DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

License to fly in UK and EU?

ninetytwo

Reactions
Hello everyone, hope you’re all doing well.

I’m currently based in UK and started flying drones a few months back. I’ve recently registered myself for both the Flyers ID and Operator ID. I own a DJI FPV and will buy an Air 2S really soon.

I want to start doing professional jobs with these 2 drones, and as I understand, in the UK I will need the A2 CofC license to do so as these drones fall under the 4kg maximum take off mass. But it appears these licenses are only valid in the UK.

My question is if there is another license that I can invest that is also valid throughout Europe? I’m not sure in which areas I will be starting but I was thinking commercials, real estate, and maybe weddings. My dream is to become a professional videographer and I’m just starting out. I do know that having a commercial license might be easier to get jobs.

Any help is immensely appreciated!

Are you aware that you need a spotter ( a person who can see the drone with their eyes and communicate directly with you) stood beside you if you fly the FPV whilst wearing the googles?

Yes I am. I knew it even before buying the drone and doing my Operator ID exam. I don’t fly alone, my GF is always with me when I use the FPV.

Plus I would never feel safe flying without the awareness of my surroundings, but thanks for pointing it out. :)

Interesting scenario.

I’m sure with both your operator licence and AAOC A2 licence you’d be fine in Europe.

Let us know if you find a ‘advanced European licence’

Just pop an email to the CAA. I find them really helpful. It is always possible they will just refer you to “the Rules” but I have always had a considered response from them. The other route is to approach one of the Companies that offer A2 C of C courses and examinations-they’ll tell you what you need. They are all professionals and sure they will give their time to help.

I'm pretty sure that had the UK not left the EU any UK-issued licence or permit would have been recognised throughout the EU. Unfortunately I believe you would have to register in every country you wanted to operate in now that the UK is no longer a member.

Of course, I could be wrong.

@ninetytwo ,there are subtle differences between the UK and EASA rules now we have left the EU
the A2 C of C is primarily designed for hobbyists to fly in the A2 open category ,with a C rated drone when they become available towards the end of next year and it will be mandatory to have a A2 C of C to fly anything over 250g after the end of 2022
if you are indeed thinking of doing commercial work then you would be better off taking the GVC certificate which will allow you to fly in many more restricted places ,with the necessary permissions in place

Reactions: Brian I
Thanks a lot for your replies guys. I'll try and contact CAA, might be the best course of action. If get a proper answer I'll post it here.

@old man mavic but if I take the A2CofC I won't be able to fly commercially after 2022?

@ninetytwo you can fly your C rated drone with the A2 C of C after 2022 but only if the flight can be done in the open category
its all based on risk ,so if the flight carries a high risk due to location ,or whether there are going to be issues with safe operation then the flight has to be done in the specific category ,and for that your would need the GVC certificate
the distinction between hobby and commercial ,that used to exist has now been removed ,and as i said before, its all based on drone take off weight ,and the risk involved during the flight

Reactions: The Fat Controller
You can register in Ireland and get an A2 c of c that's valid accross whole of eu. I've not done it myself, I'm currently A1/A3 issued by Luxembourg so I could do step 6 of his advice. Here's the details from Mark Wingad's youtube channel "All About Drones":

To get setup an operator from the UK will need to do the following.

1. Setup an account with the IAA ( https://iaa.mysrs.ie ). This process is a little convoluted but essentially involves; - input name and email - Activate account through link in email sent to you by MYSRS. - Input details, address etc and upload ID (Passport, drivers licence etc). The IAA will then manually verify your details which can take up to 48hrs.

A Little trick here is to use a passport as your ID, rather than a drivers licence. Passports do not have postal addresses and so there is no address to compare with the address you provide. If the address on an ID is different from the details you provide, this can hold up the process. - Once account is verified, you will receive an email and you will be asked to setup a 2FA system. - Account is then ready.

2. Register as an operator within MYSRS account. Affix registration number to all drones.

3. Complete A1/A3 Remote Pilot course within MYSRS account. (Short video and 40 multiple choice questions).

4. Complete Open A2 training with Safe Drone Academy. https://academy.safedrone.ie/link/03AXhZ (course is very similar to UK A2. Theory, Self-Practical, Online Exam).

5. Apply for Open A2 certificate through IAA (MYSRS) system. When the application is made Safe Drone Academy recommend the award through the MYSRS system. (Drone Safe Academy provide a step-by-step lesson for this within the course)

6. Download the PDF A2 Certificate of Competency - valid EU wide for 5 years. Must keep on person (hard or digital copy) when flying. As you move between each EU country no need to the approach aviation authority to let them know you are flying.

If you already have a Luxembourg issued A1/A3 certificate, they must set up a MYSRS account but they can skip the training with the IAA for A1/A3 (Point 3). However, when you go to apply for the Open A2 (Point 5), they will have an additional step where they upload their A1/A3 identification number (Flyer ID) and the PDF certificate. The IAA will again manually confirm the details and then allow the Open A2 application continue. Costs, Safe Drone course and IAA exam: Eur149 A2 CoC: Eur45 (to IAA) Registration: Eur30 (to IAA)

Reactions: Pondhopper
Hello everyone, hope you’re all doing well.

I’m currently based in UK and started flying drones a few months back. I’ve recently registered myself for both the Flyers ID and Operator ID. I own a DJI FPV and will buy an Air 2S really soon.

I want to start doing professional jobs with these 2 drones, and as I understand, in the UK I will need the A2 CofC license to do so as these drones fall under the 4kg maximum take off mass. But it appears these licenses are only valid in the UK.

My question is if there is another license that I can invest that is also valid throughout Europe? I’m not sure in which areas I will be starting but I was thinking commercials, real estate, and maybe weddings. My dream is to become a professional videographer and I’m just starting out. I do know that having a commercial license might be easier to get jobs.

Any help is immensely appreciated!
Hi your U.K. licence is only valid for the U.K. to fly your drone in Europe you need a EASA licence. I obtained mine through a Luxembourg site free of charge after passing their exam , sorry cannot remember the site address, cheers Len

I registered in Ireland (because I travel there frequently from Northern Ireland). Their registration is valid for the rest of the EU, details on the IAA website.

Reactions: ackdrone
I registered in Ireland (because I travel there frequently from Northern Ireland). Their registration is valid for the rest of the EU, details on the IAA website.
Here's some more information about the process.

I'm pretty sure that had the UK not left the EU any UK-issued licence or permit would have been recognised throughout the EU. Unfortunately I believe you would have to register in every country you wanted to operate in now that the UK is no longer a member.

Of course, I could be wrong.
Only half wrong. Register in any eu country and most if not all eu countries wll accecpt the licence.

Only half wrong. Register in any eu country and most if not all eu countries wll accecpt the licence.
All. Plus several other non-EU European nations also accept it.

Reactions: Hursty
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000