachments

• 20190806_222345.jpg
    20190806_222345.jpg
    764.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190806_222400.jpg
    20190806_222400.jpg
    993.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20190806_222415.jpg
    20190806_222415.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20190806_222440.jpg
    20190806_222440.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
Nice. Thanks

Understood. I like the above setup as I can monitor the controller stats, and watch the monitor to see the actuall view of the shot.
Nothing like a completely clean screen for composition, without all the telemetry and warnings obscuring your view, especially in the vital corners!

Reactions: PAW
Grab the ipad 2018 9.7in model....has the A10 so its powerful. I can dl 4k right to ipad and edit with lumafusion. No hiccups. Best of all i got mine for 279$ im sure u can find a similar deal

Grab the ipad 2018 9.7in model....has the A10 so its powerful. I can dl 4k right to ipad and edit with lumafusion. No hiccups. Best of all i got mine for 279$ im sure u can find a similar deal
I also got the iPad 9.7 and its worked well with Go4. The iPad mini 2 was not enough real estate or powerful enough to run Go4. I don’t find the 9.7 to be cumbersome or heavy with the mounting bracket on the controller and 3-sided shade. You only have to hold it for 18 minutes at a time. Get a folding canopy chair to help shade the screen. I also have an anti-glare screen protector.

I also got the iPad 9.7 and its worked well with Go4. The iPad mini 2 was not enough real estate or powerful enough to run Go4. I don’t find the 9.7 to be cumbersome or heavy with the mounting bracket on the controller and 3-sided shade. You only have to hold it for 18 minutes at a time. Get a folding canopy chair to help shade the screen. I also have an anti-glare screen protector.
The 9.7” iPad distributes the tablet weight better, and actually feels much lighter than the iPad Mini's, which feel more like a rock in the center to me, because of the smaller size, concentrating the weight more in the center, which feels heavier and less balanced overall. The much bigger screen is also another benefit, with all the clutter around the edges from the telemetry.

I have used the iPad Mini 4 for the Mavic and the Mavic 2 Pro. Works great. Only limitation is in bright light. I recently purchased the DJI Smart Controller (1000 NITS, same as the Crystal Sky High Bright) and am so much happier. Keep the iPad in the case as a back-up. I also added a Thor Mount and put on the Feelworld FW279 Monitor (2200 NITS, brighter than the Crystal Sky Ultra Bright). It can be set up to show the Camera View only without the controller details so You can see the full screen. Several options available to you. If you go for the iPad with cell service, you will be paying close to the Smart Controller ($549) so you might be better with the SC. Just some food for thought. Good luck with whichever way you go.

View attachment 78998View attachment 78998
How exactly - what settings strip away osd data from hdmi output ?
Very nice setup. I only used my fatsharks goggles with SC hdmi, but such monitor is a nice solution.

Could you pls post a link to the mount you used? Thx.

Last edited:
Get and use a mini5! The 4 is too close to its limits. Dedicated to you drone(s) and it will be bright and stay cool throughout the flight. Make sure you always wear a black shirt to reduce glare too. If you have the money, get a cellular version, without service so you have the GPS at the controller as well. Then you can have the home point follow the controller. Very convenient on boats!

Just my two cents

Tom S

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet